AMD Ryzen 9 x3950x amazing build

Agreed, but I’ve seen a couple people on Gearslutz saying they got the Octo to work and maybe one person on Reddit too, so I think that seems to be correct.

No, you should use DOCP settings. I got some new information. Apparently some memory modules can’t run odd number CL latency (for example CL15, 17 and 19) and will not run optimized on Ryzen motherboards. Any odd number CL timing will need be adjust to the closest even number (eg. 15->16, 17->18). I bought CL17 and but the memory is running in CL18 because of this. CL18 memory is cheaper so I could have bought that if I knew this from the start (ASUS QVL is wrong!).

To be 100% you should get “AMD Optimized” memory modules.

Interesting, I set my motherboard BIOS to use PCIE3 instead of 4 from the start, but I did it for other reasons (to don’t let the graphics card hog the pci bus and get better results with DPC checkers). So that is why my UAD-2 has been working all along I guess…

Ah thanks. Don’t think I can do that on the board I’m thinking about…

Ah thanks. Good to know!

I think it’s possible to do on all x570 motherboards, but don’t take my word for it. What motherboard are you considering?

Oh right. Didn’t realise that . Couldn’t see it in the manual. ASrock x570 extreme 4…

Here’s a mobo that someone said worked out of the gate
Single post:
Asrock B450 Pro4 is UAD-2 proof

Thread:
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread

That’s the mobo I have and it doesn’t work out of the box. I’m still trying to find if you can set the PCIe slots back to 3 so it will work. I’ll post back when I know one way or the other.
Here’s a X570 mobo with PCIe3. This is my option if I can’t make my UAD2 Quad work with my ASrock X570 Extreme4:
https://www.newegg.com/asu-rog-crosshair-viii-hero/p/1JW-000C-00H64

Good luck. I’ll let you know how I get on with the octo. I wonder where that guy on the gearslutz forum got his asrock tech support? I’ve tried the european tech support and they were very non committal. I’ll see if I can message him and find out for us both.

this is what gigabyte answered me when i told my 2 uad2-solo card doesnt workon my x570 master mobo

“Which slot did you install the UAD card? It seems that you have connected several devices.
Please enabled the Above 4G Decoding to see if it works.
BIOS path: Settings → IO Ports → Above 4G Decoding → Enabled”

I havent had time to try this out yet but in some days i will go to my studio and see if it works

Been having a chat with Scan about my new build. They had this to say about pcie 3 and 4:

…the X570 was the first generation to get true fully validated PCIe 4.0 support. The X470 options are all bridged to some degree and are not true 4.0 implementations. I guess all it’s doing (bios changes in the x470) is disabling the bridge and falling back to the native 3.0

So I wonder if it isn’t possible in the x570 to go back to pcie 3?

I tried with my X570 ASROck Taichi yesterday with setting the BIOS PCI to gen 3 instead of 4 and I couldn’t get a UAD Solo to work :frowning:

someone needs to send ASRock a UAD solo/duo/quad to test.

M

Hi there gang,
has anyone here had issues with their Ryzentosh? Mine seems to be quitting often. Ive just installed it

a few things don’t work as expected with certain software. For example Cubase control room will instantly crash my Mojave install on my 3950x.

general stuff everything is fine. I cannot get TB working though.

Window 10 is working so well I’m not using the OSX side much at all.

M

Is that with a hackintosh and how are you sure the issue would be with the CPU and not just a hardware bug elsewhere? Any chance you could get a report over to Steinberg to work it out? Am very intrigued by this as having a mac system working with this build would be ideal though so dam expensive as apple HW.

Glad you too are enjoying it on Windows 10

I always find it a bit nerve-wracking building a DAW PC unless I can find reports of others using exactly the same components without issue, because if you have problems after buying everything and building it, it can be difficult to identify which part is causing the problem and by the time you’ve done that it might be difficult to persuade the retailer to allow you to return/exchange it.

Is anyone aware of any issues with using USB audio interfaces with the Asrock 570X Extreme or the ASUS Prime x570-P or is it only old PCI cards that are known to be problematic? I haven’t bought a USB AI yet but I probably will when I build my DAW as I think external interfaces make sense as they avoid the risk of picking up electrical noise from inside the PC, provided of course that using USB rather than an internal interface doesn’t have any downsides that outweigh the benefits, like higher latency.

Everything is working 100% with this for me, no issues at all with USB 2, 3 and 3.1. I am using an external 2TB for Song backups, which I have hooked up to a further backup via dropbox. All sync perfectly. Also using this drive for video etc and is good.
Once I chose an Asrock 570x Extreme MB everything has worked with no issues. The previous issues were with Asus support with Firewire. Asrock are 100% in support with audio according to Scan computers and they are right from my experience.

I want to build a machine with 3950x .My main purpose is for cinematic composing with large Kontakt Vsti…what’s ur option as u are already on 3950x?

It’s well worth it and cuts out my original idea to networking between machines because of the huge CPU power. I also do film and pop music without any issues now with the CPU and buffer latency…
Worth it for sure