expression maps with Cinematic Studio Strings

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
dprice112

expression maps with Cinematic Studio Strings

Post by dprice112 »

Hi, I am having issues programming Expression Maps for Cinematic Studio Strings.

For those unfamiliar with the library, you choose a short articulation with both a keyswitch and the veolcity of the keyswitch, for instance if you want pizzicato, you use the keyswitch G0 with a low velocity, if you want col legno, you use the same keyswitch with a high velocity.

That said, I've tried making an expression map that selects pizzicato by triggering a keyswitch at a low velocity (data 2 set to "1", see screenshot)

This works when the articulation is initially triggered in the track, however, whenever I stop playback and navigate to a different part in the track when the 'pizzicato' articulation is still supposed to be active, the articulation switches to col legno.

I know it's a rather specific problem, but has anyone encountered a similar issue and know a fix?

Thanks!
-Dylan
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.20.34 PM.png
(1.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Mac Pro (2019)
3.3GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon W
MacOS Catalina 10.15.4
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Audio Interface
Cubase Pro 10.5

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: expression maps with Cinematic Studio Strings

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

How is your Preferences > MIDI > Chase Events Setup? Are you sure you don't send the relevant MIDI Note, which switches the articulation to col legno as the last one? How is the col legno switcher defined?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

dprice112

Post by dprice112 »

Currently everything is being chased (see attachment)
And I don't have a switcher for col legno, only pizzicato
The output mapping for pizz is one Note On message at a velocity of 1 to trigger the articulation, and one Note On message at a low velocity to trigger con sord off
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 11.16.55 AM.png
(121.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mac Pro (2019)
MacOS Catalina 10.15.4
Cubase Pro 10.5

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

I would probably recommend to disable Chase for SysEx. Just for safety reason.

I also wonder, if it's necessary to Send Reset on Stop. This could also may be the reason. Try to disable it.

And I still wonder, why does it switch to the col legno? There must be a way, how to call this articulation. Some MIDI Message. And this MIDI Message has been sent (by accident).
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

dprice112

Post by dprice112 »

Hmm still no luck with Sysex chase disabled and Reset on Stop disabled.

The col legno articulation can also be triggered with a high mod (CC1) value. Pizz is triggered with a low mod value. I've added a low mod automation point in the part, and yet it still triggers col legno for some reason when I move the playhead to different parts in the track.

Might there be some way I'm triggering a high mod value with the expression maps that I don't know about?
Mac Pro (2019)
MacOS Catalina 10.15.4
Cubase Pro 10.5

benjaminduk

Post by benjaminduk »

dprice112 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 pm
Hmm still no luck with Sysex chase disabled and Reset on Stop disabled.

The col legno articulation can also be triggered with a high mod (CC1) value. Pizz is triggered with a low mod value. I've added a low mod automation point in the part, and yet it still triggers col legno for some reason when I move the playhead to different parts in the track.

Might there be some way I'm triggering a high mod value with the expression maps that I don't know about?

I think you should take a look at this. It's a very detailed tutorial on setting up Expression Maps for CSS.

https://medium.com/pragmatic-sound/how- ... 8963cf1896
Cubase 9.5 Pro, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen), Intel i7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard, 48GB Ram, Adam A7X Speakers, Icon Platform M+

HarryAndre

Post by HarryAndre »

I guess at some point you found a solution to this but I'll post nonetheless in case this is helpful to someone else, or if you return here at some point and let us know what it was! :)
I feel like it might have been the CC1 data, indeed. Even if you specify a starting value for it, if you go somewhere in the track where you've used the mod wheel, that value would change. The best thing would be to right click on the mod wheel graph in the library and disable CC1 completely.

Return to “General”