What's your Computer's Shelf Life?

(sorry for all the text…)

The computer I’m on now was built January two years ago. First gen AMD Ryzen but about 10 months after it was released. I would expect this computer to last at least another 5 years with some upgrades if necessary. As far as computational power goes in my case any future CPU would have to be able to run on my current mobo which is also “first” gen Ryzen so I’m not sure if there’s a BIOS for the current or next gen CPU for it. This means I may have to stick with it, which is fine. I’m still playing around in Resolve so if I get any type of work in it I may have to get a new machine, but likely not soon. I would really expect the next computer I build to be essentially a monster, because even the modest machine I have now feels like it does the job pretty darn well… at least for now.

The previous computer lasted about 10 years. Quad core AMD. I will say however that I waited because I didn’t have enough work at home to justify a new build and if I had then I probably would have replaced it 2-3 years earlier.

The difference between the two was significant. I needed more power for iZotope RX mainly. Playing back tracks was fine, but not being able to run the latest RX in realtime started getting annoying. But once I made the change everything else made a difference as well. I recently got a 1TB m.2 for a new ‘work drive’ and it just feels much snappier.

I definitely feel like a computer built within the past couple of years should last at least through the middle of this decade even with some more demanding software. Of course, this assumes we’ve chosen what’s appropriate for what we do. Anyone who needs far more power than I do could get any number of current CPUs that are great. And by the last few years I probably exclude your 5820K actually.

The one before the previous one I gave away. Just put an ad up on craigslist and some dude came and took it. I’ll probably do the same for the previous one. Obviously I keep and destroy drives.

Upgrading peripherals is something I don’t do unless I need it. My PSU stays until it needs replacement for example. Same with drives unless I need to adjust for some reason.