Feature Film Deliverables - Client asking for "Master PT Session"

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
Captain_Dan

Feature Film Deliverables - Client asking for "Master PT Session"

Post by Captain_Dan »

Hey folks,

I've been sent a list of deliverables (pasted at the bottom of this post) for a low budget feature I mixed about 6 months ago. I think some of these requests are a little outdated (does anyone use CDs any more?) and I've queried most of them just to make sure we're on the same page as it looks like a bit of a copy/paste mashup to me.

The first request is my main concern at the moment as obviously I've done this feature entirely within Nuendo. My interpretation is that they're wanting all of their subsequent deliverable requests to be popped into a PT session and named / labelled there.

As far as I understand it's very unusual for studios to ask for the actual session files but I was wondering if anyone else had dealt with this sort of thing? I can't see an easy way of taking the entire session from one DAW to another (along with all the routing, mixing, plugins, etc). Even if I'd been working in PT from the start giving them the entire session opens a can of worms regarding SFX licensing and no doubt there would be plugin mismatches etc etc etc... Sounds liked a nightmare & I'm really hoping I don't have to deal with it besides chucking some stems into PT ;-)

List of Deliverables
"1) All Sound Track Masters are required to be delivered as ProTools compatible session conformed to the High Def Masters described above listed in “Video Masters";
2) 5.1 + LT/RT English Printmaster;
3) 5.1 and 2.0 M&E;
4) Dialogue, Music, Effects Master, stereo and 6 track; 
5) 6+2 Foreign Language Mix and the Dialogue track with also a 2.0 Dialogue Stem; and
6) If available, One (1) CD containing the unmixed music score of the Picture."

Tumppi Järnefelt

Re: Feature Film Deliverables - Client asking for "Master PT Session"

Post by Tumppi Järnefelt »

Make a project with all the masters and stem in a multimono format. Then make an aaf out of that.

Done. It is PT compatible.

OT. Who uses LT/Rt nowadays?
Intel i7-7700 @3.6 GHz, Win10 home, 64bit
ADK laptop i7, Win7 64bit home
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch
http://www.finnvox.fi/en/cinepost

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am
The same people who use audio cd's?....
Nuendo 10.3 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 2004 build 19041.450 / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

Tumppi Järnefelt

MattiasNYC wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:05 pm
Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am
The same people who use audio cd's?....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch

Captain_Dan

Post by Captain_Dan »

Yeah I've never done an LtRt before so I've already questioned whether it's actually required - from doing a bit of research on Google most people have been saying that it's an outdated format and that they probably actually just want a Stereo 2.0. It never seems like anyone checks the deliverable lists before they send them out...

Thanks for the help and advice folks, really appreciate it!

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier »

We've got one client who always wants the "ProTools session" of the mix. As Trumppi stated above, I make an AAF and say "Here you go". End of story. Never had a complaint.
ASUS/Intel Z270 chipset - Core i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz - 32GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX, current driver
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI, current driver
AVID Artist mix, current driver
Windows 10

Asus Notebook Core i7 5500U 12 GB RAM
Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah »

.... but, isn't the ProTools session "my" property? Do they want to re0mix it? :shock:
Derrkins

If that's really what you hear, Play It, Sing It, Write It or Program It!

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X Mojave 10.14.6; Nuendo 10.2.10.301; Sibelius 7.5; iPad Pro 13"; Cubasis, WaveLab 10.00; Dorico V3.0.0.1038 (Loving it).

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

It is whatever the contract says it is.

But I think the idea at least some people have is that since it isn't clearly specified that you actually send the mix with all automation and plugins you instead create your mix and set your PT session up with routing of stems into the desired mixes. No automation, no plugins. They then have what the deliverable spec doc says.

I'm guessing it's probably just what some people say because they've heard it or read it, and in most cases it will never be used.
Nuendo 10.3 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 2004 build 19041.450 / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier »

MattiasNYC wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 pm
I'm guessing it's probably just what some people say because they've heard it or read it, and in most cases it will never be used.
Exactly.
ASUS/Intel Z270 chipset - Core i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz - 32GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX, current driver
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI, current driver
AVID Artist mix, current driver
Windows 10

Asus Notebook Core i7 5500U 12 GB RAM
Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

audiomonkeys

Post by audiomonkeys »

The way I read it, is the Stems and Master are expected to be compatible to drop in or if you can deliver them in a PT session, Thats what I've always done.
Nuendo 10.2.20, Video Decoder for Avid DNxHD(R) Spectralayers Pro 6 Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.3
Mac Pro 5.1 3.33 Ghz - 12 core, 32 Bg RAM. OS10.12.6 Smart AV Tango +12 fader Ext, Dolby Atmos Suite, Blackmagic Intensity Pro - 5 litres of good Japanese Sake (and more coming) and 100% no CRACK plugins

Tumppi Järnefelt

audiomonkeys wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm
The way I read it, is the Stems and Master are expected to be compatible to drop in or if you can deliver them in a PT session, Thats what I've always done.
Yep
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch

Wheels

Post by Wheels »

You might consider taking a cue from our video counterparts, The client owns the finished product, video etc. If they want all the raw footage and your edit sessions etc that is negotiated and should cost a fair bit of money on top of what they've already paid you. Music Mix engineers have been doing this for a long time too.
John "Wheels" Hurlbut

Nuendo 10, Cubase 10.5, PT 10 & 11.Win 10 Pro PC, i9 12 Core CPU, 128 Gig Ram, Dangerous Source Monitor Controller, SSL Nucleus Console. Waves and UAD II Plug-ins etc. Adobe Creative Cloud.

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah »

Wheels wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 am
You might consider taking a cue from our video counterparts, The client owns the finished product, video etc. If they want all the raw footage and your edit sessions etc that is negotiated and should cost a fair bit of money on top of what they've already paid you. Music Mix engineers have been doing this for a long time too.
The client owns the finished product, video etc.
.... and that only!
If they want all the raw footage
They can have that too. They probably would have provided it, right?
.... and your edit sessions etc that is negotiated and should cost a fair bit of money on top of what they've already paid you.
If they insist, they pay!
Derrkins

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X Mojave 10.14.6; Nuendo 10.2.10.301; Sibelius 7.5; iPad Pro 13"; Cubasis, WaveLab 10.00; Dorico V3.0.0.1038 (Loving it).

Captain_Dan

Post by Captain_Dan »

Hey folks here's an update in case anyone's interested. As I suspected it was a massive copy/paste situation and all that they ACTUALLY want is:
Main Mix - 5.1 + 2.0
DME Stems - 5.1 + 2.0
M&E - 5.1 + 2.0
(All mono tracks)
So I'll chuck all of those into a PT session and call it a day :-D

The specs were asking for stuff in every way possible which seems absolutely mad - we have "5.1" and "6 track" being used interchangeably and "LT/RT", "2.0" and "stereo" all being used totally interchangeably as well...

The only thing super clear was the number of CDs they wanted the unmixed score on: "One (1) CD". Of course it turned out that they'd rather have that digitally delivered along with everything else. Who writes these things?!

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah »

Captain_Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:08 pm
Hey folks here's an update in case anyone's interested. As I suspected it was a massive copy/paste situation and all that they ACTUALLY want is:
Main Mix - 5.1 + 2.0
DME Stems - 5.1 + 2.0
M&E - 5.1 + 2.0
(All mono tracks)
So I'll chuck all of those into a PT session and call it a day :-D

The specs were asking for stuff in every way possible which seems absolutely mad - we have "5.1" and "6 track" being used interchangeably and "LT/RT", "2.0" and "stereo" all being used totally interchangeably as well...

The only thing super clear was the number of CDs they wanted the unmixed score on: "One (1) CD". Of course it turned out that they'd rather have that digitally delivered along with everything else. Who writes these things?!
SMH

Put that on the list of stories for your grandchildren. :lol:
Derrkins

Return to “General”