A Competent PLAY engine/tab?

You didn’t add a custom articulation because you can’t. What you did, at best, was adding Text — plain text — over something on the score. That’s why it doesn’t show up in the Playing Techniques.

It will most likely, some day in the future, but not now.

1. When looking through the techniques listed in that picture… how do I know which ones will actually work? If my “job to do” is to make a mock-up, then Dorico isn’t helping me do that job here. It’s still just an engraver.

A technique doesn’t “work”. Expression maps are called that because they map certain inputs to certain outputs. That’s it. It has no business in what’s on the other end of the map. It’s like you’re suggesting that we shouldn’t be able to write a note outside a certain sample library’s range because that note wouldn’t play. You have to understand that yes, notation and playback are fundamentally decoupled. And it’s not because of some bias that’s out to get you, the end user — it’s because of the fundamental difference in one and the other’s data models.

If I’m working on a cello staff, does Dorico know the type of instrument I’m working on? If it does, then my request is to have the > AVAILABLE (mapped to sounds) technique icons highlighted> , so I know what I can use. If you were working with as many samples as many users these days have, you’d realize why I’m asking. I simply can’t know every sound I have. There’s far too many to navigate. Again, the “job to do” is harder in Dorico right now.

Neither can Dorico, by the way.

1. All that may not even be impossible, as I can’t see where my “feta cheese” test articulation ever ended up. It’s surely IN Dorico, but where? On the PlAY tab, where you set which expression map applies to the track… my request is that > Dorico should then ALSO associate that map with that instrument type automatically> … OR let me toggle such an association… so it can show up via request #2. My guess is that this (or an alternative option) would be required for #2 to be as automatic as it is.

Does any DAW or notation program automatically and dynamically load expression maps, other than the ones from its default library (on which it is hardcoded to do so)? I’m genuinely curious.

Hopefully you can see why I can’t actually get all my samples into Dorico as of now. Even if I could, I can’t see how the current design helps me know what mock-up sounds I’m working with.

Another genuine question: what are your setup and workflow right now (so I can understand where you’re coming from)?