[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

I can’t say that an upgrade to Catalina would be a requirement but I think that would be unlikely. But for sure I agree 11 won’t be any faster or run better. At least not for any Mac users and there will be new bugs introduced. Totally agree with you :frowning:

But I would love for them to prove either one of those statements to be wrong for once. :smiley:

The GUI will look enhanced with new features but thats about it. Seems to be the pattern.

OSX version   		nr-supported
cubase 8		10.9	- 10.11			3	
cubase 8.5		10.10	- 10.12 		3
cbase 9			10.11	- 10.12  		2
cubase 9.5 		10.12 	- 10.14  		3
cubase 10		10.12	- 10.15  		3
cubase 10.5		10.14	- 10.15  		2
cubase 11		?	- 10.16	 		?

So depending if Steinberg use 2 or 3 OSX versions it will be 10.14 or 10.15.

Friends,

I decided to downgrade to macOS Sierra and, apparently, the crash problems in this version have been reduced. However, now and then, in closing the project, more precisely, I am “rewarded” (check the attachment) :cry: :

That screen looks so familiar to me until I forgot it was a screenshot and tried to click the ignore button. :laughing:

You could probably try opening Cubase in safe mode. If you want to give that a shot, I’d suggest to open your Project and soon as the Cubase splash screen displays hold down Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-Alt which will give you a screen with options you can try. But remember to “Open Your Project” using that option. Don’t directly open Cubase using the option. There’s more info on it in this link:

I’ve had a little more success selecting the option to disable all third party plugins than with the other options but you can see which option may work best for you. I select that option and just remove all third party plugins from the Project, save and try re-opening normally. It will “usually” work though I’ve never understood why other DAW’s I have will open without any issue with the same plugins. :unamused:

For me, its not the most ideal way to stop the crash and get your project open but sometimes its the only way.

I can’t work with the DAW at all really because of the crashes taking away from my Production time. I’ve literally lost hours and sometimes days of work when having to deal with the instability. I’ve even had sessions that I’ve spent hours working on without any problems, save them and come back to them on another day and can’t get them to open because Cubase will crash every time.

Totally frustrating but Hope safe mode helps you out.

I really like Cubase, especially the sound quality in playback. Program function.I’m comfortable working in it. I’m used to it. But the new 10.5.12 update has performance issues on Mac os. I had to install Logic Pro, which is without a doubt very stable software on the mac OS platform.In other words, I urge Steinberg developers to monitor our error messages and take urgent action for Mac os owners who use the software professionally. I would really like to go back to Cubase. but at the moment I will have to use Logic Pro.

Feeling the same way.
Using Studio One 4 here now and it has been rock solid and so much more productive for me.
Has so many familiarities with Cubase that there was virtually no learning curve at all.

Anyone having any luck with the plugins working/ non spike and pinned out meter?

I just upgraded to 10.5 this week and probably should have checked this thread first lol. I opened a project that was done in 10 and everything was fine until I started addding plug-ins. First I added an Arturia (Melotron V7) synth. The GUI doesn’t open normally, it’s zoomed all the way in to one corner but still plays. The only fix i found is clicking around in the corner until the GUI resizes. This happens with every Arturia soft synth.
Then I started adding UAD plugs (current version) and suddenly the system locks up. Audio continues playing in the background but can’t control anything, have to force quit. Relaunch, this time I try adding Fabfilter ProQ3 and boom, spinning beach ball… have to force quit.
After relaunching, I try opening any plugin and immediately get Audio Process overload maxing out the VST meter and the audio main out meters jump up and down but no audio is playing and nothing is triggered by midi, no playback control, nada… brick city, but I can still use the menu options so I quit. At this joint I’m trying to add any plugin, synth, FX, etc…nothing works. It launches, press play and the whole system stops responding and the meters flash every second or so. Even if I remove the plugin that was added, nothing is resolved, Cubase must be force quit and relaunched. What’s interesting is that I can reopen the session, hit play and it works, it’s only adding any plugin that causes this chaos now… and I am unable to add any plugins, instrument or FX… doesn’t matter manufacturer or type.
I tried opening this same session back in Cubase 10 where it was made had no issues, but it’s now doing the exact same thing as in 10.5.
Anyone have any luck with a stable 10.5? or not having 10.5 infect 10?
I use UAD, Slate, Fabfilter, Izotope, Arturia, NI… etc, none of them are able to be added without something going nuts.
Should I just uninstall and reinstall back to 10? Seems like my system has been corrupted since updating to 10.5 since I am now having issues in 10 (where the session was created)…

Help! I’m pretty frustrated by this situation. Like others previously stated… I started having issues with the last 10 update, so I decided to upgrade to 10.5 in hopes they resolved some of the bugs.

Hi,

I have replied at one of many your threads.

Um, I’ve just gotten Presonus’ “Studio One 4”. It’s great, but all the rumours I heard about how it wouldn’t be a learning curve for me coming from Nuendo/Cubase are false. I opened it up expecting to be “ready set go”. Nope. I opened it up thinking I could open a Nuendo or Cubase song. Nope. I opened it up thinking I could set it up to look just like the way I set up Nuendo/Cubase. Nope. What I really wanted was to see if it could work using the Dark mode on Mac OS Catalina, which doesn’t work on Cubase 10.5 or Nuendo 10.3. Never got that far. When I taught record production and demo production at UCLA, I told my students to not keep any software that they couldn’t get to at least play a virtual or midi instrument in 15 minutes. I worked on Studio One 4 for almost two hours and never got anything to play. A piano finally played but it wouldn’t read my sustain pedal. Unlike Cubase/Nuendo, you can’t just select “all midi in”, you have to specify what keyboard you’re using. Screw that, I use a lot of different keyboards; I don’t want to have to manually enter each one when I change. I want to simply plug it in and start. All of this means that there actually is a steep learning curve to Studio One 4, or I’m stupid. Take your choice, either answer is probably correct.

To be totally honest, when I said there wasn’t a steep learning curve I didn’t expect that to be taken as open Studio One and take off running as it sounds the expectation as you’ve described it.

There IS a learning curve, but it definitely isn’t a steep one. Once your familiarize with the UI and where things are (basic things) then you’d see everything else works off the same principles as Cubase but better IMHO. I “was” a Cubase user since Cubase 3.5 so I am intimately familiar with Cubase moreso than Studio One. So given, I obviously had to learn where certain things were for the most basic operations so there is some initial upfront time to be get familiar with it. But I haven’t spoken to nor heard anyone ever say it was a huge leap to switch. Most I’ve heard from are all in agreement as to what I said.

Does that mean the statement is applicable to everyone? Obviously not :smiley: But I’ve found SO4 to be a rock solid DAW and couldn’t be more happy and definitely more productive now than I was and at the end of the day that’s what it’s about right? Productivity not troubleshooting.

The developers for Studio One are prior developers on the Cubase platform so if you were to take a little time to learn the interface first, I’m certain you’ll see many things are very familiar; only better in some aspects.

For instance, I own an iMac and between the graphics issues and degraded performance I was really struggling. Add the fact that I use VST’s extensively in my Productions; the time it took to freeze a track just to run partially more efficient was killing my production time.

Now I throw as many VST’s as my system can handle into a session, render them to audio in a simple keystroke and then right-click to disable them. Disabling them all takes a fraction of a second and is functionally equivalent to freezing tracks in Cubase and having to wait for that. And if you decide to use them again, unfreezing the tracks can take equally as long. Not anymore for me. I’ve got a need for speed and it just wasn’t working.

Anyway, enough of that. I’m not responding to bash Cubase. For some it’s the perfect DAW and that’s fine. It was for me as well but I’m just not on that band wagon anymore. I was a loyal patron since 1998 so I think I’ve put my time in and have supported Steinberg maybe not as long as some but most definitely longer than most. I really tried to stick in there but times a wasting.

Good Luck and sorry you took my comment in the wrong context. I didn’t mean it that way :wink:

No offense. I figured Logic out in one day because it made sense. And I was coming from Cakewalk. Nuendo was easy for me. I got it instantly. However Studio One 4 doesn’t make sense to me and it sure doesn’t feel familiar. I have lots of friends at Presonus that I’ve known for many years, and I want to like it for them. I just can’t figure it out. Remember, I figured out Logic in one day without any help. It’s been a few days of Studio One 4 and I can’t figure anything out. The last time that happened was with Sonar. Never could make that work, and it’s supposed to be easy.

I too get the spinning beach ball of doom running Cubase 10.5 in Mojave.

I don’t have to force quit anymore (I did for a while until the latest update) since the beach ball goes away after a little while but the problem is that Cubase becomes unresponsive during the beach balling and sometimes cubase just stops which means that if am recording it is extremely annoying for the vocalist/guitarist since a good take is often wasted.

I am really losing my patience with this.
Does anyone have a remedy? Steinberg?

And right there it becomes obvious that everyone’s experience is different.
A couple of years ago I decided to leave Logic and Pro Tools for Studio One.
Turned out to be the worst decision I have ever made.

I was enticed by the ease of drag and drop and simple workflow. I got to know Studio One really quick since I have been working with a long line of different software including several daws. Throughout the first couple of months I had some random bugs and weird behaviour but I put it down to inexperience with the software and so on. A year later I was at a complete standstill and hated Studio One with every inch of my being and I was ready to give up on music. The bugs and odd behaviour had snowballed and was ruining my creativity and draining my very will to live. Presonus support could never really help me with anything. Channels moved around in the console by themselves, frequent crashes were standard, I had sessions that were so sluggish that it would take 1 minute (yes) to move a couple of audio-regions and so on. Presonus got hold of one of my projects and actually replied that it seemed that there was a bug that had created 20.000 audio files in that very project (turned out to be in several projects). I asked how that was possible and Presonus replied - we don’t know. “We’ve seen it before but it doesn’t happen that often”. :open_mouth: At that point I just gave up on Studio One and went with Cubase instead - and everything started working again.

Cubase has worked well for me and allowed me to get songs recorded without any bigger problems which is all I look for. However, with Cubase 10.5 in Mojave I am experiencing problems with Cubase as well and even though it’s nowhere near the creative meltdown I had with Studio One it is yet annoying.

I have Cubase 10.5.20 installed on my macbook pro 2015 machine (OS X 10.14.6 Mojave). Even with 15 VST tracks not heavily loaded I get around 17=20% CPU load which is fine but the problem is that in 5 or 10 minutes I can see the CPU frequency starts slowly dropping down from 3.5 to 1.4. I replicated same project on Studio One 4.6.1 whichI have also. No dropping performance. I like Cubase, it works well with my Yamaha Tyros2 keyboard and I just paid for update from 9.5 to 10.5… I don’t want to regret my purchase but the fact is I’m extremely disappointed and feel kind of being robbed.

I noticed after 6 or 7 minutes the Cubase 10.5 slowing down the cpu performance running 6 tracks of VST instruments. No FX inserted. I ran the same test on Logic X, Studio One 4 and Reaper and only Cubase 10.5.20 suffers from this issue. I attached the picture so you can compare the performances in yellow box. This is a 8 or so bars simple loop that runs for 10 minutes.
What you guys think? Please share your ideas because I’m running out of them.

P.S. The test ran on Macbook Pro 2015 retina 15" 16G Ram i7 4-core CPU

Thanks,

Vlad

Hello all

The same problem with me after updating to the latest version 10.5.20.
MacBook Pro mid 2015 i7, 16gb RAM, SSD

Real time spike 100%, same project was ok in cubase 10.0.5.
Right now I can’t use it and work with it:(((

Also I find that if I minimize the cubase window the cpu and real time performance go down and get stable

Anyone have some update on this issue?

Recently upgraded from 9 to Cubase 10.5.20. My macbook pro temp is sky high with the fan constantly running loud making me unable to record. Pointless software

What’s the plan? Any update from Steinberg?

Same issues here from the first day Cubase 10.5 was released. And the same with all subsequent updates. And the same issues with Nuendo 10.3, which is similar to Cubase 10.5.

Solution: return to Cubase 10.0.60 or Nuendo 10.2.20. No more spikes or super high CPU usage. And I can use the “dark” mode on my MacBook Pro, which is not possible under C10.5 or N10.3 - lots of letters and messages are whited out.

And yes, none of these issues occur in Logic Pro X. I can’t speak for Studio One because I could never figure out how to use it.

So I posted a separate thread but was pointed to this one, but I don’t see any feedback which is useful.

I have had to install v10.0 on my Mac in order to get any projects to play correctly. 10.5 is a total waste of hard disk space right now. Is there an update due from Steinberg, or at least some acknowledgement that this is a problem that is being fixed?

I was an hour away from upgrading from 10 pro to 10.5 when I googled and found this thread. Thanks for saving me countless lost hours of productivity. My macbook is a late 2012 i7 on Mojave, I suppose I should hold off upgrading Cubase again till I get a new computer, right? Hopefully a couple of years later because this computer has been absolutely great for so long. I went from 7 to 10 pro last year because 7 just stopped working properly one day.