H6 Snippets for Visual Studio Code

Anyone using Visual Studio Code as external script editor?

I wanted to share my user snippets. They contain pre-defined functions used by Halion and also modulation source and destination type names.
I packaged the snippets as extension. Just search for ā€œH6 Snippetsā€ in vscode extensions.

1 Like

Iā€™m using brackets and tinkered with the lua extension to include Halion function for highlighting, but not auto-completion.

Think Iā€™m going to give Visual Studio Code a try though, because this will save major amounts of time.

Iā€™m liking VSC a lot. Seems more polished than Brackets and the lua integration is much better.

Your snippets are the best thing since butter on toast BTW. Really enjoying it.

Hi Aposmus,

Iā€™m glad you like it.

I was using Zerobrane studio which I think is a great lua editor with debugger, but not that easy to expand or customize. Unless you really know what youā€™re doing.

In VSC you can easily expand the extension with your own user snippets. They can also be more complex and can be assigned to key command.

Iā€™ve assigned (Shift+I then 1) to insert the following, where I can tab through the ā€œ$ā€ placeholders.

for i, $ in ipairs($) do
    $
end

Yes, Brackets also has lots of expansion capabilities, but not in any user friendly way.

Have you tried this Lua extension for VSC Lua - Visual Studio Marketplace
It does great auto completing and has functions like ā€œforā€ for normal loop, ā€œforiā€ for ipairs and ā€œforpā€ for pairs and many others.

:smiley: This one is one of the most popular. Yes, Iā€™ve tried it and itā€™s great. But I find the autocomplete to be ā€œtoo goodā€ at times. So you end up deleting and changing a lot of things afterwards.

Another thing Iā€™ve noticed is that if you have too many extensions active at the same time they can cause conflicts.

Iā€™m busy with a Halion function highlighter for VS Code. Will share the link when Iā€™m done, if anyone is interested.

It helps a lot if you can quickly identify Halion Script functions by colour in a long script.

Awesome! Youā€™re the real MVP!