[SOLVED] Cubasis records “beep” on 1st beat using Patterning

I’ve noticed that when ever I record a drum pattern, using the Patterning app in Cubasis, there is a “beep” that is also recorded on the first beat. It sounds like the Cubasis countdown, but it happens even if the countdown is disabled. I’ve attach a screen shot where you can see the offending beep. If I record the same pattern in Garage Band, it doesn’t happen, so I’m pretty sure it’s a Cubasis issue. Thx - joe
771CDAFA-0DEB-49D8-BED9-51B1BA0CDD95.jpeg

Hi surfdude2000,

Dropped Ben Kamen from Olympia Noise a message.
Will let you know when there are news to the issue.

Best,
Lars

Thank Lars…

I already contacted BenKamen @ Olympic Noise. He seemed to think it was a Cubasis issue.

I did some further testing and once Patterning is set up, I can record any drum pattern or drum kit I want, but the result is always the same. The beep is somehow triggered when the playhead in Cubasis hits zero on the timeline. If you are in playback mode and hit the back arrow while it’s playing, it will beep when the playhead goes back to zero. I tried muting the monitor function while recording and it still happened.

I got around this issue before, by recording an extra measure or so and then erasing the one that had the beep in it.

Not happening here… iPad Air 3, iOS 13.3. No countoff mode enabled in Cubasis.

Edit… but it does seem to be a little crashy, using as interapp audio routing in Cubasis. It keeps disconnecting from the Cubasis track and a Patterning restart fixes it. Exporting patterns and song modes works fine though. Using Patterning 2.

Hi,

Did exchange with Ben about the issue, and shared the feedback with our engineers.

Best,
Lars

@ Lars and Musikeer…

I put together a screenshot video of that demonstrates what I’m dealing with here on my iPad.

The beep occurs on several occasions that I’ve found.
It happens when:

1. Using the remote “play” button in Patterning
  2. Using the play button in Cubasis
  3. Using the “back arrow” button in Cubasis
  4. Recording Patterning using Cubasis.

Hopefully the video will help us get to the bottom of this issue.

Thx - joe

I did some testing and discovered that the beep was being recorded if the “left in-point” of the loop was set to 1 of the first bar on the timeline.

When I moved it a few bars to the right to 3 and it didn’t record any beep. Not sure why, but the beep being recorded seems to be tied to first beat on the timeline.

Here’s a video of Test #2

Note: I also discovered that when I moved the starting in point to 3 and turned the monitor on, I can hear Patterning playing before the actual in-point. When the recording starts, Patterning is actually 2 bars off. Not noticeable if you start this recording from 1 or 3, but what if you started the recording from another point?

I recorded the same drum pattern from “in-point 1” and again from 1/8th note in and discovered that Patterning wasn’t being recorded from the start of the pattern, but from 1/8th note in. I can only guess that when inter-app sync is on, everything starts at the same time.

This screen shot shows the to tracks together.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Patterning and how do I access it? I was not aware of this potential application and cannot find an explanation in the help menu. This sounds like something that I would really like to use and I would appreciate this assistance. Thanks.

Patterning is a very powerful drum machine app for iPads made by Olympia Noise that will link and sync up to Cubasis2 or Garage Band. Here’s a demo of their latest release.

Thank you very much for the explanation and link. A very interesting app I was not aware of. I will explore it further.

Good News! Looks like the “beep” that was being recorded when using the Patterning 2 app is with Cubasis 2. I just loaded Cubasis 3 on my iPad, recorded a few Patterning drum tracks and the “beep” is gone. I wasn’t exactly wild about spending another $50, but in this case, it was really worth it. Cubasis 3 may have some glitches, here and there, but is by far a much superior program than C2.

Good News! Looks like the “beep” that was being recorded when using the Patterning 2 app is just with Cubasis 2. I just loaded Cubasis 3 on my iPad, recorded a few Patterning drum tracks and the “beep” is gone. I wasn’t exactly wild about spending another $50, but in this case, it was really worth it. Cubasis 3 may have some glitches, here and there, but is by far a much superior program than C2.

Thanks for the update, sufdude2000.
We’re glad to read also, that you seem to enjoy Cubasis 3 so far!

Best wishes,
Lars