Win 10 1803 reintroduces crackles in UR22

The previous Win 10 build + the UR22 1.10 driver finally put an end to crackles when using the interface in a non-daw setting. With 1803 they’re back, at least in my (laptop) system. Anyone else experience this?

r,
j,

Update: reinstalling the driver did not help. It is now back to where it was five months ago, crackle and dropout hell. Argh.

Using the built-in soundcard (Realtek) is crackle-free.

[trying different values in the “advanced” tab made no difference, inc. skip initial]

j,

Update 2: Updating the Wireless driver with the newest version straight from Intel AND disabling some of the “yellowed” WAN Miniports (code 56), seems to have fixed the problem. I have no idea if the latter actually mattered, they didn’t cause any problems with the previous Windows build. Anyway, the crackles are gone. For now… :slight_smile:

j,

Update 3: The above hasn’t completely cured the crackle problem. It’s better than it was at its worst, but not as good as 1709 with the latest driver. Upping the Base Period and ISO buffer + checking Skip Samples makes it usable, but something has definitely changed between 1709 and 1803.

r,
j,

Update 4: The 10.0.1 driver seems to have cured the problem. For now, all is good.

j,

I’m having these issues with Windows 1803 and 10.0.1 driver. I have tried everything above and still have these issues.

The settings that work best for me are (driver: advanced tab [ctrl-shift-a]): 14434f:Standard/8ms base period/auto ISO/UNcheck USB/CHECK skip and overload.

I still get some dropouts when using a web browser, but nowhere near as bad as before.

r,
j,

Nothing I do makes this problem go away. I have tried contacting Steinberg support, but they are not responding after 4 days. I should probably return this before it is too late. With the audio drops, this is pretty much useless to me.

A small (and perhaps sad) update: I could not completely get rid of the crackles and dropouts with the UR22 with Windows in a non-DAW setting. So, I picked up a used RME Babyface MK1 that I came across for a low price – and lo and behold, my system now works at it should. This leads me to strongly suspect that the driver for the UR series isn’t as good as it should (or could) be.

r,
j,

I had same issue recently in Win10 and in Win7 on older laptop few years back.
Nvidia HD audio driver caused the problem, I’ve uninstalled this and noise disappeared. Unfortunately I cannot send audio over hdmi anymore.