sell me on Halion for sound design and building your library

Here is where I am confused about whether a sampler is what I actually need: Because I am so accustomed to physically placing the audio into a project, as opposed to triggering it with a keystroke, Im having a hard time picturing what I will be looking at in a project overview window. The SX version of Cubase did not have VST tracks, as I recall I had to use a MIDI track and a VST wrapper to use VST instruments. But I digress.

Well, it’s up to you to decide whether you need a sampler or not. If you prefer working purely with samples in project window then you would be better off buying sample packs instead of sampler.

But I suggest to download trial and find out for yourself.

Yes, you can point it to your sample folders so that they will be accessible from Halion, you can categorize and tag them as you wish so you can quickly find them. Halion is great sound design tool but you would be creating an instrument which will be be triggered by midi as opposed to working directly with audio files in project window.

Would I be using a sampler track and importing from Halion into it as an option?

Exactly the other way around. You can import from sampler track into Halion.

I want to be able to import all my created audio sounds into a library, and be searchable, preferably by more than one “tag”.
I’d like to be able to change the sound within a project and if I decide the changed version should be a new sound then I can add it to the library.
I’d like to be able to store a grouping of sounds I like to use together.

You can do most of it using Cubase MediaBay