Windows 10: audio dropouts on multi-core CPU setups

So does the registry fix solve the problem now? I’m planning a new computer build and I’m thinking of i9 9900k (8 core, 16 thread). Would it be totally pointless if we need to disable 2 threads anyway?

To the best of my knowledge, the registry fix makes things more stable but yes you’re abandoning anything over 7 cores with hyperthreading. So this new Basin Falls range is largely a waste of time for Cubase users. Really hoping C10 changes something in the Audio Engine to get round this… the registry “fix” is certainly no long term solution and Steinberg will be making themselves increasingly irrelevant if Cubase can’t use new technology.

The registry key is meant to overcome the limitation set to 32 MMCSS, it is not limiting to any arbitrary number of cores, be it 7 or anything else - on the contrary, it allows to use all available cores/threads.
The audioengine.properties file is the only work-around limiting the amount of used cores (to 14)

However, the audio engine in Cubase 10 already changes this.

Thank for the clarification

Excellent news. Pre-christmas release I hope?

r,
j,

So did I understand it right. When cubase 10 arrives it is now possible to get a processor that has for example 20 cores? And it will work right.

Could you also program the installer to check for the older 1.9.x Yamaha USB driver and update to the latest >1.10.x where needed when Steinberg hardware is used on the system?
This is important for CPU load and preventing constant peak even with no project loaded under WIn 10 180x.

nice one!

After I found out that C10 is really nice in my first tests I am just building a new machine feat the new 9900K - with 8 cores and 16 logical cores.

Unfortunately I stepped over a bug in C10 (hitpoints are broken!!) which unfortunately needs me to wait with switching to C10.

What is the best procedure to run C9.5 (recording, editing) and C10 (mixing) on this machine?
Just switching of HT in the bios? I found that C9.5 barely use the HT-extra cores… so this might not make a huge difference … When C10 is fixed I should easily be able to switch on HT again?

In older days I had the experience that Cubase never made much use out of the extra HT cores, but the overall performance of the system was a bit snappier - maybe because Win used the extra Cores for some stuff in high-load situation.

Sorry when this is OT, maybe one can direct me to a topic dealing with 16 cores / Win10 / C9.5…?

To stay On Topic: I will do some intense testing with high load projects in C10 running 16 cores - of cores :slight_smile: I am corious :slight_smile: My current project is around 850 audio/group tracks and I need juice thats why I am upgrading…

ah, one second, maybe I mixed it up we are in the C9 board ATM… it would be OT in the topic featured in the C10 board :slight_smile:

… when I switch of HT in the bios… does this affect anything in W10 which needs to be changed? In other words:

Could it be a solution to just switch of HT in the bios when in recording sessions and when needing some extra juice in a C10 mix I switch on, reboot?!

I do not want to edit the registry on that fresh system because the days of (very wonderful) C9x are counted - at least when C10 is fixed…

Ok, maybe the better idea ist to disabling one physical Core (2 logical cores) in the bios?

Will this fix these issues I have to expect in Win10 running C9.5 on a 8/16 core system?

I am new to Win10, I am still using Win7 and have Zero issues… 6 physical cores, 12 with HT…

Just for the record for anyone else looking for big fast multicore solution that really works, the other rig I have runs a Xeon 14 core 2673v3 and windows 7 and it is flawless. 25% cpu on a huge template 1700 tracks with VSL EP and CB9 running on the same machine. What an idiot I am! Should have stuck with that.

I think Steinberg should really think about putting this warning in the tech requirements as more and more W10 i9 multicore computers wont run CB. Currently their tech requirements are simply not true.

To be fair, I am running w10 on a 14-core i9, and since 10.5 and keeping Turboboost turned off, I am running fine. Even with a huge Hollywood Orchestra template based on Hans Zimmerman’s template.

I am not getting spikes or dropouts at the moment.

Hello, everyone. Have someone found the solution for the problem? Because there are still performance issues with cubase 10,5 with overloaded performance meter and task manager showing only 20 per cent of cpu load.

There are several posts, with long lists of system configuration settings (some for UEFI, others for Windows 10) to customise yoyr system for Cubase, but they’re only useful if you need your computer just for Cubase and nothing else.

On a 10-core i9, I get spikes and dropouts even with a single track project (which I used only for testing). My system features 32GB Ram, m.2 ssd, 4x nvidia gpus (for 3d rendering), 5x Sata HDDs and a Thunderbolt card, on an Asus X299 Sage Workstation motherboard.

Looks like Windows 10 is not good at managing resources efficiently, or Cubase doesn’t make good use of the operating system’s capabilities, or both are true. Can’t be sure…

Hey ntsarb,
Since I see you’re experiencing problems like me, did you find any solution? As I wrote here Cubase 10 unusable due to regular spikes and clicks - Cubase - Steinberg Forums I find out that the dual video card setup (Intel + NVidia) has something to deal with the spikes, but any other thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Raoul

Hi Raoul, I had not found a solution until today. I upgraded to Cubase Pro 11. On my Intel i9 7900X based system, it eventually performs efficiently, using ASIO-Guard, Level: Low (17ms additional latency). In Cubase Pro up to version 10.5, even with high ASIO-Guard setting, spikes were a major problem with every project, irrespective of number of channels. Looks like Steinberg has resolved the problem in the latest version, but I’m also thinking it’s unacceptable to be asking people to upgrade in order to make the software usable…

Having said that, I am not suggesting you should upgrade to the latest version, as I can’t be sure that your system is affected in the same way mine was, but if you normally upgrade, I highly recommend that you upgrade sooner rather than later. Version 11 addresses several other issues, including support for Hi-DPI displays in Windows.

I hope you find the above useful.

Hey ntsarb,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. What I did not mention in my post is that I’m already using Cubase 11. In any case, your experience confirms everyone’s thoughts: laptops and audio recordings are not good friends, at least these kinds of laptops.
The point is that you can find an acceptable way to record with those specific configurations, but you need to “expect the unexpected” in the end.
Because of this, I ended up buying a desktop, but again it’s a shame there are no solutions.

Thanks,

Raoul