Can import from CD Drive, but not burn

Yes.
Its not trivial, either. People who don’t use Windows a lot probably don’t know about the pitfalls of installing applications as a general user.

Yes.
(Aside:I would bet lots of money that being logged in as Administrator in 10 isn’t really Administrator. They still withhold permissions, especially with respect to writing to root. But that is a different topic. And one that has been discussed extensively on the Microsoft forums by confused/angry users).

Was a beta tester for for WIndows for Workgroups and Office version(s) 1, 2, and 3.

I ran the latest GEAR update and it still produces the 30000 error mentioned earlier. I have no GEAR processes running that I can see.

WL6 sees and imports from CD with no problem. The only way I see that I can burn a CD at the moment is to create a CUE sheet and use WL6 - this is not a good situation to be in.

Jim

Have you tried removing the “UpperFilters” and “LowerFilters” entries from the registry? It’s Method 5 on this page, and has solved such problems for me in the distant past.

Paul

That thread assumes the CD drive is not recognized.

The CD drive is recognized and can read and write by every Windows Application except Wavelab 9pro.

The following have no issue using the drive and burning a CD:

Sequoia 12
Sonoris DDP Player / OEM
iTunes (flipping iTunes on Windows - and it works).
JRiver Media Player
Windows Explorer
etc…

I finally got this going again, but what it took is way out of line with what should be expected of anyone.

I had to do a manual uninstall of Gear in an Administrator account in Safe Mode, and then set the compatibility of the Gear installer to Vista Service Pack 2 (my previous compatibility that worked once and only once before my last Win updates was Windows 7 compatibility). Not sure if it was the Vista compatibility or Safe mode uninstall that made the difference this time, but Gear should really take a look at what’s going on with this, how the uninstalls, reinstalls, and repairs don’t seem to make any difference when GearASPIWDM won’t start. If the only solution is manual uninstalls in the registry, can’t they at least make reg files to do at least some of that? I got it to work once with a Win 7 compatibility install without going into the registry, but I have no idea why that worked, and it only worked once.

No matter what the state of a user’s system, it shouldn’t be this hard.

Using Windows 10 Redstone 1 with latest updates.

The other problem is that the Gear issue can be made to happen pretty easily.

On the computer I’ve been testing, I have 4 versions of Wavelab 9: Pro 32 and 64, and Elements 32 and 64. I uninstalled both Elements versions, reboot, and then GearASPIWDM won’t start. And from what I can tell the only way to get Gear back is to do the registry manual uninstall. Not impossible, but an aggravating, time consuming process.

Trying to get it back with any of the functions in the Gear installer (uninstall, repair, reinstall) doesn’t work as far as I can tell, at least not on Win 10 Redstone 1.

I made no such assumption; even if the solution I suggested seems generic, I have certainly seen it affect programs selectively.

Paul

PG, if this can be reproduced, it seems like it shouldn’t be happening, because it means uninstalling one Wavelab version breaks another? And the Gear fix is not easy.

I would consider it a bug in Gear and Wavelab, if I came across it.

Sorry, you can disregard that last one. Have to have the drive plugged in and turned on. Duh, I guess. The verify will sometimes indicate ok without a drive, like after a successful repair, but other times not. And will other times indicate bad if a drive is not in, when it would otherwise indicate successful. Should probably have the drive plugged in and turned on when doing any of this I think. (The CD Drive apparently should be plugged in and turned on when doing installs, repairs, or uninstalls). ymmv. Strangely I haven’t seen anything about that on the Gear site, because results can be quite different. Maybe they just assume you have an internal drive plugged in and turned on all the time. And you might need to at least try to open Wavelab to get the Gear service started if it’s stopped.

Sorry for the endless posts.

Bottom line, if after all that, the installer is still not fixing the problems, the registry manual uninstalls on this page should do it:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=DRIVERS:_Windows_-_Updating,_removing,_64_bit_versions,_etc#Removing_GEAR_Drivers

and then reinstall with the installer.

Doing bob99’s manual uninstall (per the Gear directions, with the two reboots),
Then Installing the drivers AS ADMINISTRATOR
and rebooting
Seemed to solve the problem.

As GEAR is WaveLab’s driver of choice for optical drives can anyone from Steinberg state whether they are putting pressure on the company to sort this out so that users don’t have to jump through hoops to try and get this working again?

Jim

Gear could not reproduce any problem whatsoever on Windows 10 x64.

Hi PG. Yes it turns out the manual uninstall finally did fix the issue for me, RPITA, and will probably be the only solution for JIm, but the standard uninstall and reinstall simply did not work in our cases. Something has changed in Win 10 where the Gear uninstaller doesn’t work properly in at least some cases, and the manual uninstall is required, the only solution. It would be nice if Gear looked at their uninstaller again with some real-world Gear new installs on Win 10, looking at both Win 10 clean installs and 7,8 to 10 upgrades.

I finally took the plunge and did the manual removal as shown on the GEAR website. Ran the installer as administrator and all is now working as it should be.

PG: I ask again is Steinberg putting any pressure on GEAR to sort this issue out as several of us here had the same problem? As we are running different systems it is not an isolated problem. Not many users would be prepared to edit the registry for fear of breaking their PC.

Jim

GEAR hasn’t updated their software in years. I wonder why Steinberg would go with a company, who for all intents and purposes, is not doing anything to upgrade or fix their software. Most of the info on the site talks about VISTA and not even Windows 7 or 10. Strange. I still cannot get my burners to appear in Wavelab 9 64bit although it works fine in WL 9 32 bit. I did all the steps but it still doesn’t work.

Consistently working CD burning has been a problem for at least 5+ years.

Thomas

My DVD drive is visible in both 32 and 64 bit WL9 Pro.

Jim

Jim, there’s an easier method that would have worked in your case, and should also work in Thomas case, but I’ll have to pull it up when I have time to find it. As I recall, It involves deleting one registry key, and then modifying one registry key I think. Gear said they would document it, or come up with a fixit script or something on their website, but I don’t see anything there yet (although I haven’t looked very hard).

I agree they should update their installer and uninstaller to take care of these cases, but they’re not going to do that I dont think.

Has the fix action been sent out so we can burn what we edit???

I’m using an iMac and WL Pro 9.5 won’t allow cd burning. I hope Steinberg fix this. I may have to go back to Audition,

What CD drive do you use? Did you give OSX the permissions to access the drive?