Cubase Won't Close After You Exit The Project

Same here, mostly on more memory intensive projects. Sometimes it closes the project / quits the program after a long wait, sometimes it just hangs. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying when you’re trying to switch between projects…

I don’t have that issue now but i noticed that using 01v96i like sound card froze Cubase on exit.
Normally I’m using RME AIO or UFX+ without a problem.
I mention this to consider your sound card driver/settings like a possible culprit too.
On Pro Tools this issue happened to me cause certain plug ins.

1 Like

It has definitely become better after each Maintenance Update. What I noticed is that with high memory projects you just need to end up waiting a while as it dumps stuff out of memory and then you can eventually close it. But like I mentioned it has become much faster to close especially since 9.5.30.

1 Like

Just to add to the voices here. I reckon mine hangs on quitting around 75% of the time. Deffo seems worse after this last windows 10 update too.

Check for driver updates for both audio and midi devices.
Well anything that needs to be unloaded, that includes buggy plugins.
I have had both bad audio drivers and drivers for a midi ctrl. Prevent Cubase closing down.
Happy hunting.

Just to add yet another voice, my Cubase Artist (updated to latest current version) hangs almost every time I shut it down. Task manager says its ‘Not Responding’, so I close it there or just shut down Windows 10 (latest update). I might have to try the possible solutions (thanks Prock). [Alternatively, we could all list every one of our plugins to see what the common ones are, then find some way to eliminate the false positives :wink:.]

Closing sessions is dicey for me too. I’ve gotten into the habit of always quitting Cubase (File > Quit or Ctrl-Q on W10), which takes a few seconds but always works.

I also know this problem. And many others do so. Here is an older thread about this topic:

I have a kinda workaround solution :smiley: I already posted it in the other thread but i repost it here:

I wrote a little programm to kill cubase everytime this happens.

Open Notepad and write:

taskkill /F /IM Cubase9.5.exe /T
taskkill /F /IM Cubase9.exe /T
taskkill /F /IM Cubase8.5.exe /T

Cubase 9 and 8.5 are optional. Just wanted to show you how it works with more than one cubase versiosn. You can kill every .exe program you like.

Now save the file with the ending > .bat > something like "Kill Cubase> .bat> " Now you can create a shortcut to the desktop if you like. If you want to put the shortcut on the windows taskbar you have to change one little thing. Open the settings for the shortcut and write in the > Target: > tab > %windir%\explorer.exe[SPACE] > before your initial target. Also delet the > " > before and at the end of your initial target. so it looks like:
Target: > %windir%\explorer.exe D:.…\Kill Cubase.cmd
After that you are able to put the shortcut on your taskbar. You can also change the symbol if you like.

I know this isn’t the best solution but Cubase gets stuck almost everytime I close it. With this solution I don’t have to open the taskmanager everytime. I just click one Icon > :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use VSL with Cubase a lot. I didn’t have a problem with this issue until I upgraded my Vienna Instruments Player to a new version. Now most of the time, I get errors or it hangs when I try to close Cubase.

Mine hangs for roughly 10 seconds then i can close.

Yes, there does seem to be some correlation with Windows updates. I’ll go months with no problem, then I get a Windows update of some kind (I think the most recent one was the big one in April?) and then it starts happening again. Every frickin’ time I have to kill the process.

AND I WOULDN’T BE UPSET IF IT WEREN’T FOR THE FACT THAT CUBASE DOESN’T SAVE ITS SETTINGS UNTIL IT EXITS. WHICH IS INSANE. IF IT WOULD SIMPLY WRITE SETTINGS AS IT WENT ALONG, IT WOULD BE A NON-ISSUE.

[/quote]
AND I WOULDN’T BE UPSET IF IT WEREN’T FOR THE FACT THAT CUBASE DOESN’T SAVE ITS SETTINGS UNTIL IT EXITS. WHICH IS INSANE. IF IT WOULD SIMPLY WRITE SETTINGS AS IT WENT ALONG, IT WOULD BE A NON-ISSUE.
[/quote]

and still… still… no changes… still the same thing…

1 Like

I just solved topic problem. Yep.
In my case turn off ‘use hub’ in preferences do the job. Version 10.5.

Some connection issues on quit probably a reason.
Is it helps?

4 Likes

Thank you, my man. It really WORKED.
Tick off the Hub thing on preferences and Cubase will close as it should.
Great stuff!

This worked for me too on 10.5 :sunglasses:
THANK YOU

Oh dear after suffering from this shutdown problem for a few years now I just tried turning the HUB off in preferences as suggested…IT WORKS
The amount of times I’ve had to redo prerefences. Thanks Guys
Cubase 10.5

Yes… Really strange thing…
this helps a lot.
thanks.
worked for me too.
with cubase 10 and 10.5 both had this issue. (may be after updating to 10.5, not sure.)
but this trick worked for me., thanks.

Still having this issue after 10.0.60 update.

Incredible.

Are you a wizard?
Finally, I’ve been struggling with this for sooooo long.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - solved.

Perfect - this solution (turn off “Use Hub” in Edit>Preferences>General) works well for me too.

Configuration summary: Cubase 11 Pro, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2

2 Likes