Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Precisely! Some things Cubase did right before they went all gradient/video game. Cubase 5 had tabbed event clip names…Logic still does. Not sure why that was changed.

I wouldn’t want Cubase to go back to the old look, but progress should be better, not just “different.”

Tabbed Event names take up too much vertical space. I’d take the current annoying names over losing vertical space for sure.

One potential solution is that the names should be behind the waveform, as it’s not too often that waveforms are normalized to such an extent that they would completely block out event names, however, as it currently is, it is annoying the event names block out the waveform if there is a transient peak.

Tabbed event names +!

Damn, kostal! You’re so soulful guy! Love it, you just wrote what I think every preloaded session!

I tried to make my GUI a bit brighter like Ableton:

One of Cubase’s big graphic problems is the unnecessary thickness of the strokes of each box, every window, every button. The red button on the Control room is the most ridiculous example. It’s like a Fisher Price or Mattel game. My 3-year-old boy loves it. In addition, the typo is super fat. But when it comes time to draw the scrolling elevators, however, there we do it like needles! Another example: I’m in a complex mix, and I have to monitor a series of vumeters. The indicator figures (gradation) are pale grey on a dark grey background. We say: not so serious, let’s see the indicator at the bottom of the fader: worse!

Stienberg would need an artistic director for this interface. Looks like everyone’s touching it, depending on their department. Otherwise, please let us choose these aspects, with a very customizable GUI.

Not everything is bad, but the qualities are crushed by the defects.

Yes! Agreed.

Steinberg needs an Art Director and GUI design team with taste and a musical background.

Lol. I agree though. 9.5 looked better in my opinion IF you changed the colors to darker colors and blacks in the settings. After that it went downhill and they scrapped the ability to make things black in 10.5. You can only change the colors to dark grey and it’s not that dark. When you’re in a pitch black or dark studio, having the ability to adjust it how you want is important. I have no idea why they would reduce the available colors. I think users should have theme options and 3rd party theme file support.

By the way. I got to use UAD Luna at Namm. Now that is a pretty DAW! I shot a view of it below. It’s not going to replace Cubase, well at least not for a while, it doesn’t have a lot of features yet and has no external control surface support but the GUI, is very very nice. Looks even nicer in person. You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKSS6UbMXDA&t=692s Universal Audio's Luna DAW - First Impressions/Review at Namm 2020

Yes, Luna is really well designed, and in a year or two will hopefully be developed more fully. I need my Eucon though! If Luna gets Eucon support, I’m there.

Whoever made the decision to implement that gradient cr4p?..seriously.

Not only does it NOT accept your old templates…but after every update they seem to be doubling down on this gradient sh++ and it keeps breaking the templates every time you change or edit your colors.

imo there’s a lot that makes absolutely zero sense with the GUI

Guyz, honneslty, just look at Cubasis on ios devices - that excalty how Cubase GUI shoud work (Cubasis GUI Super Smooth & Fast)
Everything in Steinberg already done, just need to put all good things from different products into Cubase

lol

Luna’s looking great and is very snappy. It’s got ways to go though—but great for a 1.0 release, a solid foundation.

What does snappy mean? How is Luna, snappier than Cubase?

jftr, I watched a video of theirs, let’s call them Luna-tics… :stuck_out_tongue:
they were so joyful about being able to add a channel to a bus and output at the same time.
Don’t get me wrong, I love competition as it forces manufacturers to be better but this is in no way a DAW that I would jump at.

IMO, it seems like a glorified audicard interface and considering who makes it and how it implements their plugins, I’m thinking that’s exactly what it is…For now.

Well, it IS v1.0.

Also, we are talking about GUI and user interface comparisons here. Luna does look good.

Cubase can do this

It looks ok…and ftr, I’ve been critical of the Cubase GUI

Yep…that’s why I was unimpressed and why I feel like it’s just a go between for their plugs.

Yes, and I agree with your overall analysis of Lunas intent and certainly within that, certain GUI liberties.

A lot of people here talking about GUIs aren’t seeing the entire picture, in that, these programs aren’t designed with the same intent. Cubase and Nuendo are designed to be open production platforms in which the user templates the way they want things to work and what utilities are in the forefront. In regards to the term ‘production’ I’m not talking about people working in their basement, or 808 pop… I’m talking about mass productions, 1000 tracks, film scores, tv episodes, huge remastering and cleaning projects, video game assets, SoundFX and sample library creation, sound archival, etc, etc. They magnitude of these types of projects causes hair loss. Huge track counts, huge number of files, scenes, episodes, seasons, etc, etc, etc.

Using Luna as any kind of reference for how Cubase should look is sort of crazy. People understand Cubase isn’t just a DAW where you make music. It’s a file management program, career management program, record label software, sound library manager, VST host. All of these types of things, need to be considered in what the GUI is and how it changes.

It is also a program that is designed to invite experimentation, part of why it is sort of an open production platform. I think the GUI take into consideration the type of experimentation - long sound scapes that could be hours long for instance in which all sorts of automation experiments are happening scattered throughout - how does the GUI and interface need to accommodate that type of production? This is where Cubase shines, and why it doesn’t need to change too much.