Repurposing CMC series devices as MIDI controllers

Thanks ! i’m completly new to Bome in fact, so will take my time to learn it fully ! thank you for your help :slight_smile: !

You won’t be sorry. You might consider getting a CMC-TP instead of another FD, then you get some buttons and 1 more fader.

Yes i’m searching since 2 weeks a CMC TP and CH ! :slight_smile: I’m getting a Korg Nanopad tomorrow, for launching articulation of libraries, but yes, trying my best to find a CH and TP ! but so hard to find ! but i don’t give up :slight_smile: !
I would have loved a PD as well instead of the nanopad but didn’t find one yet too… Patience, patience :wink:.

Well, it seems i’m a good luck, found a “like new” CH on ebay 10 seconds ago. a bit expensive but, i took it ! i’m in france, and it’s coming from USA, i hope it will not take too much time to come and will work well :slight_smile: ahahah, now a TP and i’ll be happy :slight_smile: Thanks again for all your help and tricks :slight_smile: !

Hi steve, i think i found the solution , maybe for you too, to stop disconnecting manually the FD in cubase !
the yamaha USB midi driver is what make the unit to work as a midi gear

but the CMC application is WHAT make the module to act as “steinberg FD” in cubase !
uninstall this application, and the module will be seen as a normal midi controlleur !
no need anymore to manually remove them in cubase each time to be able to do something else with it !

positive point : no more manual removing. act like any midi controler in cubase.

negative point : the fader is seen as a pitch bend command who is not accepted as a controller in the Midi protocol, but a controler of his own.
it’s seen as “unknown” in the generic controller set up.

To change this, bome is of course the solution !

second negative point who can be bypassed with some patience i think :
a) by doing this, the FD can’t anymore work in “normal steinberg FD mode”, until reinstalled the CMC application.
I didn’t tried it yet but i’m sure it’s possible: changing each fader as a CC. from this point, we just need to create a new generic controler in the hardware config panel of cubase and re create how the FD was working with the CMC application !
page + and- as shorcut , fader as fader controler in the mix console etc !

from there, we could load one bome preset with “FD legacy mode”, and it will work as a Fader mix console normally.
and let’s write a second preset called “Fader to CC / Keyswitch” as CC01, CC07 CC16, CC17 etc …

much faster than going in the panel and each time removing the module.

just fyi everyone, ive fried one of my CHCs (PD) because even though i power down my PC the CMCs still get USB power from my hub. Its really worth turning them off when not in use to save them. I still dont know what happened to my old PD really or why. But its spare parts now. I found another PD in a drum store (thank god)…i use my PD in “F16” mode so all 16 pads can be a separate Cubase function. Incredibly handy. One button is labelled “normalize”…another one “render” etc. just reach over and press…gold.

ALso go to a hardware store if you have several CMCs like the FDs, and get some white plastic U -shaped trim. Theres one about 1cm wide that works really well, you clip it across the top of the CMCs all together and it holds them tight and in place on your desk, saves you chasing them around and separating from each other (even when using those dodgy clips). keeps em nice and tight and neat.

Cheers,
Blackout

here ya go it looks like this (pointing at it)…

Hi ! for my FD (and soon CH), i use a usb Hub who have a turn on/off button for EACH PORT. it’s the only solution. i could point to ama*on the one i’m using but don’t know if we’re allowed to do this here. it’s a 4 usb 3.0 hub plugged in an another 2.0 hub (my computer is 5 meters away from me, and only usb 2.0 have very long cable, not usb 3.0). so i turn on each CMC and turn off like that !

your picture is cool ! i must find same paper to label each button, it’s look so nice !

i’m searching desesperatly a CMC PD. didn’t found one yet :frowning:. i use the clip shipped with the CMC to keep them together. work pretty well. don’t know what a plastic U shped trim is, i’ll look into it (my english is not that good !).

Now i’m trying to make the FD to work as it would with CMC application but without it ! not easy ! i don’t know how to send from cubase, the position of the fader in the mixer to the FD ! Don’t know if it’s possible, or if only the CMC application make this possible. time to read the manual of C9 Pro… :frowning:

Martyprod, I wonder what’s different in our setups? When I turn on my hub with Cubase running, the CMC-FDs and CMC-TP that are plugged in to it are not seen by Cubase.

Good question !!! Would love to have it not recognized when turned on in cubase !! we have the same Pro cubase 9 version ! (0.20).
i use the last CMC firmware and last usb midi driver and last CMC application (for now i removed it).

that would be cool to know how you do it to have it not recognized after cubase started running, so i don’t need anymore to try to understand how to reprogram everything lol !

Partial answer !

i have 2 FD !

2xFD turned on before cubase = both are seen normally in cubase as CMC controler.
2xFD turned off and once cubase is launch i start the 2xFD, the first one is launched in FD CMC normal mode.
only the second one stay disconnected !

in the Midi port : i don’t know why, but the first one has Midi “active”, and the second one has “Inactive” Midi !
normally both of them AFTER cubase, they must be inactive, but i don’t know why, the first one is active, and not the second one.

Still better than having the 2 FD seen as active :smiley: at least, i can use one with Bome ! :slight_smile:.

it is white electrical tape that i have cut into slices to fit. Sticks. easy to write on with black sharpie pen.

i am pointing at the plastic u shaped trim in the pic, along the top of the CMCs connecting them together!

you need to turn on your CMCs before you start Cubase. It only scans for them when it boots. You cant turn on CMCs in the middle of a session and expect Cubase to see it!

i can film you cubase, with the both FD turned off, and when cubase is ready, i turn them on, and you’ll see that the first one is seen by cubase, and it will add it to the list of the controler ! (sorry i don’t know the english of this) but not the second one !

i think you are just lucky Marty. They are not meant to work like this. I assume the second one is seen when you close and restart Cubase tho?

(Also try changing the order of the CMC USB plugs in your hub. It might auto-sense the first plug location but not the rest.)

yes, thanks for the tip ! i’ll try to find this ! very useful ! especially as soon i’ll receive my CH :slight_smile: !

well, i’ll call it “unlucky” lol, as i want both to not be seen by cubase ahah.

that’s possible !! i try it immediatly !

ok here are the result :
i launch cubase with FD (both) turned off. i turn both of them at the same time when cubase is ready. result ? both are seen as CMC controler with their CMC application. both !
i close cubase, completly. i turn off the two FD ! i launch again cubase. and now i turn the FIRST FD module only. cubase see it again as a CMC FD ! i turn the second one, and it does not see the second one ! he just add it in the list of midi input and ouptut !

so the key is maybe to do not turn off them at the same time (my hub has a switch on/off for EACH USB PORT).
at least one work as a CMC and the other one as a midi controler.

but anyway didn’t succeded yet to have both seen as midi controller and none as FD !

I don’t want Cubase to see the CMC-FDs.

i don’t want too !! :frowning: no idea why it see them at least one. maybe it’s related to the hub ? it’s an usb 3.0 hub switch, this one :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then just remove them from the list of installed controllers in Cubase Setup

Devices/Device Setup/ Remote Devices list