Physical Dongle - when it will end?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
drorh4

Physical Dongle - when it will end?

Post by drorh4 »

Im asking really seriously.

Im out of town, my Nuendo dongle is in the studio. I need to fix a sync problem for a client like "NOW". I cant deliver.
Basicly I dont want to take my dongle everytime everywhere cause this is too risky to carry it and too small not to forget it.
Because of steinberg policy I cant have a few of them. I dont want to make just a replica cause steinberg gives you only one oppertunity to use a replica.

its absurd. I have my software with me, I can access the project - I cant do anything.
OSX sierra 10.12.6 (MacBook pro mid12)
Win10 (desktop studio PC)
Nuendo 8.3.20 - Wavelab 9.5
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite
Waves/plugin Alliance/Soundtoys

Fredo
External Moderator

Re: Physical Dongle - when it will end?

Post by Fredo »

It is equally absurd to assume that everyone would use a replica-dongle for these kinds of situations only.

Fredo

drorh4

Post by drorh4 »

Can you at least, not even by mentioning a solution, understand my situation? the problem?
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite

swamptone

Post by swamptone »

When will it end?

It will end when people stop stealing; especially when they stop stealing intellectual property.
formerly known as prism

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

drorh4 wrote:Im asking really seriously.

Im out of town, my Nuendo dongle is in the studio. I need to fix a sync problem for a client like "NOW". I cant deliver.
Basicly I dont want to take my dongle everytime everywhere cause this is too risky to carry it and too small not to forget it.
Because of steinberg policy I cant have a few of them. I dont want to make just a replica cause steinberg gives you only one oppertunity to use a replica.

its absurd. I have my software with me, I can access the project - I cant do anything.
Hate to say it, but it's really your choice though. Certainly there's a lot of value on my dongle, but I treat it as a valuable asset and don't have a problem with it. I have hundreds of dollars on my iLok as well, and I travel with that pretty regularly. All I have to do is be careful, that's it. At times I've thrown my laptop into its bag and traveled with it and the projects, and that requires me to bring a drive as well. Adding a dongle doesn't really add much inconvenience.

All in all I like dongles. I have only two, they're small, they allow me to travel with the licenses I need, I never need to authorize in software when I switch computers... I find them very convenient. Out of everything that bugs me with software/hardware a dongle is far down the list........
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

And there really isn't much risk in traveling with the dongle as long as your licenses are registered. A simple $30 purchase of a new dongle gets you up and running. If expediency is important buy the dongle ahead of time and the Zero Downtime has you up and running almost immediately.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

That's true for the Steinberg product licenses, but how do other companies that use the Steinberg key deal with lost/stolen dongles?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi,
swamptone wrote:. . . especially when they stop stealing intellectual property.
I am not at all sure how to interpret this remark?!

Ta,

Paul
Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 8.5, Cubase 9, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Grand SE, Grand 3, Groove Agent 3, Arturia V_Collection, EZ2 Drummer, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Lexicon MX300, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hi,
swamptone wrote:. . . especially when they stop stealing intellectual property.
I am not at all sure how to interpret this remark?!

Ta,

Paul
He meant when people stop pirating/cracking software. The intellectual property refers to the code in the software, its not freeware or opensource, its owned by Steinberg. You get a license to use it, not own it.

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Will we ever stop discussing the dongle-"problem"? :?:
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

drorh4

Post by drorh4 »

why keep missing the point.

Read the first post to understand "the problem". I bought my Steinberg softs with money and do care about non piracy, but it has nothing to do with it.

As far as I know, I have only one chance to loose the dongle and to get install the license again on a new one.
Plus, and this is practical problem - there is no flexibility as I mentioned in my first post. I have my studio desktop and Mac laptop.

Im sure new Piracy solution can be found.
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

I don't really see that people are missing the point. Using the dongle is a compromise- inconvenience for me, security for the company. On the other hand there is a distinct advantage, as others are pointing out. No hassles with needing to connect to the Internet to install the daw on different computers.

I imagine the stated policy of a one-time-only ZDT license is to give SB a chance to prevent abuse. They would certainly evaluate a second request on its merits. Just like the eula paragraph allowing only 2 or 3 software installs at a time- I don't think they are going to check, or even care if I install the software on a variety of machines, but in a legal case against piracy their lawyers probably think it helps. (whether that's insane or not is another topic :D )

Finally, I think this is a solid way to prevent piracy of their products, since around 7 years ago, Cubase is not pirated.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi NWMW,
NorthWood MediaWorks wrote: He meant when people stop pirating/cracking software. The intellectual property refers to the code in the software, its not freeware or opensource, its owned by Steinberg. You get a license to use it, not own it.
Thanks a lot. I never heard that terminology before!

Ta,

Paul

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

drorh4 wrote:why keep missing the point.

Read the first post to understand "the problem".
I think we understand though, honestly.
drorh4 wrote:As far as I know, I have only one chance to loose the dongle and to get install the license again on a new one.
Plus, and this is practical problem - there is no flexibility as I mentioned in my first post. I have my studio desktop and Mac laptop.
How do you lack flexibility? I don't understand? Just take your dongle to whatever workstation you need to work on and plug it in.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Read the first post to understand "the problem". I bought my Steinberg softs with money and do care about non piracy, but it has nothing to do with it.

As far as I know, I have only one chance to loose the dongle and to get install the license again on a new one.

Im sure new Piracy solution can be found.
How much is your Mac laptop? Are you sure you won't loose it? Will Apple repair all your data for 30$? Do you have a smartphone? Are you sure you can manage to not loose it? Do you have house keys?.... Life is pain, it has no flexibility! Take it as it is. Humble yourself!
So you want to jump ship? Go ahead you can find any other DAW for free, but not Cubase. because of the dongle.

Sorry for being rude but I'm really fed up with all these discussions about dongle. We are adult people, we are not in sandbox, so let us stop arguing about obvious things.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

drorh4

Post by drorh4 »

Winter Rat wrote:
Sorry for being rude but I'm really fed up with all these discussions about dongle. We are adult people, we are not in sandbox, so let us stop arguing about obvious things.
OK. "winter rat".
- "the Obvious" is your obvious not mine or others - If its obvios, we can do it without your humble attitude.
- "fed up"? - again, you can stay off, you can keep your smart*** attitude to your friends who think you are smart.
- Adulteress is to keep up with things you dont like and move on - steping on others important issues and scream like a child "we are all adults here" doesnt make you one.

When writing the way you write, and you probably answer like that to others also (impolite, aggressive, offensive, never to the point, seeing yourself and not the other, pointing people out just for sake of argument cause you "dont like to argue")

take an advice from someone who is in the biz for 25 years and owns more softs than just my Nuendo(not cubase, but hey, you know it all) and need to actually work all the time -
Take the time and grow. your weird ego is pointless and childish like. keep up with things and understand that youre "smarty - im gonna point him out" attitude is pointless, irritating and ruin for others whom have things they want to solve or progress.

grow manners my friend.
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

drorh4 wrote:
take an advice from someone who is in the biz for 25 years and owns more softs than just my Nuendo(not cubase, but hey, you know it all) and need to actually work all the time -
Take the time and grow. your weird ego is pointless and childish like. keep up with things and understand that youre "smarty - im gonna point him out" attitude is pointless, irritating and ruin for others whom have things they want to solve or progress.

grow manners my friend.
:oops:

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings I didn't mean to. You're absolutely right - I have to grow, I don't have friends who think that I'm smart and I'm not in biz at all, in other words I'm a stupid childish lazy hobbyist and I'm occasionally in the same boat with those who "keep missing the point". But I've been hanging around this forum since 2011 (I'm not in biz so I have a lot of spare time) and have seen all the threads (there were dozens) about the dongle-"problem" they were all the same - take you OP and read it 100 times. Here is the answer: there is no other protection system in this world yet, which is as effective as SB dongle. It means that all other options will bring Steinberg software to torrent trackers. I'm not smart but I'm old enough to speak from the experience point of view. That's all.

I apologize for my impolite, aggressive, offensive answer. And sure, I will follow your advice. Thx.
Cubase 9.5

jxm

Post by jxm »

It ended for me by switching to Logic Pro X.
I wish I didn't have to do that since Cubase is a great DAW.

The freedom to run Logic on all of my OS X systems without fussing with the dongle is really liberating.
When I can install / run Cubase on all my systems (only one active at a time is fine) without a dongle - I will buy that version in a minute.
Cubase 8.5 Pro, UR44, Groove Agent 4, Cubase IC Pro, Cubasis, Artist 7, Cubase Elements 8, NI Komplete 8, Windows 10 Pro Intel 4700K @4.4GHz, IMac Late 2012, Roland QuadCapture, MacBook Pro 15" 2014, Logic Pro X

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

jxm, do you run those Logic systems concurrently?

jxm

Post by jxm »

MattiasNYC - I really can only handle one system at a time. I sync my projects to the cloud. And regardless of the system I am using, I can open Logic and open/use my projects. Pretty seamless. I also use NI Kontakt on all my systems, and they allow me to install it and use it everywhere. I have never tried to use it simultaneously on more than one system. If I needed to do that, then I would buy another license.

Prior to using Logic - I used Cubase 8.5 on my main recording system, then bought Cubase Elements 8 for one of my other systems and used 2 dongles. This soon became an impossible solution because of the differences in plugins.
Cubase 8.5 Pro, UR44, Groove Agent 4, Cubase IC Pro, Cubasis, Artist 7, Cubase Elements 8, NI Komplete 8, Windows 10 Pro Intel 4700K @4.4GHz, IMac Late 2012, Roland QuadCapture, MacBook Pro 15" 2014, Logic Pro X

jxm

Post by jxm »

One other interesting aspect of Logic licensing I would like to see for Cubase is the "Family Sharing" option where I can share my Logic license with Family members.

I really hope Steinberg can implement a dongleless approach in Cubase 9 !

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

jxm wrote:MattiasNYC - I really can only handle one system at a time.
Ok, but how much fuzz is it really to physically take out a usb dongle out of a hub and inserting it into a different one? I honestly don't understand how this is a big hassle, one so big as to choose a different application. If I move mine from my desktop to my laptop it takes me about 10 seconds, literally (and I'm using the word "literally" literally).

TEEF

Post by TEEF »

jxm wrote:One other interesting aspect of Logic licensing I would like to see for Cubase is the "Family Sharing" option where I can share my Logic license with Family members.
Are your band mates considered family members?

Family Plan.... That is a great idea. I always wanted the ability for my pets to create. And NOW I have IT!

TEEF

TEEF

Post by TEEF »

MattiasNYC wrote:
jxm wrote:MattiasNYC - I really can only handle one system at a time.
Ok, but how much fuzz is it really to physically take out a usb dongle out of a hub and inserting it into a different one? I honestly don't understand how this is a big hassle, one so big as to choose a different application. If I move mine from my desktop to my laptop it takes me about 10 seconds, literally (and I'm using the word "literally" literally).
I don't understand the hassle either. These threads pop up 3-4 times a year. It is really hard for me to take them seriously. I can, however, understand drorh4 the thread starter. I would be out of my mind too if I was away and needed to do a quick edit for print. Nuendo is also really expensive to be carting around on holiday.

The question is: drorh4, you are out of the studio without your dongle, but you brought your audio workstation with you? Are you working off the cloud?
TEEF

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

drorh4 wrote:Because of steinberg policy I cant have a few of them.
That is strange - I do have a few of them, and i have not found any Steinberg policy that does not allow me to.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”