Support Requests - Do they ever get answered?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
analogueheart

Support Requests - Do they ever get answered?

Post by analogueheart »

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this - but I don't know where else to post this query...

I have now submitted 5 separate support requests via the MySteinberg portal and have yet to receive an acknowledgement, let alone a reply. All fields were filled in as requested and all information given as required.

Just to put this in context of expected levels of web-based customer service, if I use Native Instruments support system, I not only get an acknowledgement within minutes - but I have always received an answer within 24 hours.

Is it just me - or does anyone else suffer from these problems?

Further, is there anybody there (hello moderators) who can help me with either of my issues?

Thanks,
Mike
MacMini 2.6GHz / 16GB / 8TB / OS 10.14.6 / UR824 / Cubase 10.5 / Absolute 4

Puma0382

Re: Support Requests - Do they ever get answered?

Post by Puma0382 »

Hi,

When did you send the reports..? My experience has been that I've received a response no later than 48 hrs after submission; often times sooner.

Bear in mind, I believe their support team runs normal business hours (mon-Fri 9.00 - 5.00 ish) and you should expect no moderator input here on the forums over the weekend; if you do see some, its out of their own time/choosing.

As you've probably seen, there are telephone 'hotlines' for personal support (via your local distributor) - whom I expect will have their own hours/level of support offered (weekends/out-of-hours - I don't know..).

Also, have you searched/used the KBase...? Or checked the C6 list of Issues/Solutions in the version history doc for known problems and workarounds - either of which might help...

In the meantime, you could always post your issues here anyway, and someone may be able to offer help/advice. ;)

List each issue in a separate thread, and (if its a possible bug) post exact steps to repro (system specs are always a help too...!)

HTH
Bob
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Post by Guest »

I asked a support question once, a very long time ago (VST 3.7, I believe).

The answer that I received was wrong, and asked me for information which I had already supplied in the support request.

I find Stone Mountain support to be typical of computer support elsewhere.

Useless.

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

Aloha
Just to chine in on this.
I recently had a problem and needed tech supports help.

Steinberg Support got back in touch with me within two days and
worked with me over the next couple of days to solve my problem to my satisfaction.

They even pointed out a 'check box' at my MySteinberg acct that I had neglected to tick;
which can allow for additional support.

I seldom have need for support services so it's nice to know that when I do,
the crew is up-and-running.

HTH
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

johngar

Post by johngar »

It has been hit and miss with me.
I have had a quick response on one particular issue, they asked me a qeustion via email, I answered, they responded, I asked another question, no answer, ask again, no answer, ask again, no answer.
It seems if they don't know they won't respond.
I have had some issues go unanswered.
I also have have had quick correct responses.
I guess it depends on who you get, some techs are better than others, but the overall support is not good at all.
PC | Nuendo 10 | i7-4930k | Win10 | 32gb ram | Intensity Pro | Radeon HD7700 | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Generic

artifactdetroit.com

analogueheart

Post by analogueheart »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to add a little more detail, the first (two) of my support requests was probably about 7 months ago - when I was struggling with VST System Link using my MR816CSX. No answer. Nothing on the knowledgebase. I did find a thread on the forum on the subject (and the original poster suggested that it was a known issue that had not been addressed for him either) - but alas the thread was not answered by a moderator and unfortunately fizzled out.

My current request is to do with a registration / license issue with an update I have purchased and this is quite a specific matter for which I really need help from the techs - not fellow end-users. So far, no answer.

I could really do without calling Germany - I don't actually feel I need to speak to someone as a nice, cordial e-mail dialogue will do just fine. I've never needed to speak to Native Instruments, but the long and very sociable exchanges that I have had with their tech guys actually makes me want to call up and thank them personally!

Now, quite a few years ago there was a firm called Arbiter UK, who got hideous amounts of flak for their support - but for me, they were streets ahead - they had a clear history of any dealing I had with them and I could even request a particular team member (okay, they were not always available - but you can't have everything).

The most irritating thing of all is that if my current request again goes unanswered, then I will need to submit it again from scratch. Please Steinberg, can your system please at least be modified to acknowledge my requests, to give me a ticket number and store my open tickets somewhere?

I can see that there has obviously been quite a lot of time and money invested in the revamp to the web-pages and more recently, the forum. How about some of those resources are allocated to the support system.

Is anyone listening?
Last edited by analogueheart on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

analogueheart

Post by analogueheart »

Hey, I've just realised someone must have read my post - as I've been moved to the Music Lounge. Rather than just move my post - how about giving someone a nudge for me!

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

lol that's a bit unsatisfying :?
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

analogueheart wrote:Hey, I've just realised someone must have read my post - as I've been moved to the Music Lounge. Rather than just move my post - how about giving someone a nudge for me!
Are you in the US?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

analogueheart

Post by analogueheart »

Hi Steve,
No, I'm in the UK.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

analogueheart wrote:Hi Steve,
No, I'm in the UK.
That's germane to the question. My support requests to the US team usually get answered within hours. Whether they can solve the problem or not is another question. I would say overall support from them has been okay.

It would be awfully nice if more forum member posted their location and OS in their sigs.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Post by Guest »

@analogueheart

Did you use the same email address you are registerd with in MySteinberg to send us an email? If so, there is nothing in our inbox. If it is a different address, please send me a PM, so I can search for that one. If customers send emails using regular Steinberg email addresses and not the support request form in MySteinberg it happened more than once that the email ended up in the spam folders. As we receive thousands of emails each month, it is not always easy to check for those mails as well...

Post by Guest »

Hi ed

Are customer addresses used in mysteinberg quarantined from any kind of spam filter in that they will always "get through"?

Post by Guest »

Brains wrote:Hi ed

Are customer addresses used in mysteinberg quarantined from any kind of spam filter in that they will always "get through"?
If everyone used the support request form, they would get through (leaving aside any unforseeable technical issues) but if customers try to reach us on any of the direct mail addresses, chances are higher that a mail might get lost. But then again the other 99 percent will reach us anyway...

Post by Guest »

Are you saying there is in fact an international support form in existence?

Post by Guest »

Not an international one, no. US customers and most parts of Europe can use the support request form in MySteinberg. All others will have to mail their local support at our distributors. http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/distributor.html

Post by Guest »

EdDoll wrote:All others will have to mail their local support at our distributors. http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/distributor.html
That's fair I suppose.

I had used the Yamaha (steinberg) support form and it requested either my Steinberg Key or elicenser numbers.

Is there any need to use the Steinberg Key anymore with the e-licenser software?

Moreover is there any integration with Steinbergs database for login etc considering the partnership is unlikely to end since I'd rather not have to reference a secondary authentication method, lest a physical piece of hardware?

analogueheart

Post by analogueheart »

Hi Ed,

Have PM'd you with details of both problems.

Thanks,
Mike

Post by Guest »

Brains wrote:
EdDoll wrote:All others will have to mail their local support at our distributors. http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/distributor.html
That's fair I suppose.

I had used the Yamaha (steinberg) support form and it requested either my Steinberg Key or elicenser numbers.

Is there any need to use the Steinberg Key anymore with the e-licenser software?

Moreover is there any integration with Steinbergs database for login etc considering the partnership is unlikely to end since I'd rather not have to reference a secondary authentication method, lest a physical piece of hardware?
It's still the Steinberg support form ;) I don't really understand your question I am afraid. If you issue a support inquiry, you need to select the USB-eLicenser (formerly known as Steinberg Key). There is absolutely no coonection between the Steinberg database and the general Yamaha customer databases and I think that an integration would be a huge effort.

Post by Guest »

Sure.

But when you go to the trouble of:

a) Finding the support form (no direct linking from steinberg int.)

b) Finding those dongle numbers

c) Fill out the form asking a simple question such as "do you have an up-to-date pricelist"?

d) Get an answer "call your local music store".

It is really a really poor performance in my view and negates its' purpose, otherwise I'd have called and wasted their time instead of mine.

I really hope SB can bring some quality control to their dinosaur like status, since the only other company I know of that behaves in that way begins with R.

Post by Guest »

Brains wrote:Sure.

But when you go to the trouble of:

a) Finding the support form (no direct linking from steinberg int.)
http://www.steinberg.net -> Support -> Contact
What exactly is missing? Also, if you have registered products and eLicensers in MySteinberg and you live in a country that is supported by us or the US team, you should have come across the support request form that is part of your MySteinberg account.
Brains wrote:b) Finding those dongle numbers
You just have to find them once. And they are easily accessible in the eLicenser Control Center- After you registered your eLicensers, they are stored in MySteinberg.
Brains wrote:c) Fill out the form asking a simple question such as "do you have an up-to-date pricelist"?
Where do you live? We do have the online shop that shows a lot of prices but please keep in mind that there is no such international price list as prices vary depending on countries and also depending on the distributors responsible for selling our products in their region. It would be more dinosaur like to send price lists around... ;)
Brains wrote:d) Get an answer "call your local music store".
Okay, that might not be the most politically correct answer but maybe the most efficient one depending on the country you live in and the product you were asking for.

But I agree, you should have been given a better answer and I apologize for that. If you have any details on that request, please let me know!

Post by Guest »

Well the product is out now and already there has been a price drop and they seem generous as against an educational discount so I'm not complaining in that regard.

The Yamaha site of my country has published pdf pricelists in the past and has kept them up to date but it seems when you ask directly you will inevitably suffer as obviously information is not readily shared between the "david and goliath" of the music world, at least in the early stages of new product releases.

In any case the least that Steinberg/Yamaha can do is look at a global login mechanism, even if it only applies to Steinberg itself, as of course we must log in twice (once in mysteinberg and another in the forum) and many sites out there have globalized logins anyway even if only for a single domain.

Post by Guest »

Please keep in mind that we are still Steinberg and are able to work as a partly independent company under the Yamaha umbrella. Making one global log-in for Yamaha and Steinberg doesn't make that much sense atm.

So who did you ask and where do you live?

BTW MySteinberg and the forum use the same log-in data. So that's just one log-in.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”