Desperately need the color tool back

Hi Matthias, can I respectfully ask what is the background of these kinds of decisions Steinberg is taking?
Why remove things that were crucial to people’s workflows, Like this one, or the new right click contextual menu, which I think is a good move, but it seems that you have removed lots of options that are contextually valid.

My point is, why the stubbornness of forcing users to work your way, and hinder their proven workflow, which saves them time and put food on their table?

The attached image shows the 9.5 & 10 color selection GUIs side by side.

If I had recordings of an oud and a minimoog solo that I wanted to color code, which GUI would you rather use to accomplish the task? One makes it pretty easy while the other makes the task very difficult bordering on impossible.

So no it will not do the job.

you have a very interesting and very specific way to use colors. i can see why the new color kills your workflow.
it speaks to my general complaint regarding Steinberg updates: they fiddle all the time with the visuals and change things that are not broken. and sometimes break things on top of it. focus on the essentials and functionality!

Matthias, would appreciate some comment on whether or not this has been passed on to devs and if it’s being reconsidered, Danke

I can see how it affects your particular workflow. One solution that would suit your workflow (that would take some time to set up) would be to create a set of logical editor functions and assign it to a macro key. So in your session, lets say you have 50 different instruments loaded and named that need colouring. You could literally click 1 key and Cubase will automatically assign the correct colour for each instrument based on the name of each channel. That way you’d never need to open the colour pallet again, or even look at the names.

Yup, that is what it has come to. It is the Project Logical Editor by the way, not the regular one. Attached is a PLE Preset example of how set a Track to a specific color. In the bottom Parameter 1 should show you a list of your colors. This is a bit different than the Color Tool/Picker in that it doesn’t matter if any Parts are selected - it just colors the currently selected Track(s) and any Parts on them.

You need to make one of these for each color, which can get tedious. But once that’s done, as Marcus points out, they can be assigned to Key Commands. Or used in other interesting ways… (drum roll, coming soon)

So, would your track name have to be ‘Cello’ in order for it to associate it to that colour, or will it look for track names containing Cello and still be able to associate… If your track name is ‘Cello 1 Neumn-L’, will it still assign the proper colour?

It doesn’t care what the Track is named (although you could make the PLE check names, there’s an example I think) it will color any selected Track to the color I named Cello.

We are aware of your feedback, but there will be no changes in the upcoming first maintenance update.

necessity, mother, invention, etc.

Since the current state of the Color picker makes it close to useless for me, it forced me to come up with an alternative solution. Won’t work for everyone, but if you have Metagrid this turned out pretty sweet.

Steinberg was right to think that the old Color Tool needed an update. Scrolling to find a color could become annoying fast. Unfortunately they didn’t seem to fully think through the ramifications of the changes being made.

Once I created 60 PLE Presets like above (yikes! 60 colors) I was able to assign them to Metagrid buttons. As you can see in the attached, the display is similar to the new Color Picker - except you can read the names. Oh & it can sit on my lap. :laughing:

That’s pretty nifty. anyone know of an android/pc equivalent?

Thank you! This helps my planning as I will hang onto 9.5 and reinstall it after my PC reformat. Would it be reasonable to expect that first maintenance update will be released alongside the demo this coming month?

Pretty sure there isn’t. I got a used iPad just to run it. Glad I did.

Good idea

• 1 !

the new color tool ist much faster than the old one!

Although the labels of the colors are missing in C10, but I suspekt there are not very much users who have used this labeling option.
In the old tool there was a huge long list, you had to open this every time!!! - I found that extremely annoying !
The new color tool is the right way.
Maybe next step with labels. Why not, then everyone should be satisfied.

No it’s not. if you knew the colour sampler existed by holding alt, you only had to open that long list if you needed a colour you hand’t used yet.

Secondly, there is no last colour used queue… so you have to keep RE-SELECTING the SAME COLOUR even though you want to colour the events the same… Explain how this is quicker?

Explain

“better” Cubase 10 Colouring

vs

Cubase 9.5 Colouring

Matthias, comparison videos between 9.5 and 10 above if your colleagues aren’t understanding what we’re getting at here. It’s a BIG difference for those of us that work efficiently at a professional level, counting seconds of the day to get stuff done.

i see that the discussion is shifted to “workarounds”. which is nice in itself, but does not address the underlying problem of tweaking things without a compelling reason. the whole point of a DAW with a good workflow is to AVOID workarounds! on top it looks that Steini is refusing to do anything about it anyway. my experience over the years is that they NEVER go back on any decision once it is implemented, regardless of user feedback.

But where Steinberg blew it on this is totally removing the color name/labels from the pallet (and no hovering to see the name over the color is not even vaguely as useful).

+1 Totally agree with that. The new tool is perfectible.