Jog Shuttle Control for Nuendo?

Wonder why no one mentioned the CC121 – I used to have it, but got rid of it since it’s not compatible with the many other apps I use. But for Cubase/Nuendo, it worked great IMO. Just takes up way too much desk space for what it does IMO. If it were totally programmable, then I’d buy one again. Also, I know the CMC-AI was discontinued, but maybe that would still work?

P.S. And BTW, I just bought the ShuttleProv2 to test out and it’s definitely not ideal of course, since it emulates key commands, but it’s better than nothing IMO, especially for the price, and it does work with just about any other app you might use.

The cc121 isn’t a wheel though, it’s a knob, which to me makes quite a bit of difference.

And the Shuttle was fine for many things using key commands, but ultimately the problem with triggering some things made it a no-go for me. I think it was the inability to step back/forth by frame that was the problem. When moving the wheel and then stopping Nuendo would “overshoot” or “flicker” rather than correctly park on the desired frame. I could never get it to work so I gave up on it.

It maybe no longer available, but I wouldn’t say that it is obsolete. It works well and can be found for a reasonable price on Ebay… so did I and I’m very happy.

1 Like

Very true that it’s a knob, but it was the best physical transport device I’ve used with Cubase/Nuendo so far, and had a decent granularity of little detents and comparatively decent feel for acceleration in the knob to make it work pretty well zipping around the timeline and going frame-by-frame. As close as I’ve come to a good transport/control surface so far for Steinberg stuff.

Ugh that’s a damn shame. I might disagree that it’s better than nothing though, I found the experience of using it in Nuendo extremely unpleasant, especially compared to how lovely it worked in Audition and Vegas.

Yeah, like with anything, YMMV. I would love a really good new universal shuttle/jog device from Steinberg, that was compact and let us program macros and key commands for other apps. :slight_smile: If anyone knows of a good solution, I’m all in. For now, I’m playing with the ShuttleProv2, which is obviously nothing special, but at least it lets me move between apps pretty fluidly with similar muscle memory for buttons. I would love a higher-end version of that.

The CMC-TP works nicely for this if you can find one out there.

what is your budget?

How much can a jog shuttle cost?

I actually just remember that I tested years ago, maybe three or four, the asparion jog shuttle control module, Asparion D400. I must say that the wheel worked very well and very precise, top Nuendo integration on the wheel side. But it is Midi and uses the Mackie Protocol I think. It was quite odd to use the encoder, especially when you already used eucon controllers… All in all, nothing for me so I sent it back. But maybe interesting for you. It’s a small german Company and the quality was outstanding and very robust.

Thanks that does look interesting indeed, seems I can buy just the transport section. What was wrong with the encoders?

The encoders work well on the channel strip section (was Nuendo 7, maybe its better now), but I had problems to map them on third party plugins like Izotope. As I mostly work with insert plugins instead of those from the channel strip section it didn’t improve my workflow a lot for this amount of money.

How about this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1335586-REG/jlcooper_mcs6usb_media_control_station.html

Those are heavy duty ones, which I guess is what you want in a jog dial.

Stay away from the JL Cooper Jog wheels.
The ones they made for Nuage are not usable. Really, there is NOTHING you can do with them.
And they are to f%$*** lazy and/or incompetent to solve the problem.

Fredo

wait, are you saying the official Nuendo Nuage controller has non functioning shuttle control?

Ah, that’s a shame. Similarly I use fabfilter plugs for all my EQ and dynamics. But good to know the jog shuttle at least works well. Maybe I can just use the encoders for sends or something. And if you don’t mind me asking, the shuttle isn’t just mapped to keyboard commands like the Contour shuttle controls, right?

Sorry, I now see that I wrote something confusing.
To be correct:

The Nuage jog wheel is the best wheel I have ever used. It is OUTSTANDING.
The Nuage Jog wheel has been made by Yamaha, not by JL Cooper.

JL Cooper has rebranded their Eclipse Panner to JL Cooper Nuage Surround Panner.
In fact, they did a good job as far as looks go.
For the rest, it’s utter crap.
Several of us have talked to JL Cooper, but it seems they couldn’t care less if their system works or not.
So that doesn’t give me any confidence for any of the JL Copper products that are supposed to work properly with Nuendo/Steinberg.

Fredo

I could make a sarcastic comment comparing that to customer experiences with Steinberg but it’s friday and it’s beer o’clock soon :wink:

the shuttle was midi command. The unit comes with a mapping software that export a file that you can import in Nuendo if I remember right that assign the wheel, shuttle, encoder, push buttons etc… to function via midi or HUI or Mackie protocol (you could choose I think). There were several options, and depending on the protocol you have a few changes in the assignment because of addressing function. You could also assign function to the encoders via the midi panel in Nuendo. I red a lot about midi back then, I forgot most :smiley: I remember that it was a good and proper build from people who did think about what producers need. You can actually also mail the guys, what I did, they were very kind and did answer fast. But for me, midi was not good enough, so I switched to eucon.