Cubase 10 crashes then blacklists Izotope plugins but they still work

Discussions about VST Instruments and VST plug-ins from other manufacturers
Slowman

Cubase 10 crashes then blacklists Izotope plugins but they still work

Post by Slowman »

So today I was just working as normal, trying to edit and produce something before the end of the day. I had a few of my long-used Izotope and Waves plugins running. I tried adding a Waves DeEsser, then Cubase just quit. I went through a PC restart and did the same thing three times, trying to carry on working each time. On the next restart, Cubase 10 informed me it had blacklisted all my VST2 Izotope x64 plugins. I looked around online and saw some people saying to delete the blacklist XML file. I tried that, no joy. I updated all my Izoptope and Waves plugins. I installed a new Izotop plugin that I'd never had before as well. Launching Cubase it immediately blacklisted it. The thing is though, I've realised all my Izotope plugins still work even though they are blacklisted. If I try to rescan it makes no difference. If I try to reactivate it fails and I'm told to contact the vendor.

I checked in Wavelab Elements 9.6 x64 and it seems happy about these plugins, no problems.

So what's this about? Cubase is blacklisting perfectly legitimate and fine plugins that it has been happy about for months and months. Nothing changed bfefore this happened. And they still seem to work. I have clients in next week and now I feel unconfident about what's going on with the system. I see a lot of people having this kind of problem but nobody really understanding why. What does Steinberg have to say about this?

Cubase 10 10.0.20 Build 187 / Windows PRO x64
Attachments
izplugs.jpg
(182.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 10 x64, Win7 Pro x64, Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50/3.90 GHz, 16gb 1333 MHz Kingston RAM, SATA Samsung 512GB SSD primary drive, several TBs of SATA HDDs

mr.roos

Re: Cubase 10 crashes then blacklists Izotope plugins but they still work

Post by mr.roos »

I run Izotope and Waves plugs, too. I think the issue is that - when you install the plugins - you are asked what version VST/AXX/Etc you want to install and VST2 is listed. However, even though you select the ONLY VST3 version, Izotope installs the VST2 version as well.

So I think what is happening is that the VST2 is blacklisted and NOT USED, but instead, Cubase has found your VST3 versions and is using them.

If you check the Plugin Manager you should be able to confirm this. Load an instance in a project that is working, and then open your Plugin Manager and find what version is being used. I think you will see it is a VST3 version.

Note, if you want to clear some room on your C Drive and make Cubase load plugins faster, find the folder with the VST2 versions and delete them. I've done this and found it was a help with Cubase.
Cubase 10.5 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (2004 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads, StudioLogic Numa Compact 2X 88-Key, and Roland FP-30.

Slowman

Re: Cubase 10 crashes then blacklists Izotope plugins but they still work

Post by Slowman »

OK thanks I'll have a closer look at that
Cubase 10 x64, Win7 Pro x64, Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50/3.90 GHz, 16gb 1333 MHz Kingston RAM, SATA Samsung 512GB SSD primary drive, several TBs of SATA HDDs

Return to “VST Instruments and Virtual Effects (general)”