Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

… or they could just fire a lot of software testers. My contribution to all this speculation is that dropping the old Windows versions should free up developers to concentrate on an upcoming Cubase for Linux.

That said, seeing as I’m on Windows 10, Cubase 9 and 10 have been absolutely solid for me, and both Windows 10 and Cubase just seem to keep getting better in terms of stability and “snappiness”. Sure, I have other gripes, but they are largely matters of taste (don’t get me started on the right-click toolbox!), so I have to say to everyone not yet on Windows 10: just do it.

Some suggestions to ease the pain: dual-boot or use an additional boot disk so you can switch back and forth until you’re completely happy with the transition. Without going into too much technical detail here in this thread, it’s relatively easy and cheap to back up everything, fit an additional harddisk and change the boot order in the BIOS. You can disable the port your current harddisk is on to protect it. Install Windows 10 on the new disk. You can switch back and forth by switching the boot disk in the BIOS.

Slightly more involved is dual- or multi-booting, where you can have multiple OSes on different partitions of the same disk, but it works wonderfully once set up properly. I have one laptop with Windows 10, Windows 7 and a minimal Windows XP for really old stuff and I can pick the OS from a boot menu using BootIt, which also has a utility for creating image backups of individual partitions and even entire disks.