Jog Shuttle Control for Nuendo?

How about this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1335586-REG/jlcooper_mcs6usb_media_control_station.html

Those are heavy duty ones, which I guess is what you want in a jog dial.

Stay away from the JL Cooper Jog wheels.
The ones they made for Nuage are not usable. Really, there is NOTHING you can do with them.
And they are to f%$*** lazy and/or incompetent to solve the problem.

Fredo

wait, are you saying the official Nuendo Nuage controller has non functioning shuttle control?

Ah, that’s a shame. Similarly I use fabfilter plugs for all my EQ and dynamics. But good to know the jog shuttle at least works well. Maybe I can just use the encoders for sends or something. And if you don’t mind me asking, the shuttle isn’t just mapped to keyboard commands like the Contour shuttle controls, right?

Sorry, I now see that I wrote something confusing.
To be correct:

The Nuage jog wheel is the best wheel I have ever used. It is OUTSTANDING.
The Nuage Jog wheel has been made by Yamaha, not by JL Cooper.

JL Cooper has rebranded their Eclipse Panner to JL Cooper Nuage Surround Panner.
In fact, they did a good job as far as looks go.
For the rest, it’s utter crap.
Several of us have talked to JL Cooper, but it seems they couldn’t care less if their system works or not.
So that doesn’t give me any confidence for any of the JL Copper products that are supposed to work properly with Nuendo/Steinberg.

Fredo

I could make a sarcastic comment comparing that to customer experiences with Steinberg but it’s friday and it’s beer o’clock soon :wink:

the shuttle was midi command. The unit comes with a mapping software that export a file that you can import in Nuendo if I remember right that assign the wheel, shuttle, encoder, push buttons etc… to function via midi or HUI or Mackie protocol (you could choose I think). There were several options, and depending on the protocol you have a few changes in the assignment because of addressing function. You could also assign function to the encoders via the midi panel in Nuendo. I red a lot about midi back then, I forgot most :smiley: I remember that it was a good and proper build from people who did think about what producers need. You can actually also mail the guys, what I did, they were very kind and did answer fast. But for me, midi was not good enough, so I switched to eucon.

lol… “But how do you really feel about them?”…

Long week?

No, I’m fine. :slight_smile:

Just to give you an example.
Got this through email from their support team:

Once again, thank you for your feedback. While working on the Nuage Panner firmware for an unrelated matter, we remembered your comments and considered how to improve the situation. […] We have released a new version of the Nuendo firmware that now allows the Constrain buttons to latch. “To enable the latching of the Constrain buttons, simply hold the Null button on the unit during power up.”
Now, just for fun, just before you go for your first Friday-evening beer, spot the Mains button on the unit.
https://jlcooper.com/_php/product.php?prod=nuage
The On/Of button is to be found on the right photo (Rear view)
Then take a good look at the Photo right below. (Nuendo Panner in Expansion Chassis)
And the one bottom left (Nuage Panner installed in Nuage Console)

Now … read their answer one more time.
And look at the photo’s one more time.
This should keep you going on Beers for the rest of the evening.

Fredo

lol… Yeah… I guess if you have one power strip outside of the chassis you could hypothetically get it done, but it doesn’t strike me as a particularly good solution. And I trust you 100% that it isn’t a good solution.

Anyway, just thought your not that filtered response was funny.

Here is my shot on jog wheels. Coming from Akai 1500, I was looking for a jog for Nuendo from the very beginning.

JL Cooper controllers are very well built (all metal) but almost unusable.
I had MCS3800 and MCS3 with 9pin and USB cards but could not find any good use for them.
Many years ago I was talking to them on NAB and they simply did not understand the problem. It looks the company is coming from a traditional video market, but even their 9pin MCS 3 didn’t work properly with Sony Beta videorecorder.

Contour Shuttle has low resolution, just about 10 steps per rotation, with detents, which is no good.
I replaced the Shuttle cheapo plastic combo encoder (the same you find on VHS video recorders) with hi end Bourns industrial encoder with 100 steps per rotation.
It did cost me as much as the Shuttle itself. I screw on it the big heavy alluminium wheel from the MCS3, and it worked surprisingly well, emulating many editing functions you get in Nuage. It would spin for many seconds. But since the cursor travel speed was constant at 100 frames per rotation, it was only useful at certain ranges of zoom level. You would not want to travel across a film reel with it.

Griffin PowerMate is a good looking aluminium jog wheel only, with 24 frames per rotation, no detents.
It spins quite nicely and is usefull for editing in Nuendo. Not in production anymore, now they have a new Blu Tooth version which I did not test.

Absolutely the best jog wheel I have ever tried is on Sadie Controller. Smooth as butter, heavy wheel, speed is in screen pixels per rotation as it should be. Nuage is of course also fine, but why Yamaha doesn’t make a small baby Nuage, something like Sadie?

I don’t understand why nobody talks about MC Transport from Euphonix or later AVID. I know is not in market now, but it works very smoothly. Maybe AVID Pro Tools Dock has same wheel. It’s heavy, well constructed and with high inertia.

I mean, you did? In the first reply in this thread?

Oh, thanks for remind me.

I mean that if anyone uses Pro Tools Dock it would be nice to know his experience. I’m very happy with MC Trasnport but I wonder if a change to Pro Tools Dock would be fine.

You can see Griffin Power Mate jog function in the video below.
I made it to show smooth operation of DNxHD video inside Nuendo 8 (and associated problems with audio), but you can see basic jog navigation, 24 frames per rotation, starting at about 1:10.
As you can see the operation is smooth, nothing like you experienced with Shuttle Pro.

Looks nice Peter. Just for the sake of eliminating issues: Did you ever try the Shuttle with DNxHD?

Sorry no, I usually convert everything to pro res.
This video was recorded because several testers were complaining about DNxHD not working smoothly in Nuendo 8.

Just realised I never updated this.

I got an Aspiron D400T in the end.

The jog shuttle is … ok. Bit clunky and weird with Nuendo.

Artist control and transport are not obsolete. It use EUCON protocol. You can try this protocol with an IPAD and the free application of AVID. It works very well with Nuendo (11 included)

This is of no help to anyone but it has reminded me of the lovely jog wheel on my SmartAV Tango. I must remember to wiggle it now and then.