Midex 8 - Mac OS X Sierra 10.12 / High Sierra 10.13 works! (Updated 2018/02/16)

############################
(Update 2018/02/16 at bottom)
############################

:smiley: Hello everybody,

if you tried to get the Midex 8 working in Mac OS X El Capitan .11 and Sierra .12 (one day old) at my MacMini(2012), it is possible !!!
I use Logic9 (yes very old) but i think it is working in Logic 10 and other Programms, too.

here is a picture of my mac desktop where you can see it:
https://picload.org/image/rdlacloi/bildschirmfoto2016-10-20um00.4.png

But sometimes it is a little bit unreliable to start it. Once it runs then it runs till the next reboot.
The other disadvantage is that I need Parallels 10 with Windows 7 to start the driver.
But we want it to run! :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

I used the last unoffical mac driver from steinberg:
http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=915&L=1

I open the Audio-MIDI-Setup.app in Utilities. There I want to see the Midex in white border.
I open Paralells 10 with Windows 7.

Then I connect/disconnect the USB Items in the titlebar from Paralles. Sometimes the Midex is showing then in the Audio-Midi-Setup.app. If not then I disconnect, then connect the USB cable in the MAC. A popup shows me which of the computer i wish to connect with the midex (Win7 Parallels or MacMini). there i choose the MacMini. Sometime it is needed to be testing different connect / disconnect options. Mostly it is functionally when i disconnect & connect the cable.

I don´t know if it possible with an other Virtual Machine like Virtual Box or such an USB connecting / disconnecting programm.

Hope this can help anyone of you! :sunglasses:

André Müller

##############################################################################################################
UPDATE (High Sierra 10.13.3):

Hello again! :smiley:

Its working with old instructions above, but now we dont need Parallels and using now free VirtualBox VM with an old Windows XP 32bit (SP3). :wink:
So i found out its working also with VirtualBox VM nearly the same and High Sierra 10.13.3.
https://picload.org/view/darcowcl/bildschirmfoto2018-02-16um22.2.png.html

For Mac as driver i use the last unoffical mac driver from steinberg:
http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=915&L=1

So everytime i only start Windows in VirtualBox (its very fast loaded) i only have to do the last step of the list then its connected and usable.
(And then i can directly stop the VM.)

Some help for installing Win on VirtualBox: http://mac.appstorm.net/general/running-windows-on-your-mac-with-virtualbox/

Hope it works for all of you!

André Müller

HI Andre,
thank you for letting us know!
Several weeks agao, I had a go with my ancient Midex8 on El Capitan and it seemed to work somehow. Though I am not sure about the reliability. But your test with Sierra seems very promising!
:slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

Interesting finding and thanks for posting this info. However, it’s too late for me and many others I fear. I moved on and bought a MOTU 128 MIDI Express.

If you quit Parallels does continue to work? I wonder if it is just feeding the MIDI through from the Windows side back into the Mac.

Thanks Crefelder. I’m going to try your method on Mac OS El Capitan.

Sierra too? that is good …:slight_smile:

Hello,
I’m using this way… I’ll let the Midex drivers load in Yosemite where they work without any problem, then I restart into the El Capitan or Sierra system, which I have on other drives, where the Midex drivers will remain functional throughout the system work. In Cubase 8.5 they run all the time without any problems, but in Logic Pro X 10.3.1, unfortunately after some time they start to hang tones on HW synths, or some of the HW tools do not work at all after midi, and some of them do, the operation of the master keyboard even though Cubase is all right.
Try, write, thanks…
r.

Hey guys,
I had to replace my 14.3 iMac (21.5", late 2013, i7, Mac OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks) with a brand new 18.3 iMac (5k, mid 2017, i7, Mac OS 10.13.2 High Sierra).
I installed the ancient Midex driver (ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/Midex_8/Mac/1.0.0.b6/Midex_Mac_OS_X_Installer.zip)
but no luck at all.

IT DOES NOT WORK!

I see the MIDEX in the AudioMidiSetup but it stays inactive.
So, I have to look for an alternative at last, unless somebody fixes the driver of my beloved Midex8 quickly. :cry:

cheers and merry xmas anyway

My Midex 8 doesn’t work in High Sierra 10.13.6 Apple change the system again it’s a new file system called APFS and i don’t like.

Hi!

Today I connect Midex 8 to my MacBook Pro with last High Sierra. Working fine without any combinations.

can someone confirm midex 8 running in high sierra? which file system apfs or hfs+! Thanx guys

Hello Midex 8 users,

I have several Midex 8 modules as well as AMT8’s.
Everything worked fine in OS-X 10.8
I used the Midex drivers from Steinberg from 2010.

I have updated from Mountain Lion to High Sierra.
The Midex 8 was not recognized in Audio/Midi configuration.

Than I updated from High Sierra to Mojave OS-X 10.14.6
I de-installed the midex 3 driver.

The Midex 8 is now recognized in Audio/Midi configuration in OS-X Mojave !

And the Midex 8 is recognized in Ableton, Logic Pro, Reason and Cubase.

Nevertheless:
dear Yamaha and dear Steinberg system administrators:
if your programmers are open to develop a new driver for the Midex 8 with new features,
a LOT of users are willing to pay for it. Me as well.
So it does not have to be a costly adventure for you guys.
Thanks in advantage.

Hey Dnny, Im running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, and I’m not too sure hw to make this Midex 8 work. I use Cubase 11Pro and managed to download the old Midex 8 installer. Any ideas?

Hey mate, any luck on catalina or what did you do, new interface? Motu? Cheers.

Hey, iam currently hanging at Mojave, because of my 32bit plugins together with “Soundradix -32 Lives”. Also because of importing live tracks from “iTunes” inside “Pioneer Recordbox”, that is not working with new “Apple Music”. It is working for me in latest “Logic 10.x” and Mojave.

Tapping in !

can anybody link me with the latest unsoported driver for mac!
been looking for days now and all links seem to b dead and the f t p server inactive
would love to get my midex8 running again

1 Like

I need it to … if someone can share a link THX ;}

These are the latest - I saved them at my mac in the past:

Can anyone confirm the Steinberg Midex 8 works on the M1 architecture before I buy this Mac mini M2 ??
Thanks In advance