inserting beat rest

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
dsprung

inserting beat rest

Post by dsprung »

I have tried numerous ways to insert a beat rest in an existing measure that pushes everything over and it does not respond. What I have done is insert a note and then delete it with the backspace and that creates the beat rest. Is that the only way?

pianoleo
Grand Master

Re: inserting beat rest

Post by pianoleo »

Invoke caret.
Type I to turn on Insert mode
Type , to turn on Rest input
Type 6 for a quarter/crotchet (assuming that’s how long the “beat” you want is - you haven’t told us)
Type Y (or any letter from A-G) to type a rest.

Remember to turn off Insert mode and Rest mode when you’re done.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

dsprung

Post by dsprung »

Since I turned off mouse entry, I discovered that I can insert a rest by doing what you said but on the fourth step, I just hit any note on my midi keyboard and, voila, a rest shows up. How cool is that?

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Another way is to lengthen a note in insert mode (to push the rest of the score to the right) and then shorten it in overwrite mode.

For example if you want to insert a quarter rest after a quarter note, select the note and press I 7 I 6 (those are the letter I for insert mode, not the digit 1).

That's the same number of key strokes as pianoleo's method, but it might be faster to type.

Return to “Dorico”