Anyone using MR816 successfully with C10 on Windows?

Hi all,

Current setup is Win 7 machine, MR816CSX + MR816X, Cubase 7.5

I have a 3rd MR ready to go in too. Yes, I’m aware of the reported issues with direct monitoring + daisychaining units.

The current system all works fine, bar some occasional drop outs (which usually seem to occur toward the end of a long session when I’ve opened multiple projects). Certainly works good enough for my purposes.

i tried using C8.5 but had issues with the Hardware Rack disappearing in the Mixer, among other things, non MR related. However, I do actually have a C10 licence, but not yet installed past 8.5.

I’m thinking to try installing C10 (staying on Win 7 - because it works and I don’t use the machine for anything other than audio stuff), but would like to know if there are any common problems which might arise when using the MR interfaces with C10 on Windows (7)?

Thanks

If you switch to W10, make sure your firewire card will work. Many older ones don’t. Search this forum for my post from a few years ago about the hell I went through trying to find one that works. I did find one and I have 2 MRs daisychained working under W10/64.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, one of the reasons for considering staying on W7 is that the firewire currently works ok on this machine running W7, and as well as reading your post I’ve seen a fair few other accounts of people’s struggles with firewire (and MR) on W10.

This current studio computer is 5 years old and has a pretty good spec , and I love my MRs. My theory is that continuing to run W7 the system would/could/should happily bear the weight of C10, but switching up to both C10 and W10 might possibly create some issues. If + when the time comes to go beyond C10 I’ll look at upgrading the computer and addressing the potential firewire + interface issues.

No issue here with Win10 1809 x64 and the MR series, at least before I started using them them as slaves. The key thing is to use a TI Chipset card with a 1394B port (FW800). Some good cards out there for under £50.00. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom-pe-107-pci-e-2-port-firewire-800-(1394b)-and-1-port-firewire-400-(1394a)-card

Usually they’ll have 2 FW800 and 1x FW400 port. You’ll also need to get a FW 400 to 800 cable.

1 Like

Thanks for that. if I go up to Win10 I’ll look at upgrading the FW card also.

Fuzzydude, can you link us in the U.S. to a firewire card you believe will work?

I can use my MR816csx in Windows 10, BUT, I get occasional BSDs when the unit is on. So the driver need an update. I’d tell you the 1394 card but I’m away from that machine at this time.

Apologies for the late reply. Hope the below helps i your search.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Express-FireWire-Adapter/dp/B000WCT5HK

Fine with both the TI and ‘Legacy’ 1394 drivers. Just for the sake of clarity, ONLY USE the LEGACY drivers if not using the TI chipset.

Remember to get a good firewire 400 to 800 cable. Do not use 400 to 400.

Thanks everyone who contributed.
I’'ve now updated to C10.0.40 ( still on Win 7) and everything fine with all 3 MR units.
Performance actually seems better so far. MR/Cubase integration is fine too, no problems at all. Except for the GUI darkness, lol.

Hi, having upgraded to Cubase 10, Win 10 on a new but 2nd hand i7 PC, my old PCI card no longer works without causing terrible dropouts. The single 400 firewire connection that came with this PC works, but I get tiny glitches every 2-3 minutes, which affect recordings. So I clearly need a new card. I don’t want to get it wrong, my understanding is it has to be a more modern PCIe card with 800 connections, a 400 to 800 cable AND a TI Chipset. I notice the one you link to is native, not TI. So if buying by mail would you recommend I go for TI, just in case, or is that not really an issue?

Because I saw this card StarTech PEX1394B3LP but it’s native, not TI.

With Firewire in win 10, I found that it made no difference. Just be sure to use the Legacy 1394 driver as I remember it being recommended on Windows 10. You may have to hunt it down online somewhere. The Firewire card mentioned in my previous post and was used without any issues. Make sure connect the card to a power source. Everyones PC build is slightly different so YMMV. But in most cases I’d say you’re good to go. Hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

With Firewire in Win 10, I found that it made no difference. Just be sure to use the Legacy 1394 driver as I remember it being recommended on Windows 10. You may have to hunt it down online somewhere. The Firewire card mentioned in my previous post and was used without any issues. Make sure connect the card to a power source. Everyones PC build is slightly different so YMMV. But in most cases I’d say you’re good to go. Hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice! Yes, when I unsuccessfully tried installing my old Belkin FireWire card I tracked down the Legacy driver so I should have that already. No idea how to connect card to a power source and didn’t realise that was a necessary step, but I’ll look into that and figure it out.

Power supply to the card isn’t necessary but I did find it more stable when connected. It’s a standard power cable connector from the power supply.

New card arrived (pci-e TI chipset), installed and connected it to power source, legacy drivers, 400-800 cable etc - it’s a lot of very specific requirements, can’t say I’m impressed with Steinberg on this one, but it works perfectly now!

Great :blush:

I can’t get JamKazam to sync with my UR44C. Tried a million things and can’t even get it to the latency test stage. JamKazam has no Help pages at this point. Anybody successful with this?

Fine with both the TI and ‘Legacy’ 1394 drivers. Just for the sake of clarity, ONLY USE the LEGACY drivers if not using the TI chipset.

Remember to get a good firewire 400 to 800 cable. Do not use 400 to 400.

This was really handy, thanks!

I’ve been using Legacy drivers on Win10 for ages since upgrading from Win8.1. They used to work fine but in recent times cubase audio would drop out for no reason. If i switched back to the standard FW drivers it was unusable so i carried on. I decided i’d had enough recently and looked for more info. Apparently MS changed some FW driver stuff last year and now FW 400 wont work properly at all, even with the legacy drivers. After worrying about getting a new interface I realised that i already had one that should work so I have just bought a FW400 to FW800 cable and reset to the default drivers for my card and it seems to work fine again!

For reference, this is my FW interface:

I got mine about six years ago.