Does Cubase Pro 10 still require a Dongle?

I don’t understand this. And what professional setup today doesn’t have internet access? Ah, well, the professional studio where I work is actually a good example of that. We didn’t have stable internet when we made the switch to studio one (just about digging fiber). Never, ever had any problems with starting the software after the occasional crash though. Or when starting on a different system. At times I had to use my phone as a connection point for a bout 30 seconds, but after that no problem at all.
Internet only needed when activating things though. No problem starting an already activated product, even when offline. So that argument is pointless…
I don’t have enough fingers, however, to count how many times I’ve forgotten the dongle in one system and therefore not being able to start working on another. Not to mention having to use USB-hubs in portable setups because you run out of USB-ports, thanks to dongles…

I think of it like this. There are two excuses to be made for the dongle:

1. Steinberg can’t market Cubase well enough to get people to buy it instead of turning to piracy.
    and/or
  2. Steinberg can’t make software that is hard to crack.

My point of there being no excuses for having the dongle relies on the fact that there are companies out there that make great DAWs without dongles.

And why not have both? Dongle for those who want that and something else for those who want that/aren’t afraid of not being able to start the DAW without an internet connection.

And more companies in the industry are getting this. Just go watch Slate Digitals YouTube video about ditching the dongle/making it optional.

Quite often I have clients that ask me about what DAW to get, and which one is “the best”. I usually give Cubase high praise, along with Pro Tools, but eventually tell them to look into Studio One. Main reason - multiple activations and dongle free.

/Jesper