Repurposing CMC series devices as MIDI controllers

But they repopulate each startup. Please read the thread to understand what we’re talking about.

at each startup, like steve said, they come back ! so each time you launch cubase, it’s there and you must remove it. after a while it’s so boring that i give up, and just keep them at what they are made for ! Fader for the mix console ! :smiley:.
it’s unfortunate that we can’t de activate the new feature of cubase pro 9 to recognize any midi device turned ON after cubase launch. it’s a great feature, but in this case, it’s not that good !

ok i understand now. there must be a way to stop them from re-populating. I must admit i havent tried to do what you want ive always struggled to make sure they DO turn up in the list (faulty USB lead, faulty usb hub, faulty USB hub power supply, faulty USb port…it never ends), ive never wanted them to be missing@

there would have to be one of the Cubase ini files somewhere that you could hack to block them. Someone smarter than me might know how to do it and where?

to be honest steve i started this thread for another reason as you can see from the Subject line…so telling me to go read my own thread is a bit un-necessary. You should start a separate thread explaining this problem youre having for sure! Maybe then more ppl will see it and be able to help?

Right now I have it not working precisely the way I want! :wink: I have a switched USB hub, plugged into a USB 2 port, with 2 FDs and a TP. As long as I start Cubase with the hub turned off they don’t show up in the Device Setup.

The CMC driver seems to override everything else, which makes sense- the connection is robust and dependable, as designed.

Blackout, you’re right about the hijack. - my apologies. I’ve split the thread in two.

all good steve i just noticed you are a mod whoops apologies for trying to tell you the rules! hehe

i use a 2x USB switch box before my little hub. It looks like this:

so i just use one of the ports. The second one is dead. Ie “off”. So i just pop on and off all 4 of my CMCs with one switch on the edge of my desk :slight_smile:

:laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: You have the right to make a citizen’s arrest. :confused:

i use a 2x USB switch box before my little hub. It looks like this:

usb switch.JPG

so i just use one of the ports. The second one is dead. Ie “off”. So i just pop on and off all 4 of my CMCs with one switch on the edge of my desk > :slight_smile:

That’s basically same as me
20170807_171605.jpg

I know this is an old post but I want to re-purpose a CMC-Fd to control various functions in Cubase using generic remote (and Bome Midi Translator). I would like to know if there is a “touch” command sent out by the fader as well as fader command? I would like to use it for automating parameters and touch is crucial…

You didn’t have to PM me, I’m subscribed to the thread. Note Ons is the string it sends upon touching the fader.

Thanks!

I had another thought. When I installed my UR824 (quite a while ago), I seem to remember either not installing (or installing and removing) the UR824 Cubase app. I’m wondering if I can just install the CMC divers and NOT the “CMC Extension”?

no way around it.

BTW:
I have 2x CMC-Fd and I installed ONLY the drivers. Then I used Bome’s Midi Translator to translate the midi pitchbend/ccs from the CMC FDs to midi ccs and it works great!

You mean you installed Yamaha Yamaha USB MIDI Driver V3.1.3, and did not install the Steinberg CMC Extension V1.1.3?

And that the CMC devices don’t show up in Studio Setup? What version of Cubase are you on? This changed from version to version, so I stopped checking, and used the workaround above.

That’s very interesting, we must try !!

It does work here without the Steinberg CMC Extension V1.1.3 installed. The device isn’t populated in the Studio Setup dialog.

The trade-off though is the regular functions aren’t available for any other CMC devices- though holding down shift on the FD does still activate finer resolution.

These devices really are great. Their sale prices have only been going up on Ebay. Glad I have 2 FDs, 1 QC, 1 TP, 1 CH. I’m gonna be a millionaire between these devices and the Mac Plus I still have in my Garage. :wink:

Exactly. Cubase 10.0.15

I’m afraid i’ll keep mine during a while, until I found better controller… i’ll be poor for life anyway, always been lol :smiley:. i bought them all in 20177/2018 for a price around 90 to 100$ (maybe only one or two was at 50 or 60 max).

i see two downside (as i own them all lol except missing 2 FD… d*** lol… i must hurry !), must reprogram everything in bome, but it’s just a matter of time, it’s not a so much big deal (if we still want to use the other devices the way it does with cubase while using some specific one sending other message).
the small real issue i see (lol) is esthetic. the Led are helping me a lot, certainly there is a way to generate them, because on other controller it’s possible (saw that in the manual of the presonus or berhinger controller), it’s certainly a Midi Message or something. any idea about that ?

I tried to put information on a piece of paper over each pad / slider etc, but the “surface” of the devices make it difficult, someone found a solution for this ? i have a bad memory and have difficulty to remember all the different combinaison when using bome as i use these controllers for a lot of other software (video editor etc…).

but these controller are amazing, just sad that steinberg didn’t opened them to the others than cubase, and forcing (until now) their use in cubase with fixed edition, because it could have been very popular. I don’t know if the presonus or the berhinger controller (the one with the motorised fider) work, but unfortunatly, the fader make certainly some noise and i have big issues with noise, so can of forbidden to use such device. the pad on the PD and the fader don’t hurt my hands too, pretty amazing when we thing about it. Want to thank steinberg to have made them and at the same time, ins*** them a bit lol.

This is an interesting thread, apropos of nothing I was browsing the reaper forum, there is a chap named Geoff Waddington who with others has developed an addon for reaper called the control surface integrator. One of the devices he has written configs for is the CMC QC - 2.
I have an AI , which I would love to be able to use elsewhere, it would be very useful in video editing software, so I will examine bomes to see how I go there.
Geoff has written very good documentation for CSI, so it should not be difficult to re-purpose other CMC’s.
Feature request thread here: Control Surface Integration (CSI) Project Development, Features, Ideas, Discussion - Cockos Incorporated Forums
there is some discussion making the software available for other DAWS such as able.
General discussion here: Control Surface Integration (CSI) Project Development, Features, Ideas, Discussion - Cockos Incorporated Forums
For some reason the urls are messed up reaper publisher shows as rock ???

I fixed those urls- the phpBB forum software has a somewhat limited :wink: bad word censor function that doesn’t like the first syllable of the name of the company that makes Reaper.

Hey i use Bome Translator Pro with my AI all the time in video editing software (Vegas Pro 16 + SolveigMM video splitter etc…), the joggle is much more faster and easy to use for my hands (i have a both hand issue) than my ShuttleXpress that with time became defective (a move is not equal to one frame and need several ones, but it’s old, own it since 2012).
how to have different feature on the job of AI who has one possibility instead of the one from my shuttle Xpress who has two ?
i made two bome presets , one to do an edit in video software by “Frame”, and one by K-frame. how to switch between the two ? i use the “Job” Button (it’s bome who switch it, there is a feature "switch to preset number 2 if Midi comman “Note On 35” (for example) is send.
so i replaced my shuttleExpress for video editing by the AI Jog + Bome Translator.

a friend of mine made a script with AutoHotKey for me to switch automatically between different software / presets without having to do it manually in Bome (unfortunatly, this feature is not available in bome). here is the script :

1 Like