Bugs WaveLab Pro 10.0.10 / 10.0.20

Hello! I already posted this in the German section of the forum (see Fehler (Wavelab Pro 10.0.10) - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums), but since there wasn’t any response yet, I’ve decided to post this again in the English section (even if these points may be already known … and it seems that there is more going on here).
Since I’m using the German Version of WaveLab, the used terms might not be fully correct, I’ll just try to go with my common knowlegde of language, or try to explain it.

I’m using WaveLab 10.0.10 on Windows 10 Pro and with the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver. No other special audio equipment.
Here we go…

Show grid:
In an audio montage I have the option to show a grid. Initially the lines are correctly aligned to the time (or whatever measurement I select), but as soon as I zoom in or out (via [ctrl]+[mousewheel] or [arrow up/down]), the lines get misaligned (see attachment). I even had a few cases, where the grid-lines of one track were misaligned to the (misaligned) lines of other tracks (I don’t know the conditions for this, though … maybe some editing or adding of effects). The lines align correctly again, as soon as I move a clip, resize the montage window or just make a selection within the montage.
I know it’s not a severe bug (because it’s just an “optical” error, not a functional error), but it is sometimes confusing and the feature works fine in WaveLab Pro 9.5.

Zoom with mousewheel in audio montage:
I’m used to zoom with [ctrl]+[mousewheel]. In WL 9.5 I can zoom right to the point, where my mouse-cursor is located - free from the acutal position of the red position-marker. It’s an easy and fast way to navigate within an audio montage (and I’m used to it that way in other applications, too). In WL 10 it doesn’t work that way anymore, it just zooms me either centered to the red position-marker, or centered to the current visible section of the montage, if the red marker is outside that section (I think this is just the behavior of zooming with [arrow up/down]).
When I’m working in the audio-editor, the zoom with mousewheel works just fine as I’m used to.

And another bug I encountered recently (works fine in WL 9.5): When zooming in into an audio montage with [ctrl]+[mousewheel] (and even with [arrow up/down]), at a certain magnification (near or at the “microscope” zoom-level) the visible section of the montage jumps straight to the beginning of the montage, instead to the section I wanted to zoom in. The combination [Z]>[M] itself works fine, though.

Render (Multi):
When I want to render multiple montages via the function “Render” > “Multi” to WAV-files or temporary files, then nothing happens as soon as I click “Start” - no error message, it just doesn’t do anything. And again, this function works fine in WL 9.5 (with same export settings).

In general I think WL 10 is good, but I would like to see these things fixed. I would further use WL 9.5, but since I installed the 9.5.5 Update just some weeks ago I cannot fully use some plug-ins from Melda Production that I’m often working with (neither VTS2 or VST3 … they worked fine in WL 9.5.4, and they work fine in WL 10.0.10 and Adobe Audition CC), so I’m arranging with WL 10 for now and hope for a new update (since the WL 9.5.4 Update isn’t available for Windows anymore).
wl_grid_bug.png

I do not use Melda plugs but I know there is a recent (December 2019) update https://www.meldaproduction.com/

If you have not updated, that might help.

I know. I already tested the last few updates (with a quick deinstallation of the old plug-in version), but it still doesn’t work properly. Some Melda plug-ins have an built-in band filter/eq or a editable graph for custom shaping, which settings are activated/accessed via a double-click or right-mouseclick (like a context menu), but for whatever reason this doesn’t work with the WL 9.5.5 Update (and again, it worked fine in WL 9.5.4 and it works fine in WL 10.0.10 and latest Adobe Audition). But that problem would be a problem for the WaveLab 9 forum.

Thanks for your accurate reports.

Show grid

Will be fixed in next update

Zoom with mousewheel in audio montage

Render (Multi)

DMG Equilibrium freezes the popup gui that can’t be closed or moved. Plugin applied on clip. DMG Multiplicity worked fine in same conditions.

Hi,
Another good reason to stick to WL 9.5: When recording the marker Buttons are always disable, no means to set a Marker in this WL10 version…
Waiting for a new update, in the meantime I am using WL9.5 only
AMG
I have attached two screen shoots to show the differences between the two WL versions
WL_9.5_MarkerButtonsOK.png
WL10_Disable Markerbuttons.png

When recording the marker Buttons are always disable

I can’t find a problem here. But note that you must record to WAV or AIFF file formats, else the buttons are disabled. This is the same in WaveLab 9.5.
2020-01-12_23-50-27.png

Hello, when I’m Rendering > Multiple Outputs > All Clip Groups > it mixes all the different groups together. That was not happening in version 9.5.

It’s unbelievable how many bugs has v10.
A new one: In batch processing when you add a plugin (e.g. a Limiter) and make tweaks, when you close the gui to start the batch processing of the files, Wavelab crashes. This happens EVERY TIME and with different plugins.
I’m very disappointed from W.v10

A new one: In batch processing when you add a plugin (e.g. a Limiter) and make tweaks, when you close the gui to start the batch processing of the files, Wavelab crashes. This happens EVERY TIME and with different plugins.

Actually, this bug is also in WaveLab 9.5.50… and was never reported until… 2 days ago (!). This happens on the Mac only.
The workaround for now, it to setup the plugins in the Master Section, and create the batch processor from the Master Section.
Unfortunately it’s too late today to have a fix for 10.0.20.

Philippe

At least thanks for the workaround PG!

Thanks for the 10.0.20 Update. It works fine now, except one thing I already mentioned:

And another bug I encountered recently (works fine in WL 9.5): When zooming in into an audio montage with [ctrl]+[mousewheel] (and even with [arrow up/down]), at a certain magnification (near or at the “microscope” zoom-level) the visible section of the montage jumps straight to the beginning of the montage, instead to the section I wanted to zoom in. The combination [Z]>[M] itself works fine, though.

The threshold for this problem seems to be variable, probably depending on the length of the montage. The highest magnification I could get in a 5-hour montage was a 2:1 Pixel per Sample ratio, when trying a 3:1 ratio I immediatley jumped to the start. Shorter montages allowed me higher zoom ratios. Sometimes I have to align two clips as exactly as possible (sample-accurate) and therefore a high magnification is important.

One last thing I noticed since I upgraded from WL 9.5 to WL 10:
The Live Spectrogram in WL 10 has some delay until it starts drawing the spectrum. When I start playback, the Live Spectrogram seems to do nothing for about 500ms to 1500ms (depending on the FFT size… and possibly loaded Master-plug-ins), but then it immediately catches up to the current playback and even shows the spectrum of the already played audio.
As mentioned in my first post I’m using the Generic Low Latency Driver with an onboard-soundchip from Realtek and Win 10 Pro. I do also have a TEAC UD-301 USB DAC, which has a dedicated ASIO driver, but the delay still exists when using it. In WL 9.5 I worked with MME, which had no recognizable delay in the Live Spectrogram at all. I also tested the Generic ASIO Driver in WL 9.5, but there was only a very short delay before playback and drawing of the Live Spectrogram.
So, is this a general “problem” in WL 10, or is it a specific problem with my setup?

Concerning the zoom issue, this has been reported by several users too. I was not able to reproduce yet, but I will try again until I can.

Concerning the Live Spectrogram delay, I can see that here too, hence this is not your setup. I will try to improve this.

Thanks for your reports.

FYI, your zoom report has provided me a hint that helped me reproduce (and fix) the problem :slight_smile:

Sounds good. I’m glad to help.

Guys are you joking?
10.0.20 crashes more than previous release. Opened today just for fun and crashed 2 times in 20 minutes with a saved test session that was quite stable with 10.0.10. Are you in a guess process? Is a joke?

Please give more details if you have a problem.

i have no particular details, the problem is that the thing crashes like a stock car. 10.0.20 crashed 2 times in 20 minutes a quite stable session made on 10.0.10. I already reported a gui freeze with Equilibrium on 12th january.
Today was just a montage with 2 effects (sonnox limiter on a clip and limitless on output), no gui opened nor equilibrium involved this time, just skipping the cursor around. The session appeared to be stable on 10.0.10. As usual i’m on a macpro running Mojave. I sent the crash report to Apple then close the software and went back to work. I have the software hanging since to me is actually not usable. Is unthinkable a daw that crashes with clients sitting in the studio. It remembers me the obscure days of windows 95 but in 2020 on OSX.

PG, please can you explain to me what kind of beta you did before releasing 10? Looking at the ton of reports and software status seems like we are doing beta for an expected release on Q4 2021.

Lots of beta testing has been done, and without any reported crash while operating WaveLab. But not with all plugins in the world, of course. I could guess the problem you experiment are with plugins.
Crash logs can allow to know where the crash happens.
BTW, sending crash reports to Apple is like sending them to the trash, unless the crash happens inside OSX code.