Reordering the VSTi instruments in the Rack

+1000000

2 Likes

+1

2 Likes

+1

2 Likes

+1

Being able to change the output plugin without having to create a new rack instrument would also be appreciated.

3 Likes

+1

2 Likes

+1

This is one of those things that might seem minor … until you’re creating a big orchestral template and have no way to add one instrument while maintaining some semblance of sanity with the grouping.

2 Likes

exactly my point. You have a group of VSTis at the top that you poke around with and you realize you need more and you add it at the bottom of the slots. Then you need to scroll back and forth like an idiot just to make adjustments, and maybe not even a frew adjustment but loads of them. And you scroll up and you scroll down and you scroll up and you scroll down … I think you get the picture hehe! :laughing:

1 Like

+1000

1 Like

+1

Also, re-ordering of favorites in MediaBay

1 Like

The whole right zone is a bit odd, not just the rack/instrument part. This problem also is what makes that when you assign a MIDI track to an instrument track and you disable it, if you add a new instrument track, your MIDI is going to forget which instrument track was pointing to and you’re going to have to re-assign it everytime.

And they haven’t changed this behaviour in years (decades, a whole life?). I wish they change it soon, but I’m not very hopeful.

In fact, they have to redesign all the elements in the right zone, especially the rack related.

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

YES!

1 Like

Bump!
… kind of :wink:

I just opened a project from elsewhere that had lots of Tracks with lots of individual VSTis and the order of the source tracks weren’t exactly mirrored by the order of the VSTis
One VSTum, many VSTi ??? :ugeek: :mrgreen:
No, the order were completely random and … that meant that if I selected a track at the top of the track list it could have been anywhere in the rack list resulting in a big leap in the rack list.
A lot of the Tracks were musically connected like guitars grouped together, and keyboards grouped together and then I guess the VSTis were added as needad or the Track list was reorganized afterwards, or whatever.
It was a total mess and it didn’t take long before I started to shout at the screen when the Rack list started to jump around.

So whattabout if we have a function added to the reordering of the Rack that can move all the VSTis to sync up with the order of the MIDI Tracks in the Tracklist in one fell swoop? BOOM!
You set up your MIDI Tracks and Instrument Tracks as you want them and invoke the function and BOOM your first Track is at the top of the list and connected to the first VSTi in the Rack list.
And yeah, Track instruments and Rack instruments have to be in their respective list … or do they?
What about having them either as they are now separated or synced to the order of the Track List at the Inspector inspector side and you change it with a toggle switch?
Sometimes one makes sense, sometimes the other.

The Rack list as it is now feels kind of old and in dire need of an overhaul?

2 Likes

I agree! VST list needs a revamp… Also we need the ability to color code it…

3 Likes

x-actly

1 Like

+1
Yes please, please please pleeeeease!!! It´s sooooo annoying!!

1 Like

+1. Also, please, allow us to color the instruments in the rack, with an option to follow the color of the corresponding channels in the Project and Mixer windows.

2 Likes

+1

And here are 13+ more characters because it wouldn’t let me post unless the message was at least 15 characters which meant “+1” didn’t work

1 Like

A thousand percent ditto.

If you are working with orchestral projects you want the order of your rack instruments to match the order of your track folders that link to them. Many use more rack instruments and tracks than me, but I want everything in score order. I can do this with my track folders and tracks. I can do this with the subfolders of the VST Instruments folder in the main project panel. But I cannot do this in the VST instrument panel.

Doesn’t make sense to have to scan randomly through 13 VST rack instruments for the one I want.

The minimum needed is a simple drag and drop reorder capability to organize our work and streamline our workflow. If Steinberg does work on this, it would be even more helpful if they add folder capability to the Rack instrument panel, but that would just be icing on the cake.

3 Likes

+1

So, I can basically score a film, do incredibly complex things, but not drag and drop a VSTi? Still not over this. Also, it just messes up the organisation which is so important in big orchestral templates.

2 Likes