[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Thanks Fabio. I read the posts. There is something going on. hope we will get it fixed at the earliest. I did try “Suspend VST3 plug-in processing” but it did not make any difference. I am confused since few days back, C10.5.12 was running ok. I have started clean installation. I hope it is the not the Apple machine pulling the strings :wink:

Thanks Mate, I did fresh installation but no improvement. In my case, unchecking “Suspend VST3 plug-in processing” increases more CPU load :slight_smile: . BTW enjoyed watching your youtube channel. Quality stuff exist out there.

Hi guys, just to let you know…
I have the same issues her on my Win10 PC, especially when running 2 or more instances of BlackBox (PlugIn Alliance),
seems not only a problem for Mac users:(

Same here, I updated to 10.5.12 in hope to have the cpu overload issue fixed but it still occures.
It happens mostly with plugin alliance VSTs.
I run MacOS 0.14.6 (18G3020) Mojave on a Mac mini server 2.3GHz i7 and 16Gb of RAM.

Not sure where to put this but since using 10.5.12 there have been some strange occasional issues with plugins loading up disabled and will not turn on or show the bypass button. This happened to crave eq and fabfilter eq on just one song. Other eq’s Would work and crave and fabfilter would work fine on another different song. Also currently my sonarworks ref 4 and nugen sigmod are disabled in my control room panel. There is no way to remove them as no drop down menu is available. However I am able to instantiate the same 2 plugins further up the console! Very strange. I managed to once get rid of the sonarworks by trashing the control room plugins, upgraded to latest version and was working fine. But now in this position…Very strange.

Also I am finding on many songs if opening the last version for example version 005 Cubase will crash straight away, but if I open the first version 001, I can then open recent (005) and activate project and all is fine??

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks :slight_smile:

There was an update about a month ago from PA regarding their VST3 and small buffer problems.
What version are you using?

I have average load increasing when Waves DBX160 compressor is added to inserts slot. This happens with other plugins too but with this particular effect it´s most striking. Project in the pictures has only 1 mono track and nothing else. Don´t think its normal…?

FYI, I’ve finally done the update today from 10.0.40 to 10.5.12 on a Mac Mini 6 core i7@3.2ghz with 32 GB RAM. System is 10.14.5.
I’ve tested every plugin and VST owned and opened a few sessions. So far so good. Every plugin and VST is at latest version. I didn’t take the time to test the Memory leak but I am quite happy so far. Nothing different CPU-wise (spikes, more Load etc…).

Getting the same thing over here. sonnox Oxford Eq does this when “Suspend VST3 plugin processing” is activated. When I turn it off, the problem goes away. The issue is the “Suspend VST3” preference that need a fix.

I’ve been working on the same session for more than 5 hours today and so far no memory leak is apparent. Session is still at about the same RAM consumption after many hours. Crossing my fingers but 10.5.12 seems pretty good on my setup.

I reopened the same sassion and did another 3 hours later today on it, and same result. No memory Leak, every plugin runs smoothly.
Best of luck to everybody on this. Let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks.

Hi Krubbadoo, can you please tell us which third part plugins you use ?
And describe your machine too, hardware, OS ?
Thanks a lot !
Edmond

Hi, Mac Mini 2018 6 core i7 @3.2 32 GB Ram OSX 10.14.5. Cubase Pro 10.5.12 (upgraded directly from 10.0.40

For the plugins I have Hundreds of them, so I won’t name them all here for sure :slight_smile:
Have all the major ones by Soundtoys, Eventide, UAD, Spectrasonics, Addictive drums 2, Slate Drums, Toontrack SD3, Izotope, Denise, Waves, PA,Sonnox, Valhalla,Komplete Ultimate Collector 12, IK multimedia,Kilohearts,DMG Audio, Fabfilter, D16 and so on.
Everything is at the latest version.

I have just installed Cubase 10.5.12 and my Addictive drums 2 has been blacklisted. Although it was working fine on Cubase 10.0.5 as it is a 64 bit plugin.

Hello all,
I switched to Mac (I7 with 32GB RAM) last year and I can’t use anymore Cubase Pro 10.5 for my serious projects. CPU is always spike and quickly 100%. Per exemple, If I insert only Dynone VST on a track with a max buffer, I can’t work anymore !
Yesterday, I installed Logic Pro X for testing with a big project with the same plugins and now, I’m only 50% CPU used without any issue during a long day. it’s really sad to write that, but after more than 25 years of cubase I have to change now if I want to work without frustration. Cubase is not optimized for MAC, that’s the reality…I regret that…

Dear forum friends.

This is my first post.

I used Logic for many years until I migrated to Cubase last year. I’m having problems with version 10.5.12 on Mojave, especially with “unexpected closings”, while working and when closing the project. This makes our workflow very tense, something different from what happens with Logic.

From what I see, this is not just happening to me.

How can we report these errors to the developers? Just through the forum? Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

Welcome to the club :laughing:
You’re already in the right place and I don’t want to seem to be the one to put a bad light on things; but I’ve been having multiple issues with this version of Cubase on my Mac (in general) for quite a while now as have other Mac Users.

Never could get it to work as I’d expected on Mojave and upgraded to Catalina as a desperate effort. Some things were better but overall not enough for me to focus on productivity.

So I just decided to invest in another DAW so I can at least work instead of troubleshooting all the time. Been extremely impressed with Studio One 4 Pro so far.

Don’t know when the issues with 10.5.12 will be addressed but I can’t wait around for that.

Good Luck to you!

Thank you, I will need luck yes! :unamused:

I really liked Cubase, especially the sound quality in DAW playback compared to Logic X.

I had to install Logic again, which, without a doubt, is very stable software on the macOS platform.

I also considered an OS upgrade to the latest version of Catalina, but not all of my plug-ins are currently compatible with it (eg FxPansion BFD 3).

In other words, I strongly urge the Steinberg developers to follow our bug reports and take urgent action in relation to us who use the software professionally.

There is a solution for BFD 3 in Catalina :

That’s what keeps happening to me in Cubase 10.5 ANY update. In the earlier updates it happened much quicker. Now it takes longer but it always happens. It can be caused by, like you mentioned, simply inserting a plugin, or in my case simply adding a track did it.