Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

+1

I agree with the OP here, it’s the inconsistency and half-finished vibe that bothers me. That, more than anything else is what makes cubase look so busy and cluttered.

Please, just choose something and stick with it (and please choose the nice modern font, not the ancient track font!).

2 Likes

I don’t see what the problem is?

Having differentials sometimes makes things seem less cluttered as it allows your eyes to… well… differentiate and not be distracted or pulled.

No offense, and you’re not the only one that has posted a picture with drawings, but I keep expecting some sort of profound criticism I would agree with… I have lots of criticisms… But I’m not seeing the issue here, like it’s some strange OCD I don’t have and am glad lol. I’ve been using since SX3… almost everyday since SX3… the difference between the inspector record/monitor button and the track record/monitor - has never in the slightest came into my conscious thought.

Steinberg is listening to us! 10.5.20 is a signal that things are heading towards the right direction! :slight_smile:

i’m pretty certain we will see this addressed in C11.

Because it’s GPU accelerated. Cubase isn’t at all.

+1

This is an unexpected thread. For me cubase pro is gorgeous to look at. Highly asthetic.

There are lots of great and unique things about Cubase; its quality of visual design is not one of them yet. At least, not for me and many others.

As we get closer to C11 release, I’m optimistic that Steinberg has been busy during quarantine/lockdown! :slight_smile:

Also, the people have spoken:

Please.

• Waveform anti-aliasing.
  • Professional metering and visuals (faster fallback speed/more than 40db/s, Pro Tools speed, non gradient).
  • Moving tracks in mixer.
  • Warping on arrangement window/tracks.
  • Better fonts/colors.
  • Ability to turn on and off grid lines in arrangement window.
  • Multi-track free warp
  • Nudging of events and midi notes by specific musical or time values by key command and nudge tools (without the use of logical editor and independent of quantize grid).
  • Proper EUCON support (reflect hidden tracks on surfaces, Avid Dock automation buttons reflect Cubase state, etc.)
  • Gapless audio engine
  • Folder group tracks (folder tracks fold/reflect in mixer)
  • Range selection edit on event gain/envelopes (PT style clip gain)
  • Stereo plugins on mono tracks.
  • Pro Tools Beat Detective type solution (Cubase can already do hitpoints and then slice events. Then one can quantize those slices or events. However doing a crossfade or close gaps without time stretch is unreliable. We need a Beat Detective-type conform functionality–the tools already exist in Cubase.
  • Range selection edit on tempo track.
  • Ripple Editing
  • Ability to show only event name or event description—not both. Or events follow track names exactly always. Also event names to be tabbed thinly so they don’t overlap waveforms (see Logic or Cubase 5?)
  • Tabbed VST views
  • Slicing in sampler track
  • Smooth playhead cursor and smooth scrolling on MacOS (see Logic Pro X, also a preference for blinking playhead locator like Pro Tools that works with the range tool/playhead only appears on playback and record)
  • Full screen windows on MacOs
  • .Bak Files Separate Folder
  • Autosave Enhancement (See UA Luna)
  • Rename Plugins
  • Rework of Macro system (scripting language, perhaps record macro moves/process live then save as preset?)
  • Inspector icons/workflow enhancement.
  • Disable Mouse Fader Movement In MixConsole
  • Elastic band in midi editor like Ableton
  • Improved markers display/visuals
  • Drum editor and key editor enhancement (patterns).
  • Triplets and swing grid in warping
  • Better way to import and store swing/groove Q presets.
  • LFOs/VST modular routing.
  • Ableton Link support
  • Ableton style Session window/clips player/ideas mode
  • Paid 500 series type options for channel strip. Perhaps an even deeper Console 1 integration with strips.
  • Maybe a hardware controller for Groove Agent (see PreSonus or NI)
  • A way to edit transient settings on elastique algorithms. Etc.
1 Like

Doubt.

1 Like

/agreed

Cubase 10 introduced a new fresh looking beautiful interface.
It needs some small improvements in terms of readability and coherence, but all in all it would be a big mistake to completely change how things are looking in general. Easiest Pro DAW to look at. Protools looks horrible and old, so does Reaper to a certain extent (even with new templates). S1 is a bit better, but still not that clear as Cubase.

1 Like

I’m still on 10 and can’t wait to get on to 10.5 (or 11 if I don’t get to 10.5). Can’t wait to have flat colour events instead of gradient, the gradient events make it really hard to discern shades of colours from one another.

+1

Any day now! :sunglasses:

Two years on, I still can’t get used to having to minimize and expand all the separate windows (on PC) …and that cross-hair cursor and white track selection still suck…Maybe a “classic window behavior” option?

Have you delved into creating custom workspaces?

(Custom Workspaces) Never tried it…I’ll look into that…thanks

cross-hair cursor

turn it off?

Yeah, you’ll probably be like me and wonder why it took so long to realize how useful and workflow enhancing workspaces are. I have mine hotkeyed with a modifier to my keypad 1-9 and you can have a hoykey to manually enter the workspace if you need more than 9… So for instance, I have my main most important workspaces 1-9… and then say, Workspace 20 will be a workspace catered to Groove Agent VSTi - I can enter that manually in the ‘Workspace X’ key command function.

Check preferences.