Workflow for songwriting - starting new project without creating a new folder every time

Don’t use the default location route!

This is how I do it:

1. File/New Project, select your desired Template.
  2. Select “Prompt for project location”. Click on “Create”
  3. Navigate to your “New Songs” folder ( the first time you’ll have to create this but in my case it always goes to this folder by default now it’s there).
  4. Click “OK”
  5. Now start to work your magic. All Audio files will be saved into the Audio folder of the “New Songs” folder. Give the creation a name if you want to save the work. If you don’t give it a name then you’ll lose everything including recorded audio files when you close.
  6. If you decide this is something worth keeping use the File Backup Project option which will create a new folder (with the name of the song I’d suggest). This new named folder has all your audio files and a copy of the project file.

The “New Songs” folder still has the audio files and the version of the Project folder so this does maybe have to be tidied up occasionally. I suppose this might be an issue if you have an awful lot of small idea files that you don’t ever save to their own folders but it’s not an issue I’ve run into. My new songs folder currently has 23 project files in it and the Audio folder just under 100 snippets of Audio. If I wanted to tidy it up I’d probably do it by date.

Hope this makes sense.

Not even sure what the default template is but you can save as many of your own templates as you want, I have various with all my groups and routings already in place…saves loads of time and with everything always laid out the same time makes it all second nature.