[SOLVED] MIDI output always sending to channel 1

When I route a midi track to a particular MIDI channel it always sends to channel 1. It does whether sending to an external midi interface and a hardware synth or an iPad synth such as Animoog

Set your midi track to be MIDI thru, select the interface you are sending to, set the channel to be 16 but have the instrument listening on channel 1. The instrument will trigger. Move the instrument to channel 16 it won’t trigger. This seems to happen for any channel number - it will always go to 1

Cubasis 2.1
IOS 10.3.1

Many thanks

Ian

Hello support - has anybody had a chance to look at this yet?

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your message.

Your issue is already listed in our backlog (CB-1313 MIDI Thru doesn’t re-channelize) and is planned to fixed with a later update.

Best,
Lars

Same or similar issue here. I don’t intend to just complain, but i want to report MY issues and hope it helps fixing it soon.
I have a Korg Microkey and i want to use Roland Sound Canvas in the background. So i set up 16 “No Intrument” Tracks with Virtual Midi out to each corrosponding channel. With the on-screen keyboard of Cubasis it works well, but the Microkey only sends to channel one regardless what what setting i make.

The funny part is that if i am, for example, on track 10 (routing to channel 10’of the sound canvas) with the onscreen keyboard open and i play the real keyboard, i see the keys on screen react, but no sound on this channel!

I hope this bug will be fixed soon.

This months old issue is so fundamental and basic, that it stops any halfway useable Cubasis workflow. It has caused me to abandon using Cubasis once more, apart from the most elementary sketch recording of one or two tracks, for the time being.

What I want to say is: this is a MAJOR issue completely devaluating Cubasis use. It does NOT have time until some casual update may happen after some more months. From my view this single issue urgently needs a QUICK FIX, as soon as possible.

It’s really a bit ridiculous, working with a serious sequencer app, which can only send midi out to channel 1 from it’s midi tracks! It forced me to switch back to a heavy notebook for mobile use, instead of using Cubasis on my iPad Pro.

So yes, I do intend to complain: this severe issue has been unfixed MUCH too long. Come on guys!

On my search for a workaround i tried another DAW that i bought few years ago: Music Studio. In Music Studio the MIDI Routing works perfect and with this one you can use a multitimbral synth. However, the workflow is, compared to cubasis, a catastrophe and really no fun.
But from the technical side it shows that MIDI routing in cubasis is just unusable. Again, please!!! fix this!!!

Any progress since over one year?

I don’t use the Roland SoundCanvas anymore because of other issues…

But, i just installed the Korg iM1 (also a multitimbral device) and Cubasis still sends any MIDI regardless what channel i choose to the iM1 channel 1.
Is it real that Steinberg is unable to fix this?

Heck no, they do not fix issues that bother paying users. They only fix issues they see fit…

Cubasis doesn’t automatically forward a track’s MIDI input to MIDI output.

By default, MIDI input triggers the track, which is why you see the keys pressed on the internal keyboard, and MIDI output is only produced by playing the internal keyboard or via track playback.

Activating the MIDI Thru button will forward all MIDI input from the selected port to the selected MIDI output port. However, Cubasis has the known limitation that all MIDI data is forwarded 1:1 without re-routing. In other words, if MIDI Thru is enabled, the channel selection is ignored and everything is routed thru.

MIDI Thru re-channelizing is on our list of future updates. Until then, there are two workarounds:

1. Enable the MIDI Thru button and configure your hardware keyboard to send on the desired MIDI channel.
  2. Use a MIDI routing app to route the MIDI signals and change their channels. MidiBridge was a good app for that, but the developer does not seem to have updated the app for iOS 11.

Best,
Lars

This makes things clearer for me, thank you for that.

[quote=LSlowak post_id=760359 time=1531841991 user_id=33487

1. Use a MIDI routing app to route the MIDI signals and change their channels. MidiBridge was a good app for that, but the developer does not seem to have updated the app for iOS 11.

[/quote]

Maybe Midiflow from Johannes Dörr?

Hi all,

MIDI Thru is planned to be addressed with the upcoming Cubasis 2.7 update.
We’ll evaluate to have selected users added to the beta program, once the feature has been implemented and pre-tested.

Best,
Lars

Hi,
I’ve been struggling with this thinking I must be doing something wrong for 2 evenings :unamused:
Surely Inter-App Audio spec. has this as requirement(?) and if not why not?
Interesting position after today’s pitch from Apple apparently pushing iPad over MacBooks, lol

Seriously though…
Come on guys, this feature was there in the 1980’s Cubase on Atari ST. :open_mouth:

Hi cleverr1,

As mentioned above, MIDI thru will be refreshed in the upcoming Cubasis update.
Feel free to drop me a private message, if you want to join the beta program.

Best,
Lars

Apparently, the same thing is happening in Cubase LE 9.5. This is so basic, it’s like in the top 10 essential things in a DAW since the middle ages. It certainly worked 25 years ago, COME ON!

MIDI Thru re-channelizing is on our list of future updates. Until then, there are two workarounds:

1. Enable the MIDI Thru button and configure your hardware keyboard to send on the desired MIDI channel.
  2. Use a MIDI routing app to route the MIDI signals and change their channels. MidiBridge was a good app for that, but the developer does not seem to have updated the app for iOS 11.

It’s not clear if both things are needed. I do switch my keyboard channel to match each external synth, select the corresponding track with proper channel setting, and the note always goes to the channel 1 synth. As to using an external app to fix that, I wouldn’t dream of it: I’d be too ashamed at myself for stooping that low. Cubase LE is practically free, but that’s no reason not to put this issue on the front burner! I thought I’d start with it then move up to Cubase Artist, but the least I can say is that I’m quite wary right now…

If there is a beta for Cubase LE fixing this preposterous BUG, I’ll give it a try, though. Please let me know, thanks.

As mentioned above, MIDI Thru refresh will come with the next update, soon to be released.

Best,
Lars

Hi all,

Please note that MIDI thru has been refreshed in the recently released Cubasis 2.7 update:

Best,
Lars