MIDI Device List / Support

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
jrakarl

MIDI Device List / Support

Post by jrakarl »

Hello All,

I've recently moved over from Logic, where I used an old version of Sounddiver. I moved over largely because Apple don't support Sounddiver anymore and I hoped that the Cubase world had better support for hardware, BUT...

The list of Cubase supported devices seems VERY slim. I have a lot of outboard effects (Lexicon PCM70 and PCM80), Eventide H3000, Ensoniq DP-Pro etc etc etc plus synths: Sequential Prophet 5; Roland R8-M; Kawai K5000, SQ80 etc etc etc.. and there appears to be a real lack of device panels made to support a wide range of effects and synths. Both by Steinberg and the wider Cubase community.

I've checked out http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm#TEMPLATES and whilst very useful.. it dates from a much earlier version of Cubase. Frankly I was hoping that rather than starting from scratch there would be some elementary set ups for some common effects boxes...

Am I missing something? Or does Steinberg think that all hardware has evaporated? Is there a repository of device panels and set ups somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm scratching my head on this one.
Jules Fox
JLF Film & Audio

Sound design; composition; publishing and creative arts

jamusic

Re: MIDI Device List / Support

Post by jamusic »

Welcome.

Sadly, I think you're on your own on this one.

I too noticed the list being quite 'meek' when I bought Cubase last summer.

It would seem that this is an area that has been abandoned - or at least at the bottom of the priority scale.
-C7.5.4/8.0.4 -Win 7-x64 -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16G RAM
-ASUS nVidia GeForce Video Card -Hyper 212+ Cooler -3 SSDs -1TB Black Caviar HD -2 1TB External USB 3
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Advanced Audio CM67se Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre-Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre-Amp
-Roland V-Piano -Yamaha P-200/88 key & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules -Way Too Many VSTs -Little To No Talent ;)

Neil K

Post by Neil K »

I was also looking for a way to control 3 reverb units as well (Lexicon MPX1, Eventide 3000, and Yamah Pro R3) via MIDI. Are there any MIDI map files available for download? I couldn't seem to find any on the web. I've set up other devices that are more popular with files. I just don't have the time to map every single control in these units.
Neil Kesterson
Dynamix Productions
Lexington, KY

http://www.dxaudio.com

Nuendo 10.x
Mac Pro Late 2013 Trashcan (3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5; 32GB 18663MHz DDR3 ECC memory)
Glyph GT062E 2Tb RAID (USB3) + many other hard drives
Yamaha n12; Steinberg MR816X
Endless pot of coffee

jrakarl

Post by jrakarl »

Thanks for the replies folks. nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. I have been informed via another forum that there is little to no support for hardware with the exCeption of MidiQuest, which appears to have fairly good ongoing support.

I will post in the "requests" section and would appreciate you guys joining me in lobbying Cubase to support hardware in a more comprehensive way.
Jules Fox
JLF Film & Audio

jrakarl

Post by jrakarl »

Neil K wrote:I was also looking for a way to control 3 reverb units as well (Lexicon MPX1, Eventide 3000, and Yamah Pro R3) via MIDI. Are there any MIDI map files available for download? I couldn't seem to find any on the web. I've set up other devices that are more popular with files. I just don't have the time to map every single control in these units.
I forgot to mention Neil, I too am looking for a H3000 control. The Pro R3 sounds like a great unit.

I would list my devices but it's long and frankly this is the reason at need a good editor controller with support for hardware units.
Jules Fox
JLF Film & Audio

Neil K

Post by Neil K »

A side note, jrakari, I have a client that wants to buy my Eventide every time he comes in. I don't use it often enough, but it's like that special mic that sits in the mic locker that is just right for that one recording every so often. I just can't get rid of it because of it's unique sounds.

Yes, the Pro R3 is a great unit with a very friendly interface. The 2 best features are the analog EQ on the back end to filter the sound of the reverb/effect, and the "infinite" button that will hold a sustain forever. Way cool.
Neil Kesterson
Dynamix Productions
Lexington, KY

http://www.dxaudio.com

Nuendo 10.x
Mac Pro Late 2013 Trashcan (3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5; 32GB 18663MHz DDR3 ECC memory)
Glyph GT062E 2Tb RAID (USB3) + many other hard drives
Yamaha n12; Steinberg MR816X
Endless pot of coffee

jrakarl

Post by jrakarl »

Hey Neil, great to hear the H3000 love. I use mine often - last time yesterday on a complex set of synth sounds each being AUXed to the H3000 (259) SymphonicChorus effect. B-E-AU-TiFuLL... lol
Now, if we could tweek an effect , save the sys-ex into a song file, via the well integrated MIDI interface on Cubase, we'd be leading happier lives!!!

I loved your description of the hold Eventide has over you :-)

I lusted after a Pro-R3 for quite a while, then I realised I don't have any rack space left for another reverb unit.
My main reverb/delay rack (top to bottom) = Ensoniq DP-Pro; Eventide H3000 (upgraded to 3500) ; Lexicon PCM80; Ensoniq DP-4; Sony MU-R201; Yamaha D1500; Korg SDD-2000. The Behringer V-Verb I have is at the top of my compression rack .. and who knows what I'll do when I've fixed the power caps in my PCM70... where will I put it?! hahhahahaa
Jules Fox
JLF Film & Audio

gufzzz

Post by gufzzz »

jrakarl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:02 am
Hello All,

I've recently moved over from Logic, where I used an old version of Sounddiver. I moved over largely because Apple don't support Sounddiver anymore and I hoped that the Cubase world had better support for hardware, BUT...

The list of Cubase supported devices seems VERY slim. I have a lot of outboard effects (Lexicon PCM70 and PCM80), Eventide H3000, Ensoniq DP-Pro etc etc etc plus synths: Sequential Prophet 5; Roland R8-M; Kawai K5000, SQ80 etc etc etc.. and there appears to be a real lack of device panels made to support a wide range of effects and synths. Both by Steinberg and the wider Cubase community.

I've checked out http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm#TEMPLATES and whilst very useful.. it dates from a much earlier version of Cubase. Frankly I was hoping that rather than starting from scratch there would be some elementary set ups for some common effects boxes...

Am I missing something? Or does Steinberg think that all hardware has evaporated? Is there a repository of device panels and set ups somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm scratching my head on this one.
Hi jrakarl, did you found any midi device panel for the PCM80?

Return to “Older Cubase versions”