Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

I spoke to the UAD guys about Luna at Namm. They’re not just aiming for the home studio market. I asked the question on camera here: Universal Audio's Luna DAW - First Impressions/Review at Namm 2020 They have big goals and want to convert users from all DAWs over which means they’re likely going to add a lot of advanced features over time. Luna most likely won’t get more ugly just by them adding more features and it doesn’t make sense for them to design something that would prohibit them to fulfil their goal of expanding the function of the software.

Advanced features doesn’t prohibit skinning and design. There is always room for innovation and improvement. Most of the functions of Cubase are hidden in menus and in key commands. Everything you’re referring to is a separate window anyway. The actual DAW isn’t cluttered with a million different buttons that needs to be skinned. Very few items within a session are viewable at any one given time. The viewable items at most times aren’t that much different than Logic and Luna so of course you can compare the look of them.

The exact reason that Cubase is used in more professional environments is the exact reason why the look of it should be more customizable. My recording studio is very dark. Looking at a bright DAW causes a lot of eye strain. The last version of Cubase 10.5, they removed the ability to make the DAW black and removed all the options to make items darker shades of grey. Everything must be lighter grey than before. That makes no sense. So people like myself will have extra eye strain for no reason. Also, a lot of clients hire studios based on their look/appearance. It sounds dumb but despite the 30 songs on my studio website, about half of my clients on average admit to not listening to the songs and just booked the studio because it ‘looked cool’. So appearance = income. Being able to customize the look of the software and DAW to fit with the studio is pretty important considering the client is paying to stair at the screen all day and is hiring the studio based on look. You can design the space as much as you like but the software, you’re limited to whatever Steinberg let you customize which is not much.