Cubase Aesthetic/GUI

Just ask yourself: why does Wavelab have a coherent GUI? Why do pretty much all other software companies try and succeed to come up with coherent GUIs, regardless of whether those are tasteful or not?

And why on earth would they not be capable to accomplish the same for Cubase?

Either they are running a charity, refusing to fire those who are simply incompetent ( which I doubt ), or it’s likely being a scheme to push the boundaries for draining your dough.

If you watch that sponsored artist profile about Dominik Eulberg, you’ll notice that they’ll probably paid him to state therein that with regards to Steinberg, it’s all about passion instead of profit. I almost pi55ed myself laughing.

Who smelt it, dealt it.

No offense but I think you are developing a false narrative not really based on anything but your own personal frustrations.

First of fall, you can’t compare to newer DAWs that had the opportunity develop a GUI based off current SDK utilities, Operating Systems, Graphic card assets, etc, etc. Cubase has been around longer than Ableton, FL Studio, Studio One, etc.

Secondly, the GUI is not simply just graphics - there are user interaction parameters everywhere, and new features being added. If they are adding new features, they are potentially having to update the GUI, and if they are also wanting to overall update the GUI - well, they need to balance that between integrating new features into the new GUI and vice versa.

Thirdly, to some degree, all of these companies are being forced to change GUI based on current technology specifications in graphic driver support as well as screen resolutions and technology specifications.

Steinberg has been doing an amazing job of managing this logistically complicated feat. I don’t think you really have any understanding of what that is like and what they are faced with. It’s in many regards easier building a new program from the ground up, that it is to change one you already built without breaking everything and backwards compatibility. Hence why protools and new-now-old programs such as Ableton, FL Studio, etc haven’t changed since their incarnation.

If you take a look at a newer software like Bitwig, you can see that they were able to build and design graphic elements that are utilized today and capitalized on Ableton getting a bit stale in looks and features.

Not everything is so simple friend.

passion instead of profit

I agree, because passion correctly focused will lead you to profit regardless.

You are certainly entitled to your very own opinion. But please be so kind and comment on the main points raised, instead of just conveying assumptions rather than observations.

Edit: I think I will - just for fun - start to collect the annual release marketing campaigns of theirs. Just to remind myself, how absolutely ridiculous those are at times…latest example : to pretend, retrospective recording is an all-new feature. It’s simply mind bending…

1 Like

passion instead of profit

I agree, because passion correctly focused will lead you to profit regardless.

A pretty romantic thought mate.

Steinberg tried to make Cubase “apple-ish”? When? Lol. They can’t even get font kerning right yet. Please.

I did address the points. You’re making an accusation that their GUIs are some profit scheme - I pointed it out, it’s tangibly much more complicated than that and they are adding more features and content at a much greater rate across multiple DAWs (Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab, Groove Agent, Halion, Dorico, Spectralayers, etc).

It’s not a matter of opinion mate, you’re wrong. We’re not deliberating on what colour to paint the walls in the apartment we’re not moving into together.

In regards to romance, a bit of that doesn’t hurt either. The successful professionals I’ve met in this industry certainly aren’t lacking passion and it certainly wasn’t profit that got them through the hard times.

Perhaps this one significant update a year needs to be changed to multiple significant updates a year—like PreSonus or Apple does. And they do it for free. I wouldn’t even mind paying a bit if the updates are good.

Everything’s fine. just make music

Uh, thanks, buddy!

Dude, I am talking:

• incoherent colour schemes
  • burnt out fonts
  • pointless modifications no one’s ever complained about
  • less flexibility
  • oops we didn’t even notice this sucks

Gimme a break…

1 Like

+1

I have to say that overall I love the GUI of Cubase. Despite some minor things which were already mentioned. It looks good and is mostly intuitive.
After trying out Studio One, Reaper and Protools I’d never want it to be like they are in general aesthetically. Cluttered and ugly.

Was already mentioned that in the bottom zone mixer the inserts tab is not like the mixconsole views inserts voew? If you have colored tracks its hard to read the fonts. Most probably because the background there is not darkened as it is in the mixconsole.

Love it! Mind sharing how you did that?

Not at all. Thank you.

I’m using stock Cubase color palette. I have changed project background to gray shade. Turned off grid overlay lines. Made the grid lines lighter. The waveform brightness is towards darker end but not completely black—there is no specific value, you’ll have to play with it. Also make the waveform outline as low as possible.

Moreover, though you can’t see, I have also made my loop selection transparent—basically the same color as project window.

look awesome! Can you pls show how Automation lines looks with this color scheme ?

Thanks. Sure. Just working on something–so took a quick screenshot:

1 Like

Please just no PT or Ableton as a source of inspiration for GUI. Both are hideous and have style of Win 3.11. Not everyone is into Vaporwave aesthetics :wink: I hope Steinberg will not go that way.

I would welcome option for ‘skins’ so everyone could create or DL custom skins made by other users so everyone could use whatever they like without forcing everyone to one and only GUI version.

1 Like

It’s not about copying other DAWS. Taking inspiration is absolutely fine. There must be one thing Pro Tools does better than Cubase. Or Ableton does better than Cubase. You better get inspired.

That looks great :+1:

Care to share your settings?

I know this is the trend right now but I don’t like it.

Personally I like the look of Universal Audio’s Luna (even though it’s not out yet) Universal Audio's Luna DAW - First Impressions/Review at Namm 2020 and their existing console app. I would love it if Cubase looked like this. It reminds me of actual hardware mixing desks that I’m used to and surrounded by in my studio. When you have an actual mixer or control surface in front of you, having the screen look similar to the physical hardware that you have makes sense. I think that is why Pro Tools never went flat. When you use it with their hardware, it seems more similar but I hate that it’s so white and overall the design of Pro Tools is terrible since you’re usually in a dim room and the screen is too bright.

I like everything as dark as possible. Personally I’d like to see a collab between Universal Audio and Steinberg to take their integration hardware and DAW integration concept and even the look of their mixer into Cubase.

Personally I think the best looking Cubase was version 9 with my dark color scheme/dark mode theme that I made: Cubase 10 Dark Mode Theme , Free Instant Download!

I do like how Steinberg lets the users personalize the look of Cubase in terms of colors. Most DAW manufactures don’t let you do that. Although in version 10.5, the killed off the possibility to use dark blacks and dark shades of grey. I don’t know if it was intentional or by accident but it was super annoying. Part of the reason why I like to use Cubase is that I get distracted by different colors since I have synesthesia. I want to be able to grey everything out so that I’m just focusing on the music.

What I would like to see is THEME FILES and 3rd party themes! That would be so awesome. Right now, the only way to share color settings and themes is to share all of your cubase settings. That’s not ideal since you’re also replacing and importing all of some else’s settings.

I think they should have multiple looks and themes. Flat ones to keep flat lovers happy. Ones that look like old analogue consoles to keep those guys happy.

At the end of the day we’re all individuals and work on different music. Design is similar. People like different things. People should be able to have the look they want and be individuals more.

When you stare at something for endless hours each day, you want it to look a certain way as well as fit with the vibe of your studio and your own personality.

After all, it’s going to be apart of the marketing and branding of your studio. Example:

1 Like