Need advice about using computer w/ cubase live

I need to work out what it the best way to use a click track live and how I could use that to tempo sync to my Axe-fx and boomererang III looper pedal.

I at the moment have a 27" mac with cubase 6 on it, as well as an axe-fx and a boomerang looper.

I am thinking of buying a macbookpro for use live so I don’t have to cart my mega heavy mac to gigs.

I am also terribly scared that cubase will be ill suited and/or unreliable, so I’ve thinking about buying ableton live.

Also would it be possible (if so, how?) to sync the tempo’s in ableton or cubase to the axe-fx and the boomerang (as surely when using it for loops it would slowly go out of time if you did it manually?

I think that’s all, cheers guys

I think the best way to check is to get a USB key and trial Cubase 6.

No no no, I have cubase 6, the full version. I just need advise (Y)

Oops!

Haha, no worries dude :slight_smile:

Some guitar fx boxes will sync via midi. F.ex. some Roland and Line6 units. So that will work. Cubase6 will handle this on your MBP. You will of cause need a midi interface…

On the other hand Cubase (or Ableton) might be a little overkill for just a click track…

Have you looked at Mainstage? Depending on how you want to work this might be a better solution.

Hmmm, maybe, I’ll have a look, but I forgot to mention that I would also want to uses samples live alongside the click.
Thanks

If a firewire soundcard, make sure to get a TI chipset.

Mainstage will play samples. And be a looper too. Unless you have a vintage amp set up this might be a good solution. Watch the videos for guitar players here: Logic Pro for Mac - Apple

I don’t know what will be the best solution for you. I have one big problem with running Cubase on my MBP and that is the dongle. I really don’t like to carry my usb dongle around.

If a firewire soundcard, make sure to get a TI chipset.

Sorry I’m not really sure what you mean, right now I have Edirol UA-25, would I need something more powerful or something?

Mainstage will play samples. And be a looper too. Unless you have a vintage amp set up this might be a good solution. Watch the videos for guitar players here: > Logic Pro for Mac - Apple

I don’t know what will be the best solution for you. I have one big problem with running Cubase on my MBP and that is the dongle. I really don’t like to carry my usb dongle around.

Mainstage 2 does look good, would it be more suitable than ableton? TBH I really don’t need the amp models or pedals, but the looper was good, but from what I’ve seen it’s not as good as the ableton one.

And yeh I’d hate bringing the dongle, probably more about forgetting it than losing it. Does Mainstage and ableton use them?

Cheers for the responses guy :slight_smile:

That’s USB so there’s no issue.

There are no issues with MBP’s and FireWire interfaces either.

There are no issues with MBP’s and FireWire interfaces either.

Sorry what is an MBP?

There are if there isn’t a TI chipset.

Then Apple probably use a TI chipset :slight_smile: Why use something that doesn’t work for audio and video? MBP’s are very much made for that.