Zoom H4n as an audio interface

Thanks for the suggestions. Feeling a bit stupid here, but I’m not seeing or able to do anything that you mention. I’m must be missing something.
First: under Privacy tab of Security and privacy, I don’t see any microphone. My choices are Location Services, Contacts, Calandars, Reminders, Photos, Accessibility, Analytics. None of which have paths to anything resembling audio, hardware, etc. I suspect this is an OSX version difference? I’m running 10.13.6 high siera (the most recent version for my hardware). Within control panel sound I can see and select the H4 as an input, also as an output, but it seems to not effect Cubase at all.

Within Audio Connections, I can use shift to select multiple channels (left/right), but that doesn’t get me any closer to selecting anything in ‘audio device’ column, where I always have a choice of two now (things are more predictable after blowing out prefs files and a few other updates); “not connected”, and either “H4” or “built in audio”. I’m able to get H4 to show through studio setup>VST audio. Neither H4 or Built in ASIO driver selection will allow me to have H4n as input, and anything but H4 as output. And with H4 selected as Input, output is silent on all physical devices regardless of any settings I can find.

So far, the best setup has been an analog 1/8" jack connecting the headphone port on the H4n to mic input on Mac and using all built in audio; which means watching for clipping and levels in multiple places among other things.