New UR44C, new to this, nothing works

Hey guys, I bought a UR44C because I wanted to start playing guitar again and emulate Amps with a DAW, which I thought I could use Cubase AI for which is bundled with the UR44C.

So I installed the “UR44C” package, which includes the USB Driver and dspmixfx. The device is shown in the device-manager as operational. In the “Control”-app (Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver), I can adjust the sample rate, it shows a latency of 15-20ms and in the “ASIO”-window the Steinberg UR44C is shown unter “device”.

If I connect my guitar, the clean sound also gets to the speakers I connected to the UR44C.

In the Windows Audio-Menu, I can select the device “Line (2-Steinberg UR44C)” as Output- and as recording device. So far so good.

However - nothing else seems to work. If I start up Cubase AI 10.5 it allows me to select an ASIO driver. If I select the “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” (or whatever it is called there) device, it takes half a minuten and then an error message saying that the device is not connected is displayed.

In Guitar Rig 5, I can choose the “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” as well - however, under “Status” in the device window it says “Not present”.

Furthermore, if I chose the Line (2-Steinberg UR44C) as audio output under Windows, it will not playback any sound in Windows.

The only thing that shows me that at least something is happening ist dspmixfx - if I open it and then hit a string on the guitar, it shows a signal on the channel and on the equalizer on the right. Furthermore, after getting some error messages that the DSP has no more resources (no clue what I changed), the guitar effects work (Lead, Overdrive etc.).

Well, I am quite new to this (or rather did not do this for years), still, everything described always worked fine with my Pod HD300 (which you can also use as an audio interface).

So how do I get this to work under Cubase 10.5 AI and Guitar Rig 5 and why do I not have sound under Windows? Normally, you can configure an USB Audio Interface as a soundcard.

And, yes, I read the “What to do with Cubase”-sticky, but my Cubase does not even have a “device”-menu.

I do not know about the 44 becasue I have the UR816C, but I launched my Guitarrig for a moment and choose the Asio USB URC and everything works as it should be. ALso in Cubase under devices no problems. I never use any windows audio menu, don’t know why I should.
You always choose the driver and it’s adjustments in the particular audiosoftware you use, f.e. your DAW or in this case Guitarrig.
If Cubase & Guitarrig give a message that your device is not present I would install the whole driversoftware again. There must be something wrong or not installed at the correct place?
Are you using W10?

Yes, it is Windows 10. I also habe the newest Firmware installed.

I am afraid I cannot help you any further as I do not have the 44. Install everything new i would advice you, then start the interface always first and then open Guitarrig. You should be able to see the Asiodriver of the URC in its AudioSettings.
On my PC I have disabled the onboard Realtek audiocard, so Windows and other programs only detect the URC interface.

Guitarrig indeed shows the Asiodriver of the URC. However, if I select it as the Asdiodriver to use, under the field “device” it says “not present”.

How many devices should be shown in the device manager for the UR44C?

I use the UR44C on Windows 10 without any problems.

But I don’t have it set as the default playback device in Windows. This might be causing problems.

Did you check the properties in device manager? There is an option Allow applications to take exclusive control of the device. Try to uncheck this.

Thanks for the suggestion, I already tried it with my soundcard as primary audio device and the UR44C only as the recording device. However, still neither Cubase nor Guitarrig could detect it.

I am wondering why the DSPMX-software works. What does it do that makes it different from Cubase and Guitarrig. Is it just meant to control the UR44C internal DSP?

Misohoza, if you chose it as your playback device, can you playback e.g. the sound from a Youtube-video on the speakers connected to the UR44C or can anyone test that? Every audio interface should be able to do what a soundcard does because it is (among other things) basically a soundcard.

I also researched on problems regarding the UR44 (without “C”) and one user had a comparable issue with Windows 10 because he had the “CC Mode” switch on which had to be done on a UR44 to operate it with iOS. I looked into the manual and on the device and I cannot find such a switch. Is it gone on the UR44C?

Misohoza, if you chose it as your playback device, can you playback e.g. the sound from a Youtube-video on the speakers connected to the UR44C or can anyone test that? Every audio interface should be able to do what a soundcard does because it is (among other things) basically a soundcard.

Yes, I can.

How many devices should be shown in the device manager for the UR44C?

I have it listed twice under Audio inputs nad outputs and once under Sound, video and game controllers.

Do you use it bus powered or do you use the power adaptor? Is the power source switch set correctly?What about the usb port? Did you try changing the USB Mode (usb 3.1 / usb 2.0)?

When you open the Control Panel (Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver) and press “Ctrl + Shift + A” you should see more options and settings. You can give it a try.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and making the screenshots and for the good tip regarding the key combo in the control panel. Power Adapter, switch is correct, using a USB 3.1 port in USB 2.0 mode.

It works now! I removed all “old” drivers - I enabled the “show hidden devices” checkbox in the Windows device manager and removed all old stuff (everything grey, not only related to sound hardware), removed the ASIO4ALL drivers, removed the UR44C driver, restarted the PC, disabled all onboard stuff I do not use and the onboard sound, disconnected the UR44C, booted up, installed the UR44C package, reboot, connected UR44C.

Windows Sound Playback works and I can now activate the UR44C Asio driver in Guitar Rig and in Cubase.

What still does not work: if I switch to USB 3.1 mode, Guitar Rig does not find the interface any more, although it is connected to a USB 3.1 port.

At least, I can use it and will now have a lot of questions on how to operate it properly :wink:.

Thank you very much, again!

The problem you don’t have on usb 3.1 may be that you’re using the generic Driver that brings windows 10. Install the original usb 3.1 Driver on your motherboard that is likely from the Asmedia provider. If you work on usb 2.0 you will have lower performance. I also have the UR44C and I have it connected even with AC power.