Midi timing problem

Figured this out FINALLY! None of the above suggestions worked, but what DID work was:

Studio → Studio Setup → VST Audio System
Then set ASIO Guard Level to “Low”

Cleared the issue as well as an annoyingly high latency level despite a super small buffer size on my audio interface.

2 Likes

I’ve been having this issue for years. On Cubase 8 atm.

Does Steinberg really not care that their DAW can’t record midi notes correctly?

Every single other DAW I own can do this without any problems. It is seriously baffling that they’ve allowed this to continue for so long. I’ve tried every fix in this thread, and every fix in every other thread, and no matter what I do all midi notes get inserted EARLY. Sometimes it’s almost a full 16th note early!!

I’ve already purchased Live 10, and will likely stop using Cubase altogether over the next year if they really can’t be arsed to make this work properly.

3 Likes

I’m on Nuendo 10 so not sure this will apply, but I had the same issue with MIDI notes being shifted noticeably forward after recording.
The fix for me was found in studio/studio setup/MIDI Port Setup. I checked the box marked "Use System Timestamp for “Direct Music” Inputs and for me, this solved the problem.

Same issue. My fix was having only one device active in MIDI port setup. The one using DirectMusic. Make the others inactive. Also, place check mark on Use Device ‘DirectMusic’ and Use System Timestamp for ‘DirectMusic’. Hope it helps, good luck!

I also started having Midi Timing Issues when I updated from Cubase Pro 9.5 to Cubase 10 and still with Cubase 10.5. Windows 10, latest updates, MOTU MTP AV USB Interface with their latest driver. Midi simply chokes and notes do not sound and then they resumes. No matter if it is a Midi track with notes on it or simply playing with Monitoring On and Cubase stopped. Never had this happen in Cubase before. Very, very annoying.

In my experiences Developping VST efx ,
They dont use exact timing info about MIDI event within AudioBuffer.(=delta frame info)
All delta info is Zero , using Cubase as host !
(so maybe MIDI events like playing keyboard are push forward as Ha33y experienced)

But I checked StudioOne , delta frame info is propery stored !

then, I got great respect for presonus good job !

It is so strange , origin of VST didnt use their defined specification .
I heard that from Cubase SX , they didnt use delta frame info.

Is this a documented issue with 10.5? I am a new user and I am primarily wanting to use Cubase to record MIDI from external devices or my playing, and to sequence external MIDI devices.

Please use a proper audio interface - anything other than Realtek should work. Then select interface that in studio settings - vst audio system - Asio driver.

Been having the same problem: MIDI notes recording earlier than when performed. It’s a big problem and seems to just get crappier as time moves along. From I can gather, it’s a WINDOWS clock issue. The longer the PC stays on, the more the timing issue will get worse.

Steinbergs suggested the following fix:

"The first thing I want you to do is reset the program preferences back to a default setting to make sure that isn’t causing the issue here:

You can manually reset your application data by opening your File Explorer: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg then move the folders that say Cubase 9.5 or any earlier version of Cubase you see to the desktop.

*If you don’t see the AppData folder, you must select View > Options > Change folder and search options. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

Restart the computer and then launch Cubase again. Be advised the load time will take longer as it will be rescanning everything just as it did the first time you opened the program."

What’s interesting, is that this fix seems to work but it only lasts for a short time before the MIDI notes start slipping ahead of the actually performance. I can actually see the notes planting early as I play.

I wish someone (MS or Steinberg) would fix this issue.

I’ve been having this same problem with Cubase 11. Never had this problem with Cubase before. None of the solutions in this thread help me. As a working professional I feel pretty silly having to manually correct all of my performances in the midi editor. Total workflow killer.

1 Like

Well I am now also on Cubase 11 Pro and my original problem STILL EXISTS!! this is crazy…several versions on (from my original 9.5) with so much advancement and yet this is still an issue. I have to manually fix every note that I play. Honestly my playing is not that bad, I used to be a drummer years ago and my timing is pretty good, however when hearing it back in cubase, it is off. When I quantize, it shifts the notes even further away and i have to fix most of them by hand. Big time waster.

Have you tried Constrain Delay Compensation ?

PDC makes a tiny improvement, but the results are still way off. So, it’s not a work around at all.

mmmhh – I just don’t seem to have that problem – maybe there are some differences in our configurations?

There must be some latency related stuff going on.

Here are my Preferences settings that might be relevant? Or at least worth experimenting with?

Yes, I agree. It’s really troubling.
I’ve heard various explanations as to why it’s happening and work-a-rounds suggested that never really work.
The common explanation is that it’s a Windows issue. But this has been going on so long that you would think Steinberg would have figured out how to make the MIDI timing friendly with windows. Since the midi always plants early by the same amount, it seems logical that they would have compensated for this by now. Or, at the very least, put a switch in the program that allows you to easily compensate for the issue without nudging after every take.
Maddening.

This is exactly my experience with 10.5
it’s getting to the point where I am wondering if I should go back (cubase 5, honestly cubase 8 is as bad as 10.) or move on. It’s unacceptable that in this day, my only issue is with midi timing. Sadly…it’s the thing I require most from the application.

This is my problem too. It is so frustrating.
Real time midi keyboard playing is sluggish and chopped, lagging, midi playback is random and inaccurate, all over the place…early, late…
I have never been a fan of quantizing, mostly just selecting a few notes …maybe on the first beat etc. To lock together via quantizing. But now…in cubase 10.5 (going from 5), every note needs adjusting.
I am spending hours in a week moving notes around, something I never had to do before.

had this problem with some third party vst’s in CB 11.20 …ur solution helped! thanks

Hi,

Do you know this article, please?

I am having this issue since upgrading to 12 (all updates). Still working on it. MIDI recording earlier than performed.