Blend Wet into Dry (Send) vs Parallel Processing

Hello Trott17,

Thanks for your question! Sorry, I’m not equipped to show you what I do. But I will try to explain to you the best I can. I figured out that the document wasn’t really super handy. You had to read it right to left… I will propose another version at the end of this discussion without noise.

Sometimes, I want to use an effect (compression, flanger, chorus, equalizer, etc.) that doesn’t have a WET/DRY knob. Sometime I wish that I can process the signal only at 25%, 30% or even 45%. In Wavelab, at the clip level when you are in AUDIO MONTAGE, even if your effect doesn’t have a WET/DRY knob, you can get only part of the signal that is getting processed. All you have to do, is to look at the ROUTING column of your clip effect.

Suppose that in this example, you want to compress a signal at 45% but your compressor doesn’t have a WET/DRY knob. What you got to to, it’s to choose in the ROUTING menu the expression BLEND WET INTO DRY (SEND). With this engaged, you can now change the amount of compressed signal vs uncompressed. So you want around 45% WET and 55% DRY. But what you see in the ROUTING SECTION, there is no WET/DRY knob like you are used to… It’s just value presented in dB. How to get 45% WET by looking at dB…

So the image I made called “Tableau_Word” is a sort of “missing link” between dB and the well known WET/KRY knob. So if you want that your signal get processed like I said at 45%, you will look up at the file “Tableau_Word” and check the last column to know what value you have to enter in the ROUTING column of WAVELAB. As you can see, if you want around 45%, you have to fix -7 dB in the ROUTING section to be able to get around 45%. Like I said, this information is not precise, but can give you a general idea of what is happening under the hood with WAVELAB.

Here’s a simpler version of the document. Haha! It all goes to this new file. First we see the WET % you want to get to and in the other column, you get to know which dB you can get around the desired value.

Hope it helps!