Ripple Edit - for Events and Ranges (voice overs, podcasts e.g.)

+1

+1

+1

+1

Cakewalk Sonar has this too.

+1

It’ll be good for Hollywood ‘Blockbuster’ film composers too; Zimmer, Junkie, Newton-Howard, even that BT chap featured in the new Intel advert (on the SB Facebook page). They’ll love it.!

This is a nice post from “ChrisPolus”:

"…
Ripple Editing would go a long way!

If you have multiple tracks, ripple editing also doesn’t chop up your audio like when inserting time over multiple tracks. Adjusting the timing of any voice material is crucial. It would be a huge time saver for this kind of work.

See this example. 1) No ripple edit. 2) Ripple editing for one track. 3) Ripple editing for multiple tracks. Notice how it only moves the selected clip and all clips AFTER it. No chopping up clips.

"

Thank you Chris for this Example!

Think you should look up slip editing.

Hi KHS,
Unfortunately, no.
Maybe you have misunderstood this FR?
slip editing is not comparable, with this you can only move the > "wave position inside of an audio event.
Furthermore, slip editing does not effect following events, cuts and gaps, and it doesn´t includes automation, tempo changes, markers and so on.

C.

+1

+1
Of all the suggestions I have read in this forum this gets my biggest vote. If I could do some Russian style ballot stuffing I would… :slight_smile:

Hold shift and double click the event, it will select all events after.

I have known this for a long while, but to double check if it was hard to figure out on your own I googled “cubase select all events” and it’s the second result. I also found it in the manual in 40 seconds using “ctrl F” to search in that section of the PDF.

Try to put a few minutes of research into how cubase works before requesting features or the actual improvements that could be made to the software will be lost amidst the wash of people asking for a features that already exist.

This works great for single tracks and is what I use (in fact, it’s better than having to switch to another edit mode), but if you looked at the first post thoroughly on this thread you would have seen that Cubase still lacks the additional Ripple feature (also in PT) where you can ripple ALL events (and MIDI events and automation on non-event tracks like Groups and FX) after whatever you’re moving. This is a hugely significant time-saver and workflow enhancer that Cubase needs; unless this is also there and I don’t know it.

Agreed this would be a wonderful feature. +1

Cubase does NOT have a truly comparable edit mode (especially multi-track), and could surely stand to benefit from it.

I use the feature in Reaper frequently for complex multi-track dialog editing, and the workflow is extremely fast – much faster than in Cubase. Reaper’s implementation of it is outstanding, and it’s been that way for many years. I have requested this feature for Cubase years ago, but gave up waiting for it.

But I’m happy to cast a +1 vote. Maybe Steinberg will do it this time. :slight_smile:

+1

that´s true.

• 1!

+1. I have grown used to this in Video Editors and I forget it’s missing in Cubase. But yeah, it would be -very- handy.

I don’t know whether SB will add this feature or not, but I’m posting this to show how it can be achieved now. Don’t take at as a dis to the request. (I’m reposting my post from from the Nuendo sub-forum)

But in any case, this can be done with macros, and a PLE preset.

For all tracks:
Select the earliest object to be included in the edit, then
Macro:
Locate Selection Start
Select from Cursor to end

To do this on a selection of tracks:

• Select tracks upon which objects should be moved
  • Select the earliest object to be included in the edit, then
    Macro:
  • Locate Selection Start
  • Select all on tracks
  • PLE preset:
    Property is Set: Event is Selected
    Position Beyond Cursor
    Function: Select

I’ve included the PLE preset: Steinberg Forums

Thank you Steve, this is of course helpful, but it definitely doesn’t come close to the workflow of the ripple edit mode that has been described and requested.

With the Cubase macro approach you have suggested, for example, it requires a key to be pressed EACH TIME to make the selection (obviously), which isn’t a problem if what you need to do is very simple and occasional. However, as soon as you need to do something more complex or repetitive across many little clips close together spread out over many tracks, the need to hit the key for the macro EACH TIME you change selections becomes very frustrating and slows down the workflow considerably.

For example, when editing a complex multi-track dialog project with hundreds of little clips close together (which is common for a heavy dialog session with several speakers/voice actors), where you need to adjust a tiny bit on one clip, then a tiny bit on another, then on another, then on another, etc… while ALL the following clips in the timeline ripple their positions automatically, the Cubase macro approach would be VERY tedious indeed. EVERY time you wanted to tweak a different clip (and have all the following clips ripple), you would need to hit the key command again. Which would therefore be THREE clicks or keystrokes: 1 click (select the clip to adjust) + 2 press key for macro (to run the macro and select all following clips) + 3 then click and drag.

Contrast that to the ripple MODE as requested here and once you turn the ripple MODE on, all you have to do is ONE click and it works like butter: 1 click and drag – and that’s it! Everything else automatically follows perfectly, smooth as can be.

The workflow with a ripple MODE is lightning fast when you’re doing tons of tiny little edits on any track/clip in the project, and so the Cubase macro approach you’ve kindly suggested is only really useful if you don’t have to do anything complex or repetitive.

For anything complex, the macro approach is not only very slow but ALSO more prone to human error since there are more clicks/keystrokes in between each desired action, leaving more room for mistakes to happen. From my own experience, I’ve dealt with such issues, and one misplaced click when you’re going fast and it has blown up projects for me before. A “ripple MODE” is FAR more safe.

Additionally, in Reaper (and I hate to even mention the name of the DAW here since it evokes certain negative emotions from some people here), there is a second ripple MODE that focuses just one ONE track at a time, which is another nice tool.

Hope that all makes sense.

Personally, I’ve just accepted that Steinberg hasn’t added this feature. I’ve asked for it for years and years, and I gave up on it. Maybe this thread will spark interest again. When I have to do a complex dialog editing project nowadays, I jump over to Reaper, work there for a while, export stems, then come back to Cubase (or whatever other DAW I need to use for that project). I do sincerely hope that the Steinberg developers are listening though, because if Cubase were to implement a true Ripple Editing MODE, it would be highly appreciated by many, many people, especially people who produce complex multi-track podcasts with several speakers and voice talent and also audiobooks, etc. It would be a great tool for sound designers and music producers too, who want free-form manipulation of complex layered multi-track elements.

Thank you uarte, that was a perfect and deep explanation. Music producers and film scorers (I can’t even tell you how many hundreds and hundreds of times over the past 2 1/2 years of being on Cubase that this would have been a giant time-saver and workflow boon in my scoring work) would benefit massively from this, as well.

These are the not-so-bright-and-fancy things that make working on a DAW day-in-and-day-out for your work a joy. I hope Steinberg focusses hugely on workflow enhancing features like this for the next major update, because they really make a very significant speed difference.

It’s not as if I’m debating you uarte. The act of posting a workaround is not the equivalent of saying it either replaces, or is better than, the request. Good example of a use-case for the saying ‘no good deed goes unpunished’ though.

The argumentativeness of these posts does nothing to help get this feature implemented, and I don’t doubt that my workaround is useful to some subset of users who want the feature.