Halion standalone version cannot record audio outputs?

I agree! I’m not having any problem doing this. I can choose between H6 output buses, or individual mixer slots based on the loaded program/preset name.

Does this not work for you? It does for me…

Before you begin recording, It’s a good idea to click on an unused HALion instrument slot set to an unused MIDI port/channel in HALion and initialize a fresh new program. (right click slot and choose Initialize). The reason for this is because once the recording stops, samples get dropped into the active program as a fresh new sample zone. Having a fresh and active program out of the way helps avoid inadvertent triggering of your resulting sample later in your session workflow.

Open a Sample Recorder editor in HALion.

Right beside the record, play, and reset icons is a pop up menu to choose inputs. You can chose the set of stereo inputs from your audio interface as set up in “Plug-in Preferences/Inputs”, from any of the active HALion output buses, or from a specific loaded program slot in HALion.

When recording from here on my Windows 10 rig, the product file ends up by default as a wav file in: “%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Steinberg\HALion 6\Recordings”. It will get a naming convention established in the Sample Reccording editor (I.E. Base pitch and key position, such as record-C3-01.wav). It’ll also drop the sample into the currently selected program/layer/zone, which you can delete once you are done (the sample remains on the hard drive). Long samples and RAM size are not a problem, as it gets recorded directly to disk.

Does your audio interface support live monitoring?

Example:

I’ve an m-audio Delta 1010 that has a stereo Monitor bus. It routes anything going into the Delta 1010 into a mixer I can open from my system tray. This mixer provides ASIO drivers that can be set as the ‘inputs’ in HALion. In my case they are actually named “Monitor L” and “Monitor R” respectively. So for me at least, it’s a piece of cake to sample anything going into the Delta 1010 back into HALion in stand alone mode.

If your audio interface doesn’t have a monitor feed, then it’s possible to create one using real patch cables, or in software using Virtual Cables.

In some cases, since everything is ASIO all the way, all you’d need to do it via software is install Jack2.

The jackd server creates a routing matrix between your ASIO compliant hosts and your audio interface. So, once properly installed you’d set “JackRouter” as the ASIO device in HALion. If anything you wish to record from is also asio, they can also be set to use JackRouter as their driver, thus making it possible to route a signal from any ASIO app to another. If the source apps are not ASIO…If you are lucky, you could then route a return from the audio device right back into HALion.

For some audio interfaces with less flexible routing options, this setup might also require ASIO4ALL and a virtual audio cable such as VB-Cable. In this case you’d have ASIO4ALL aggregate VB-Cable into the JackRouter matrix (set up Jack2 to use ASIO4ALL as its main audio device), thus allowing a software based virtual ‘loopback cable’.