N10.1: Is Transparent Mode Gone??

Dear all,

I’m very happy to let you know that we’ve just released the Nuendo 10.2.20 maintenance update that brings a new feature called “Event Opacity” that basically replaces the previous “Transparent Events” feature sand even improves it, as it lets you control the amount of transparency you want to have for the events.

This update is available in the Nuendo Download page as well as via the Steinberg Download Assistant.

All the best,

Is it just me or does the event opacity apply to Audio as well as MIDI data? This basically consolidates the more than questionable fact that Nuendo handles both data types equally, which is a problem especially in the editor. Set up colours that work for MIDI data > get unusable colours for Audio data and vice versa.

This update also screws with audio performance on ( at least my Mac > Mojave ), approx 20% CPU overhead compared to .10 version.

Just downloaded it, but my dongle is on another computer some distance away (%#!@ dongles), and I haven’t been able to test it.

I’m concerned that, being a preference, this new version will not be key-command controllable. Not to be a downer… anybody know about this yet?

Chewy

I would also like transparent mode to return in a future version.

by Chewy Papadopoulos » 26 Mar 2020 16:33
I’m concerned that, being a preference, this new version will not be key-command controllable. Not to be a downer… anybody know about this yet?

Please refer to the attached screenshot; your presumption was right unfortunately, and no, there is no key command to move that “Event Opacity”-slider… :frowning:

Over the past few updates I’ve turned a bit disappointed and sceptical about Steinbergs way of “updating” their software:
1 step forward, 2 steps backwards…
In their (very silly) battle to “play the opponent to Avid” they’re kind of forgetting that “be better” isn’t always better…
I’d love to see them back on the track of “be different” .
…sigh…wishful thinking?

Niek/ Amsterdam.

Hello you all.

No, transparent mode it is not back in Nuendo 10.2.20.
I upgraded from NU 4.3… and I miss the look of it so much :slightly_frowning_face:
I don’t enjoy this 2020 dark Daws look fashion. I prefer it clear. I can’t change that cos than, I can’t see the automation lines. They were blue, fantastic blue on a fantastic white window but now, they are white. You can’t see white on white…

Chewy,
the diagonal overlapped lines are not annoying. Why don’t you say what they really are? They are useless!
I second you every word so far.
I work with Nuendo since version 1.0.2.
This is what happens after 20 years Nuendo development?! Steinberg, you are amazing but don’t complicate what should be simple.
What’s going on with the transport bar? Was not good enough?! The good old one…

Hope it gets redesign again.
Steinberg, keep it simple! It is faster for us as and user friendly to spot overlapped in a obviously way. Of course you should reintroduce the good old ugly gray.

Aldersyde
Thank you. Your topic was very helpful. I was getting crazy and got some answers thru some valiuos posts I could find here.
My best regards to all

…and I don’t get it why you complain.
there are so many wonderful options to display events in Nuendo -
everything can be clearly presented if you want, there is something for each taste!
RIP N3/N8 - say hallo to N10. (…)

Please have a look at this bright Nuendo 10 GUIs… :bulb:

“Cubase 5 style” GUI:

“Cubase 5 style” GUI 2:

“warm style” GUI:

:sunglasses:

New Nuendo user here. How do I get these brighter colors?

tg

Hello Central Music,
Vielen Dank for your time and sugestions :wink:
Yes, I do prefer Nuendo when it looks like the first example you showed, with the white project window backgroung.
Are you still able to see the track automation Lines?
Automation lines are White… Where can we change that?

Best Regards

We complain because Transparent Events was an important part of our workflow, and they took it away, and what has “replaced” it does not include some of the most important features of the original. It’s that simple. All the “wonderful options” in the world do not address the problem identified in this thread. I, for one, would like to have a key-command option to toggle what they’ve done to replace Transparent Events. Judging by the number of users participating in this thread, it appears there are quite a few of us who miss Transparent Events and would like to see it return with full functionality.

I hope that clears things up. :wink:

Chewy

+1

Am I misunderstanding the word “workflow” somehow? To me it seems as if this is more a matter of being annoying because you’re used to something looking a certain way and now it looks differently. I don’t think that’s poor criticism, I think it’s fair, but I don’t understand how your actual workflow changes.

Aren’t you able to do exactly the same thing as before?

No; that is the problem. The feature as it was no longer exists, and the “replacement” doesn’t have features that were part of a workflow. It is not a simple matter of aesthetics. It is one of utility. I’m working with the new version, and the world has not stopped spinning, but I very much miss the old Transparent Events. Wouldn’t take much to bring it up to par… making it toggleable by key command would be huge.

Chewy

Ok, but what is it concretely that ceases to function as a result of this? I’m not talking about waveforms looking different, I’m asking what specific functionality is gone.

That was clearly established at the top of of this topic. The ability to make events transparent while maintaining other aspects of color coding, and the utility of toggling that feature with a simple key command.

Concretely, with the removal of the function, the function specifically ceased to work.

Chewy

Well obviously if you call transparent mode a “function” and it’s removed then that’s the function that ceased to function… I’m not an idiot. I understand that.

What I’m getting at is that Nuendo has a bunch of features, like for example being able to use the cursor to ‘grab’ and ‘move’ an event from one place to another. That’s a part of the functionality of the DAW. When I work I edit dialog first, and that means I need this functionality to edit dialog. Therefore that functionality is part of my workflow.

The GUI isn’t part of what I think of as “workflow”.

That’s what I was getting at. I was wondering what else changes as transparent mode is no longer available which in turn changes the workflow.

I was wondering also how can any editing be affected by the lack of transparency in waveforms.

Question: "With the “old” transparant mode, were you able to toggle “transparant mode” with a key command?

Fredo

Having followed this thread out of sheer curiousity, the answer is “Yes”.