in IC pro w Elements 9.5 get pre-roll to punch in record

1. In Nuendo (I guess it is the same in Cubase) make the Transport Bar visible,

2. Set your Left punch in point. I am running in bars so let’s say bar 6, although I guess it could be a time location if you want.

3. Activate Punch In.

4. Activate Pre-Roll (the icon should be just below the Left locator point you have entered) and next to it you can enter a pre-roll amount - I have entered 2.0.0.0. This means that the pre-roll, in my case, will be 2 bars. This will happen regardless of where the actual punch-in point is.

5. Press Record. The playback will then start 2 bars before the punch in point (the Left locator) every time and recording will start at the punch-in point. So if you record a bit then make a mistake, go back to where you want to punch in again, set the Left Locator to that point and press Record again - playback will then start 2 bars before the new punch-in point, and so on.

Pressing the Record button on iCPro does the same thing. You can move the Left locator on iCPro by dragging it with your finger, although I’m not sure how accurate that will be.

Actually, ‘Activate Punch In’ does not seem to be necessary on my system as recording will always start at the Left locator if the Record button is pressed.

Does that answer your question?

PS, I’ve never used Pre-roll before, but now that I’ve worked out how to do it I certainly will now.