UR 22 mk2 crackle and distortion problem

Excellent. This seems to have fixed the problems I got when updating to Windows 10 1803. Even on default settings, a quick test was flawless.

Btw, is there some documentation of what the hidden parameters (Flag override, USB Frame… etc) do?

Cheers,
j,

That is great news! Thanks for sharing!
Yes, there is more info on the settings:

Flag Override (default Auto):
Customer choose one from three selections, Low Latency, Standard, and Stable.
Low Latency = The option shorten the general communication speed between a driver and a PC however it might trade-offs stability.
Standard = It’s a well balanced setting between shorter latency and stability.
Stable = Longer latency brings more stability.

Base Period (default Auto):
Under both WDM and ASIO circumstances, the option can change the operation cycle. Input latency gets lower with a lower setting but it causes high CPU load.

ISO Extra Buffer (default Auto)
It determines the output buffer size on ASIO. Choosing a lower amount results in lower output latency but it might produce noise at high CPU loads.

USB Frame Continuous Sync (default off)
We witnessed 500ms~800ms time stamp jumps in the USB streaming from PCs during our tests, and we concluded that some (or many?) PCs don’t generate a proper USB time stamp that our previous drivers refer to, for the synchronization between input and output. From the version 1.10.1 for Windows, our driver check the time stamp information only at beginning, and it will free-run after that. In result, the problem should disappear.

Skip Initial Samples (default off):
Audio driver might send a chunk of non-audio signal just before starting to transmit audio data. The signal disturbs synchronization between Input and Output.
The option prevents such a case by ignoring the unnecessary signal.

Overload Detection (default on):
Audio driver informs DAW about a condition when CPU load gets close to overflow, then a DAW notices the user with a peak lump. Previous driver showed excessive reactions in several cases.

Same issue with me too, including the audio dropouts at once every hour. Hope they get this fixed asap.

I am also having a similar issue.

Running the current (1.10.4 I believe) drivers on Windows 10 x64

I’ll be in the middle of recording, or even just watching netflix or something and the audio will become garbled and distorted. I need to hard reset the UR 22 with the power button to fix it. Sometimes it will go 2 minutes before exploding again and sometimes it will go an hour. Totally random. Have tried changing to a different USB port and that did not fix the issue.

I never had issues like this until recently (perhaps 1-2 months ago?) so perhaps its a windows update issue?

Please help!

Still no fix. Browsing and listening to music is impossible without audio fallout all the time. Steinberg support, please help.

Unfortunately, we cannot help with individual cases here as we don’t know what has been done before to address this. Please send a support request to the support team in charge instead.

@Ed Doll
I have gone trough all the steps you recommended me after I filed a request to the support-team.
It does not work.
It is not a Cubase issue, it is clearly an issue between the UR22MKII and windows 10. I have seen other topics on this, with exact same issue, and no solution too.
What to do but You making an update to the Yamaha 10.4 driver to help these issues?
Regards, Inuk

This is crazy. After updating the drivers for those 2019 I can’t work normally. It cracks every 15 minutes and make distorted sound until I restarted. Does anyone fix the issue here? Steinberg doesn’t care at all about this?

My audio doesn’t fade out when I listen to sounds on the internet, desktop , etc. But if i use my DAW the audio level fades out to very quite for 1 second and then goes back up again , and it repeats very often. Please do something about it.
In case there is no fix for it , how can I return my device by warranty ?

After lots of dropouts with Win10, I’ve had no dropouts or distortion (in a few hours of testing) when running UR22 mk II output from a Linux system (Ubuntu or Mint). You might consider ditching Win10 and using Ardour (if you need a DAW) under Linux Mint.

Hi Ed,
I do have different hardware but am also using the driver 1.10.4 on Win 10 with the issues of distorted sound output and recording with dropouts.
I tried to connect the device to three Win 10-devices, all completely different hardware and all have the same issue.
But when I connect to a Win7 machine with the same driver, everything is working fine!
So I think it is really a compatibility issue with the driver and the (latest?) Win10 version(s) and that Steinberg support should pick this up.
Cheers
snug

i have the same issue on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607,
how i have installed windows 10 Enterprise 1909 build on 2nd boot.

problem exists and is not gone, tried all of the drivers. Cant listen to music and Browse, play games.

most of the time i use DAW there is no problems, because DAW takes exclusive permission and i use Asio drivers. Stein berg own kernel based drivers work fine too.

The same issue here. It looks like every major Windows 10 update (damn updates are forced, you can’t stop them) brings the issue back.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i7-4790K, SSD hardisks, 32 GB RAM

BUMP -

Hey guys, just registered an account. I have the exact same problem. Tried disabling WIFI etc. but it really seems to be an issue with win10. Has anyone found a possible fix?

i had the same problems with windows 10 and ur22 but no problems with windows 7.after a lot of searching i managed to fix this by changing power options in windows 10.control panel -power options-advanced settings-high performance (Active) and change the usb selective suspend setting to disabled.that fixed the problems.

In my case it was fault of Nvidia HD audio driver, uninstalling it removed the crackling.

I uninstalled the default motherboard sound drivers, changed Windows power settings to USB suspend disabled and minimum processor to 100%. One of these things worked.

I did not have this problem until today… after installing the latest driver. I wish I didn’t install it. How can we undo this? I need to produce music and cannot work with this ear-piercing distortion! Please help!

This is not an individual case. This is an entire thread of people who all have the same issue and we’re all asking for support.

Please.