Please obey copyrights!

Hmm, I can’t figure out from that:

1. What “unless the site is licenced to do so” means. What site? The vid site, e.g., YouTube, etc.? How do we know what licenses YouTube has obtained?

Or, do you mean don’t post a link unless the YouTube poster has the legal permission (i.e., respecting copyright) to do so?

1. If the latter, how does one determine whether the poster of a specific YouTube, Vimeo, etc. is “licensed to do so”? We’re not lawyers/copyright investigators! If the poster doesn’t say otherwise, can we assume it’s ok? I’m thinking of vids like all the ones with titles like, “5 Tips to Better EQ”, or “Here’s me playing a song I wrote”.

And what about, “Here’s me playing ‘Yesterday’ by the Beatles”. On what basis do we assume the vid performer/poster has or has not become licensed to post? Are we supposed to make judgements that the 15-year old recording from his bedroom didn’t obtain license, but Dolly Parton did? If so, on what basis?

Given what seems like an almost infinite amount of uncertainty about licensing issues associated with probably most/almost all YouTube/Vimeo etc. postings … how does S. determine whether a link to a video runs afoul of its rules?

2 Likes