Use group tracks as folders

Mate, do you know what legacy means? Some things will stay like they are - forever, get over it.
Like it’s not not impossible to mix a band if FL Studio, so it’s not not impossible to live without group-tracks-as-folders. Because the efforts aren’t worth the rewards.

Do you just talk for the sake of talking? Get over yourself. You act with entitlement and superiority. Your tone of writing and words just seem to condescend and belittle people.

I’m not losing sleep over not having group tracks as folders, it would just be a welcome feature. Other Daws have implemented this, and yes, Cubase may be superior in many other ways, but again, I beg you to ask yourself the question… Why the f**k not have it?

+1

Simple and straightforward answer: because implementation of this duplicate functionality will take time, resources and attention away from the more important things. And some FR really triggers me because of how irresponsible people makes up feature requests.

If you are looking for a way to improve Cubase, maybe you would like to say something in these FR threads:

Some great requests in your list but lots of opinion on this stuff will still be subjective. I will delve into some of these issues and discuss a little more in detail later on, but again if the devs at Steinberg ever had the time to implement the smaller things, they would still be welcome to a high number of people… noobs or not! p.s by the way I really hate pros calling people noobs… You were a noob once… don’t be so hard on those starting out. Better to educate them than to rant/get triggered.

Cubase has it too, it’s called Instrument Track. But it’s half-baked.

Now we have Instrument Tracks and Instrument Racks, which are essentially the same and overlap in a lot of features, but at the same time they lack some features from the other.

Instrument Tracks are half baked, but Instrument Racks are neglected. You just have to watch the “output” icon, which is the same of the Instrument Tracks but bad placed. Also, you can’t save outputs as presets and outputs are not persistent (which means you can’t update your instrument, because you’re going to lose all the settings you did in the outputs).

I mean, aren’t you able to see which is the problem and why it is important?

Maybe you don’t use this kind of tracks, which is perfectly fine, but I think you would agree with me in one thing: They should “end” what they started (Instrument tracks) and don’t let the old way die (Instrument Rack).

Of course, Steinberg has the last word and I don’t know if they read this forums a lot. Well, they do read the one about the exporting video feature, promised for 9.5 and now for 10.5.

This is already a bit off topic, but it shares the same soul than the OP request. Improve the workflow. And are related in a way, you have to use two tracks to do what could be possible (and better) in just one track. Especially for larger templates.

I suggest you do that yourself.

I have worked extensively with Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Studio One and Cubase (and dabbled somewhat with Ableton).

In comparison I find the workflow in Studio One and Logic Pro X superior (with regards to linear recording, otherwise Ableton is good).

Cubase has it’s fine moments but in many instances it has lagged behind.
Saying that the workflow in Cubase couldn’t/shouldn’t be improved is just ignorant rubbish.

+1

yes please!
And it would be great if one could assign a midi track to the folder and have it play all the instruments contained in it so it would also create a nicer workflow when it comes to stacking and layering synths. Using MIDI sends just doesn’t cut it and it’s laborious.

Now even Pro-Tools is getting it’s version of it and it’s dubbed “The most requested feature”.

Logic Pro X has it, Studio One has it, Pro-Tools soon has it, when will Cubase get it?

I hope never, still a bad idea.

So, even though it wouldn’t affect you at all, you don’t want anyone else to have it?
Grumpy much? :smiley:

But it will affect me, just by wasting resources on a feature that IMHO is unnecessary.

To each his own

Some would say that ARA is unnecessary.
Some would say that loops are unnecessary.
And some might even say that a DAW is unnecessary.

It is probably right for them but a lot a people would disagree and say it’s vital and necessary.

To me, having worked in both Logic and Studio One, I would say that having the option to use group Tracks as folders is an amazing organizational and structually simplifying tool that I miss and I would love to see it in Cubase.

After Avid adding it to the upcoming Protools (imo with the best workflow fo the concept), Cubase is the only big gun left without it. I’m sure Steinberg is thinking or working on to add it.

How is it related to being a pro or noob or lazy? It is just a workflow which some users find useful. If we will go to the noob/lazy route I can say chord tracks are lazy and noob. You can also add quantize to the list if you wish.
Anyways at least all the bedroom Protools noobs got it. :laughing:

Every time I stop making music to fiddle with groups and folders and other bull poop I remember this is actually good because other users want it this way

/agree!

+1
I would love to have this feature. Maybe just as an addition, so you can choose if you want to use a “normal” group track, or a “folder group” track.

cheers

+1
i would love the option to be able to group tracks together and have them automatically bussed into a group track

To be honest I don’t understand what function is requested.

• Add selected channels to group: Possible with one key command.
  • Move tracks inside folder track: Possible with Click, Shift Click, Drag.
  • Move group track inside folder track: Possible with Drag.
  • Show Channels that are connected with the First Selected Channel: Erm.

This is possible, IF the command is fired in the Mixconsole, and “Sync Project and Mixconsole selection is enabled”, AND you have the folder open in the project window.

I don’t understand what exactly is missing in Cubase that having group tracks as folders will solve.

1. I agree that visibility agents could be improved. In the above for example, “show connected channels” could work in the project window. Folders could automatically open when a channel within is selected by other means. This is a feature request. (Annual Request: Selecting a track in MixConsole selects tracks inside folders - Cubase - Steinberg Forums)

2. I agree that groups could get a “folderlike” style in mixconsole and apply their own visibilty agents on the spot. (If “sync project and Mixconsole” is enabled, it would apply to the project window too) Mixconsole: Visibility Suggestions (with screenshots) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

3. I agree that it should be easier to add channels to an existing group. Group track handling in arranger view - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Could the OP be more specific? In what ways would group tracks be akin to folders? If we wanted to assign the same track to 3 or 4 different groups, how would that be handled?