Can import from CD Drive, but not burn

My point is exactly that it’s not about specific hardware. In my case, with two Plextor burners on a Win 10 Pro (all updated) machine, I never had a problem as long as I can remember. Don’t even remember if Gear is installed or not.

If a mastering engineer with a purpose built audio PC and a clean install of Windows 10 can not read / import or burn CDs then your percentages don’t matter. This is a problem.

If users on different continents can get the 3000 Fail Error from the Gear verification program, then there is a problem.

Gear is confirming their drivers no longer work effective the within the past 6 weeks. Something changed somewhere.

Because the first thing I did with the demo of Wavelab was import a CD on regular mode and on super picky mode to compare the read errors.

Then something (WIndows?) changed and now the drivers do not load at start up.

Gear is confirming their drivers no longer work effective the within the past 6 weeks.

I am surprised. Where do you get this information from?

Philippe

Only with Windows 10 or with all versions of Windows? This is pretty serious since WL uses their drivers for burning.

Double post

I’m so glad you found this royalpainintheass. I just think it’s strange that Gear apparently didn’t tell the Gear powered software developers that there was a problem. There can’t be all that many.

But your message prompted me to try something I hadn’t before, that seems to fix the problem we were both having. At least it works here: A compatibility Install. I had tried Run as Admin, repair in add/remove, and all troubleshooting on the Gear site including manual uninstall without success, but the compatibility install seems to work fine, until they get a new installer made, I would guess.

I don’t think anybody who’s not having problems needs to do this, only somebody trying new installs on the latest Win 10, like me and RPITA. (Although it’s weird that royalpainintheass had it and lost it). But my other computer with its existing install on latest Win 10 still works fine.

1. Uninstall GearDriverInstaller in control panel installed programs if it’s there.

2. Download the GearDriverInstaller.x86.x64 from the Gear site that PG linked.

3. Right click the installer and select Troubleshoot compatibility.

4. select Try recommended settings.

5. select Test the program.

6. select Next

7. select Save these settings.

8. When done, run GearASPICheck64 from the Gear site that PG linked, and it ‘should’ be good, I hope.

Worked fine here anyway.

Actually, fwiw, I’m still on Win 10 version 1607 on both of these computers (I keep saying latest version, sorry). Don’t have the Creators update yet.

My main sound card drivers had to be reinstalled after last week’s Windows update. This has happened on more than one previous occasion. It takes considerable care to decide whose fault something like that is.

My WL demo expired and no one at Steinberg was interested in giving me another 30 days so I would have to purchase WL to test if this works.

This is a language issue.

The Gear Diagnostic program confirms the drivers do not work. You get error 30000. Also the drivers are listed as not-started in system tray when you look at processes and applications. You read my response to mean someone from Gear actually answered me (They have not. I’ve written three case logs, one direct email to them - no reply. Nothing from Gear).

But the first day I installed WL in 10 the first thing I did was rip a CD using fast and picky mode - to test the differences. I did. It worked fine. The next day, WL would not recognize the CD Drive anymore. I started the entire litany of Gear Drivers and test programs.

Well I hope Steinberg reconsiders and sends you another trial. But you don’t need to use Wavelab to try the Gear install I suggested, and if the Gear works and verifies, I’d be willing to bet the drive would show up again in Wavelab, because that’s exactly what happened when I got it going.

Bob99, you are a Prince among men. Thank you for your help on this. I’ll test when I can and report back.

GEARAspiWDM service is not running
Driver verification has completed.

Drivers are not correctly installed. Error 3000000.

It might seem trivial, but are you running the install as administrator? Even if the instructions don’t require this, I have come across situations when it can make the difference.

Paul

PS: I mean using “run as administrator”, not just being logged in as user “administrator” or another user with admin privileges.

Sorry it didn’t work. To see if I could reproduce it, I uninstalled and tried normal and compatible installs again. And now I can’t get it running and verified again with either. I’ve had at least one Windows 10 update session since I got it working a few days ago, but I’m pretty convinced this is now a moving target with Win 10 Updates and new Gear installs until Gear takes a look at what’s going on.

If I’d left my install as it was earlier tonight, it would still be working fine, as everyone else’s is who hasn’t touched their systems. (if you’re not having a problem I wouldn’t touch anything).

In my case it might be because of other Gear powered software (itunes, symantec) but I’ve run both without issue for years, and I’ve always been able to install the Gear drivers successfully, but not now. I much more suspect (since I got it working with compatible install before) that it’s the gear installer itself and all the Win 10 updates going on. Maybe everything will work fine in a week after another Win 10 update. But maybe it’ll get worse.

I know there are only 2 cases so far (me and RPITA), but if Steinberg is the support for the Gear Drivers in this case (as Gear says on their website), it would be helpful if somebody from Steinberg could ask Gear to take a look at this discussion. And to try the install themselves on Win 10 anniversary edition with current updates. The installer hasn’t changed (it seems to be 3 years old), but Win 10 seems to be currently changing things.

It’s a good suggestion but it’s made no difference in my case all along. run as admin attemped for installs and uninstalls etc. without change.

Yes.
Its not trivial, either. People who don’t use Windows a lot probably don’t know about the pitfalls of installing applications as a general user.

Yes.
(Aside:I would bet lots of money that being logged in as Administrator in 10 isn’t really Administrator. They still withhold permissions, especially with respect to writing to root. But that is a different topic. And one that has been discussed extensively on the Microsoft forums by confused/angry users).

Was a beta tester for for WIndows for Workgroups and Office version(s) 1, 2, and 3.

I ran the latest GEAR update and it still produces the 30000 error mentioned earlier. I have no GEAR processes running that I can see.

WL6 sees and imports from CD with no problem. The only way I see that I can burn a CD at the moment is to create a CUE sheet and use WL6 - this is not a good situation to be in.

Jim

Have you tried removing the “UpperFilters” and “LowerFilters” entries from the registry? It’s Method 5 on this page, and has solved such problems for me in the distant past.

Paul

That thread assumes the CD drive is not recognized.

The CD drive is recognized and can read and write by every Windows Application except Wavelab 9pro.

The following have no issue using the drive and burning a CD:

Sequoia 12
Sonoris DDP Player / OEM
iTunes (flipping iTunes on Windows - and it works).
JRiver Media Player
Windows Explorer
etc…