Feature Quest: SpectraLayers and SDIF Format

Hi,

I’ve been quite often engaged in spectral foolery for a few years now, both for analysis and (re)synthesis purposes as well as music creation and composition. In all these endeavours on the wild wide side of sound, there’s a feature that I find lacking in SpectraLayers, and that is the implementation of the SDIF format. SDIF is an awesome text-based format for description/transcription of every (digitally reproduceable) audio feature imaginable.

I don’t expect it to be forthcoming any time soon if ever, but it would be great to have it.

All the best,
António

Hi, first time I hear about this format. Good to know it exists, could be useful in a few scenarios :slight_smile:

Hi Robin,

First of all, congratulations on SpectraLayers, it’s great.

I have to contend with “in a few” (even in jest), the SDIF format is in fact quite powerful. From (inharmonic or harmonic) partials’ readings to spatialisation, it offers a plethora of means to achieve a “spectral score” of musical and non-musical acoustic phenomena. For a spectrally-minded (and up to a point, knowingly or not, we all are) musician and composer, it’s an awesome tool. Acousticians and sound engineers have much to gain from it too.

All the best,
António

+1 for SDIF export. Yes please!